Full Metal Alchemist 2

The latest and greatest of Japanese Animation. Found something new, or perhaps old and arcane... if it has to do with anime, it goes right here.

Moderator: EG Members

hadi
This is my new home

Full Metal Alchemist 2

Post by hadi »

Yup that's right :)
new anime series is out with two episodes so far
the series is titled
Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Re: Full Metal Alchemist 2

Post by Eldo »

Actually didn't know that. Is it any good? I'm a bit of a fan of the original.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
Loeviz
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Loeviz »

It´s good so if you liked FMA you should see this.

\"No Sane man will dance.\"
-- Marcus Tullius Cicero (106-43 BC)
papasith
Augh! Bright sky fire burn eyes!

Post by papasith »

So far its very good, the next episode ( the third one) will make or break it for me.
the first two happen right before the last anime started so kind of new, or same thing told in a new way.
the third episode pick up where the other one began more or less, so time will tell if it can stay enjoyable through such similar events, for me at least
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

OK, I've watched 2 episodes so far. I had thought that the Elric brothers are all done, and that this would be some sort of sequel, but it's not. It's rather a retelling of the series we all love from another perspective. I think this is starting to resemble the manga more than the anime series ('first season') itself. Some good and bad:

Good: Hey, it's FMA! All the characters we know and love are here!
Bad: Since we are too acquainted with the characters, all the surprises are gone. Like Bradley being a homunculus; that was a big surprise in the anime series. We all know who the characters are, how the story goes, and people watching this is watching it for the variance of the plot. Nothing new to the formula, just a different presentation.

So episode 2 was basically just a whole rerun. And episode 3 would seem to be the same way as well. They're just rehashing scenes from the previous series and cutting and pasting it to a new story. So it is quite possibly going to be 30% old scenes and 70% new ones. They only have to make 70% of a new anime series, so it shouldn't be that much hard work for them. This is starting to resemble Gundam Seed Destiny, but hey, it's FMA2, nobody would complain about it (except for me). I scanned throughout the episodes.

I don't know, perhaps I let my expectations get the better of me, I thought it would be a sequel and we will be introduced to new characters (leads and everything) and new settings, but it's the same ones. However, it's only episode 2, so I might be a bit rough. I might also not be a fan of anime anymore as well, which may have contributed to the negativity.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

No, it's not a sequel. From what I understand they're redoing the series to make it more like the manga, which is the whole point. I don't know if you read the manga or not Eldo, but it's a lot better than the first anime was. The first series turns into filler about halfway through and just starts doing it's own thing. I think the point this time around is to stick to the manga, at least I hope so, because the manga is really great, way better than the second half of the first anime. So if you like the manga, then you should enjoy this anime.
uncempt
Buzkashi wannabe

Post by uncempt »

I just watched ep4 and the stuff with Nina seemed a bit rushed compared to the first series. But I guess they'd want to get through the common story as quick as possible to move onto the new stuff. I don't like it as much as the first one so far though. I wonder how many episodes before the story diverges?
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

Why do they even bother, just start the new series from where it changes direction.
Audentis Fortuna Juvet - Virgil
papasith
Augh! Bright sky fire burn eyes!

Post by papasith »

im personally enjoying this series. but i guess speeding things up in the beginning is a bit annoying, but the essense of the story is the same, which is mroe then i can say for alot of animes (compared to the mangas that is)
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

Love it till now, although I hope that real new stuff will begin to happen soon now. Next episode will be Hughes final one it seems, can't wait to see that. That and a flaming Roy Mustang who "kills" Maria Ross in vengance.
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

what is different? i don't have the time to read the manga, nor really the desire, i like fullmetal because of vic mignonia really
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

The Herald wrote:what is different? i don't have the time to read the manga, nor really the desire, i like fullmetal because of vic mignonia really
Pretty much EVERYTHING that was revealed about the philosophers stone and most of the homunculi are different. IIRC even [spoiler]Hughes' Killer[/spoiler] wasn't the one who did it in the manga in the first anime. And of course everything from like episode 30 or so from the old anime was completely fiction.

P.S. David Turba kicks Vic Mignonia's ass as Edward Elric :D
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

Who's David Turba? I just like Vic Micnognia, he's a cool dude (plus he has points over the other guy because I never had a conversation with the other guy about baseball and Barry Manilow). I didn't really get the anime around the end, but I always wanted Ed to get with SOMEONE, like Winrey was begging for it man, but I did like how they connected it to the real world, I like it when they do that with fantasies.
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

The Herald wrote:Who's David Turba? I just like Vic Micnognia, he's a cool dude (plus he has points over the other guy because I never had a conversation with the other guy about baseball and Barry Manilow). I didn't really get the anime around the end, but I always wanted Ed to get with SOMEONE, like Winrey was begging for it man, but I did like how they connected it to the real world, I like it when they do that with fantasies.
David Turba is the german Voice of Edward, and also Shaia Lebouf or however his name is written. That's what I like about german dubs, they usually have these "celebrity" voices which feel very familiar from the spot.

Concerning Ed x Winry. At least in the Manga Winry admitted (at least to herself) that she's completely in love with Ed. And we all know Ed really cares about her too, so there you go.
I really gotta read up on the latest manga chapters sometimes, stopped at chapter 74 or something like that
[spoiler]When Scar had Winry as a "Hostage" which wasn't really one, in some snow covered plains[/spoiler].
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

that's why i really get annoyed with anime and manga a lot, they say they're in love but nothing happens! it did in the old days, like with sdf macross and ms gundam, and berserk of course, but they were geared to guys. the new ones like escaflowne are geared for girls and no kissing or fooling around or anything happens! so boring. i think that was why i first liked berserk, it actually had a sex scene in it, that's so rare in anime. i think that's gotta be my biggest complaint with anime, all the build up then nothing but saying 'i love you', argh, major headache.
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

The Herald wrote:that's why i really get annoyed with anime and manga a lot, they say they're in love but nothing happens! it did in the old days, like with sdf macross and ms gundam, and berserk of course, but they were geared to guys. the new ones like escaflowne are geared for girls and no kissing or fooling around or anything happens! so boring. i think that was why i first liked berserk, it actually had a sex scene in it, that's so rare in anime. i think that's gotta be my biggest complaint with anime, all the build up then nothing but saying 'i love you', argh, major headache.
That's not a phenomenom exlusive to anime though. It's all too common in Hollywood series too, like X-Files and the likes.
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

It's lot more prevalent in anime though, regarding the ones that do the whole leading up to a romance that never happens.
fujinsan
Flexing spam muscles

Post by fujinsan »

So far I have the whole anime on my hard drive, I like it, it's a good retelling of the originaly imo.
thepeaguy
notanewb

Post by thepeaguy »

I was figuratively jizzing my pants when I first read about the new FMA series on Wiki. It'd be nice to see Vic Mignogna voicing Edward Elric again - I thought the English dubbing from the first series was pretty good myself. 8)
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

I watched episodes 35 - 46 yesterday, because I hadn't watched any anime for some time now.

Really awesome how the story is going forward. It seems it's about engame now, so I think the series will have ~52 episodes again.

To those who read the manga fully (I stopped reading somewhere around chapter 74 I think) is the story in the new anime still the same as in the manga? Because at least until chapter 74 the story in the new anime was exactly the same as in the manga, which is awesome.