The DBZ Thread

The latest and greatest of Japanese Animation. Found something new, or perhaps old and arcane... if it has to do with anime, it goes right here.

Moderator: EG Members

The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Re: The DBZ Thread

Post by The Herald »

Starnum wrote:Anyone ever notice how SSJ3 Goku has no eyebrows? I have a theory about that. I believe that his eyebrows are somehow consumed by his forehead and converted into all that extra long hair on his head. How can such short hairs produce so much long hair? It's a Super Saiyan thing, don't question the logic! :lol:

Yeah, I double-posted, sue me.
Okay, you owe me $100 for bugging me about the same very thing. :rulez: I remember reading somewhere that every time Goku, or any other character for that matter, ascended another level of super saiyan that they got more apeish, or neanderthalic. Not so sure how SS1 or 2 correspond to that, but in 3 Goku is supposed to look feral with the pronounced forehead and crazy long hair. And SS4 is just totally aped out because he's got a tail and hair and everything. Not to mention that Goku (and kind of Vegeta too) had to be golden oozaru before going SS4 (but this all happens in DBGT and therefore will be ignored).

On another note, purely because Vegeta is Starnum's avatar and he posted before me, how do you think he and Bulma got it on? What if in the heat of the moment Vegeta went all super saiyan and like accidentally ripped her to shreds? And what about poor ol' Vegeta? I'm pretty sure Bulma was the first chick he ever slept with, being a recluse soldier all of his life, which kinda sucks for him because she's 5 years older than him and was Yamcha's gf, and he totally cheated on her. I betcha though that any STD that may have been contracted would have been eliminated by Bulma's impressive use of technology and Vegeta's good Saiyan immune system. It sucks though for Vegeta that both his kids have douchy hair colors though. And yes, red bull and ADD don't mix well.
Audentis Fortuna Juvet - Virgil
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

What is the lamezors SSJ4 you speak of? It must be stricken from the record. Your theory about them becoming more apish as they progress is obviously flawed and completely ridiculous. The "Eyebrow Hair Theory" is clearly superior. :P

Um, Vegeta is able to control his power, and thus make sweet love to his woman without hurting her. Also, Yamcha only wishes he had tapped that, as I'm sure Vegeta was Bulma's first as well. So enough of this absurd talk of STD's.
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

Yeah, Bulma being a virgin in her 30s, that's rich :lol:. It only works for Vegeta because he was constantly fighting and making war. No wonder he was so angry all the time. All he needed was a good lay. After he and Bulma got it on he was chill enough to become super saiyan.

Okay Starnum, you say you and your wife are rewatching DBZ right? Do you know about this wierd ass glitch in the storyline, that's monumentally dumb and confusing, even by DBZ standards around eps 107, right after Goku 'beats' Frieza and everybody is back on Earth? It's so fucked up man, Vegeta and Gohan get into a fight and then Vegeta flies away, seemingly never to return. Then the next episode Vegeta's right there at Capsule Corp., chilling out, being ordered around by Bulma. I had to take a double take when I most recently watched it.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

The Herald wrote:Yeah, Bulma being a virgin in her 30s, that's rich :lol:
Hey, it's DBZ, it's totally possible, heh. I can't imagine Goku even knew anything about sex, Chichi probably had to rape him the first time. XD
The Herald wrote:Okay Starnum, you say you and your wife are rewatching DBZ right? Do you know about this wierd ass glitch in the storyline, that's monumentally dumb and confusing, even by DBZ standards around eps 107, right after Goku 'beats' Frieza and everybody is back on Earth? It's so fucked up man, Vegeta and Gohan get into a fight and then Vegeta flies away, seemingly never to return. Then the next episode Vegeta's right there at Capsule Corp., chilling out, being ordered around by Bulma. I had to take a double take when I most recently watched it.
I'm pretty sure the episode where Vegeta got mad and stormed off like that was filler, because it seemed to have a lot of flash-backing as I recall, even for a DBZ episode. So I wouldn't worry about that episode too much. Anyway, it seemed a little out of character for even Vegeta to immediately start picking on Gohan after his father had supposedly just been killed.
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

Yeah, but Goku married Chi Chi at 19, and a lot of people lose their virginity at that age. I don't think she raped him, I think that his hormones got clicked on and his brain went 'oh yeah, this is what girls are for, yay'.

And as for that episode, I always thought that was filler. Some of the DBZ fillers were real hit or misses, I liked the eps where Goku and Piccolo get their driver's licenses, that was the kind of silly funny you expect from DBZ, but then there are ones that screw up the storyline like the one mentioned above. At least the fillers don't slow down the story like in Naruto. Take the black mist storyline for example, that bit had an important role in defining Gohan's character. A lot of stories wouldn't be complete without a little character defining filler, and sometimes I wish that there was more of it in Berserk.
DrPepperPro
Dirty Sennin

Post by DrPepperPro »

Skull Knight filler plz.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

You know, I could handle some random filler of SK just going and killing apostles and gathering their behelits. That'd be dope! ;)
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

Favorites from DBZ:
Quote: Goku: "Vegeta's gonna be a daddy? That's great!"
Episode: The one where Vegeta dies (the first time :P) and is telling Goku how Freiza basically fucked him over his whole life.
Male character: Gohan, all ages, because he's the strongest when he's 11, and because he's also really smart, but does that dumb Great Saiyaman thing.
Female character: Bulma, because she's awesome.
Gadget: Power reading headset
Race: need I say?

I'd like to see what everyone else has to say.
DrPepperPro
Dirty Sennin

Post by DrPepperPro »

Too hard to pick favorites, I just love the whole thing.
Shizuka
imanewbie

Post by Shizuka »

ok, i like videl, vegeta, the dragon radar, i think you mean saiyans because your avatar is a saiyan, so me too, favorite episode is when hercule arrives and rips the phone books, and favorite line is when they call gohan the pizza boy

didn't you forget favorite place? i like capsule corp
Baseball is 90% mental, and the other half is physical - Yogi Bera
DrPepperPro
Dirty Sennin

Post by DrPepperPro »

the race he meant was Piccolo vs Goku in the driving episode. best race ever.
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

I just rewatched the Cell Games and I think that right after Cell hit Trunks and Vegeta went berserk, that Vegeta went super saiyan 2. You can't really tell from his hair because, well, his hair always looks the same, even if its wet. My logic stems from his actions and that when he was knocked out he was still super saiyan.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

I was thinking that at one point too. There's no way to prove it, but I suppose it's possible. That would definitely be an event that could trigger it. However, if that had been the case, I think his attacks would have done a lot more damage, because they didn't even phase Cell. As much as I'd like to think Vegeta went SSJ2 before Goku, I still kind of doubt it. He was probably still only level one. He just got really mad and wasted his energy. It was noble, but ultimately it was also futile in the end. If he had been SSJ2 at that point, he probably would have blown Cell away, if not at least injured him a bit.
Shizuka
imanewbie

Post by Shizuka »

yeah, but at that part there was the ss2 music that was playing while gohan transformed. but he didn't do a lot of damage, but he could have just not been hitting him, there was a lot of dust around at that point. why are all the animals and landscapes so good in dbz but the people so cartoony?
Baseball is 90% mental, and the other half is physical - Yogi Bera
DrPepperPro
Dirty Sennin

Post by DrPepperPro »

Those things don't move, so they can be drawn alot nicer. It's the same with pretty much any anime before computers were used to animate. That's why you can tell when something in the background is about to get blown up because it looks a lot simpler.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

I'm fairly sure he was hitting him. The blast were exploding because Cell was probably blocking them, he didn't seem to move at all, unless he was using subtle dodges. He could have been using #17's barrier again, that would give him extra defense, but I think they would have shown him using it if that had been the case. Like I said it's possible, but I still kind of doubt it. *shrugs*
Deathbringer
n00b eater

Post by Deathbringer »

So...you guys heard about the DBZ remake right?

They´re cutting it to 100 episodes so they´re giving any kind of filler the finger and said that they were using the most advanced technology for the best animation possible.

Old cast, yadda yadda, commemorate the series 20 years or something.

Will probably watch it out of interest.
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

I'm weary, but I will check them out.
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
DrPepperPro
Dirty Sennin

Post by DrPepperPro »

cool
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Interesting, I had not heard this. I'll probably check it out.
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

Cmon, not another one. One of DBZ's charms was the filler, I really liked it. Plus how the animation changed, I really liked that too, gave the show character. I get that they're trying to make it more like the manga, but IMO the manga moved through the story so quickly, you could miss so much info. I mean, at episode 200 that was book 20, so basically they were animating 10 episodes per book or so. Now they're cutting it down by almost a third, I sure hope this isn't a disappointment. But something inside me says that this may be another practical joke, like DBAF.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Well we'll see if it's legit or not, but I honestly can do without filler. I usually skip filler when watching anime, even while re-watching DBZ. 100 episodes is less than half of the original series though, so we'll see how it comes out if it really does.
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

Still feels like a slap to the face. Anyways, I just watched the movie Super Android 13 and I am glad I watched the dubbed version because it was too funny what Vegeta said at the end:

So the end is everybody but Vegeta and Piccolo are in the hospital after fighting the android on an ice berg, or whatever that was. Then it cuts back to Vegeta and Piccolo sitting on this teeny weeny piece of ice about the size of a table:

Piccolo: Is it over yet?
Vegeta: It's not over 'til the fish jumps.
A fish jumps out of the water near Vegeta.
Vegeta: (very hastily) it's over.

Dont' know if that was in the Japanese dub, but it was golden. In any case I always find it hard to watch the movies because they kind of fuck with the storyline.
DrPepperPro
Dirty Sennin

Post by DrPepperPro »

I'm pretty sure in the jap version it was just silence.
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

http://www.watch-dragonball.com/watch/5 ... _2009.html

Dudes, any fans of DBZ must check this out!!! It's seriously fucked up. I thought it was a fan done thing, but it's not, it's too wierd ... and I liked the old not so clean style.

New edit: if any of you reading this are Vegeta fans STAY AWAY FROM THIS VIDEO!!! It's humiliating. Destroys all of the great storytelling and character development that the Freiza saga gave us.