The DBZ Thread

The latest and greatest of Japanese Animation. Found something new, or perhaps old and arcane... if it has to do with anime, it goes right here.

Moderator: EG Members

Starnum
Elven King

The DBZ Thread

Post by Starnum »

Oh yes, I went there, lol. :lol:

Well it seems a modicum of people have at least a mild desire to talk about this classic anime series. Whether it's to criticize it or praise it, this is the place to do it. I did a search but couldn't find any other legitimate DBZ threads.

So what's the big deal? To continue on from some of the things that have already been said...Krillin only dies like, twice, right? In all of DBZ, I can't remember him dying more than that. Though technically that would mean he's died at least three times. Anyway, I still understand why the characters take life so importantly. Essentially, it's because they're people. That's the way they were raised, that's what they believe, and ultimately the writer is trying to make it so that the audience can relate to the material. I mean that's pretty much what it comes down to. Other than that, DBZ has plenty of flaws, lets not kid ourselves. However, I think it's pretty good too. When it's good, it's really good. I have to admit, I'm a fan for the action, and watching some of those fights in HD is just fun. That's me though. I can't help but get attached to the characters, and if you pay attention there really is plot sometimes, more than you might think. So with its corny misgivings and ridiculous nature, the show is kind of legendary for a reason. I can definitely give it a solid 8.5, maybe a 9. Just based on the effects it had on anime in general. However I still think there are other animes that are way better, and in a class of their own. Like One Piece for example, which is highly influenced by DBZ. Yeah, everyone should know by now that I love One Piece, lol. Even Naruto is pretty awesome at times, you know? I'm thinking more about the mangas though, I hate filler. Naruto isn't as revolutionary as DBZ in my opinion, but it's definitely build up some kind of fan base, heh. Berserk is the best of course, though I do wish the anime were more like the manga. Kenshin is epic in my opinion, the animation is great, and the story in the manga is amazing. Also I love mecha anime, and some of those existential ones are mind blowing. Hm, so anyway, here it is, DBZ...discuss.
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Re: The DBZ Thread

Post by War Machine »

It paved the way for other animes like Naruto, One Piece and Bleach, but in my opinion, none of them even come close to DBZ.
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
DrPepperPro
Dirty Sennin

Post by DrPepperPro »

Good ol Dragonball series.

Some people say that it's only good because it reminds them of their childhood, but I can't think of any other popular kids show from when DBZ was around, that can later be looked back on and actually liked for reasons that go beyond childhood reminiscence.
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

Yeah, I am one of those mean bastards who wont accept the fact that DBZ is awesome.
I liked it back in the day. It was teh shit! Everyone would spend the first two hours at school talking about the episode that had been aired the previous day.
Those were good times.
But, at some point, I started to think: "man, the fight just drags on and on, without anything important happening". "Another unbeatable enemy that gets defeated because of some secret superpower the main character suddenly realized he had?"

You get the idea.

I realized some things just didn't make any sense. And, at some point, I stopped liking it.

A few years passed. Then the rebound came. Everyone was watching it again, but: "What if they had never watched it on first grade? They would all just say: "this is stupid" and change the channel."
They didn't really like DBZ anymore, it was just a way to bring back childhood memories.

I personally don't like it. Its still fun to watch some loose episodes, but the series as a whole is not my kind of thing.

Ironically, I DO like One Piece, which is as nonsensical as DBZ (probably even more). May be its because there is something about the art style of One Piece that says "don't take me too seriously" that DBZ lacks.

Starnum, at first I thought you were one of those fake fans. Seeing how much you are willing to write in defense of DBZ, I realize I misjudged you.
Sorry if my comments offended you on any level.
One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings.
~Diogenes of Sinope
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Hey, it's no problem, but thanks for the sentiment. I wasn't trying to rant and rave, I just felt like saying a few things about it, and I tend to get carried away when talking about things I'm passionate about. Yeah, I'm a true fan though, and I used to be pretty fanatical about the show back when I was in school. That was a long time ago though, and there was a period where I thought I had "out-grown" it. Well I had found other anime I thought was so much better at least, but in hindsight I still think DBZ is really good, and I'll always be a fan of the show.
Artezul
Flexing spam muscles

Post by Artezul »

For a wild moment I thought someone made a thread to praise the up and coming live action DBZ.
"Don't you get it yet?! If she's beautiful, you'll die instantly!!" Chopper
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

I think the movie is going to cover the end of Dragon Ball, actually. I still question its quality, I'm very weary of a live-action movie. I'll have to see it first before I can make any judgments. Anyway, there's a different thread for the movie I believe.
Nakadai
imanewbie

Post by Nakadai »

I was never into it much when I was younger as I always caught it midway through some epic confrontation, and of course would have no idea what was going on. I've now come to enjoy it in recent years, both the manga and anime. It fits more on the mindless fun spectrum of things, like so many of life's greatest pleasures often do.
Infini-Tropolis.com
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

You know, going back to the whole issue about how they shouldn't worry about dying because they can just be wished back, I've noticed that they actually do stop making such a big deal about people dying later on in the series. Of course they care more when one of their own dies, but they mention at least a few times that they can just wish back all the people that are killed after the crisis is over. Goku tells Gohan not to hold back when he's facing off against Cell with their Final Kamehameha's, that if he's worried about destroying the planet, they can just wish it back afterward. Then again in the Buu Saga he acts like its not a big deal if Buu goes on a killing spree because they can just wish all the people back that Buu kills. So, they still do respect human life a lot, but it just goes to show that they do exhibit signs of being desensitized to death. Also, some people might think its a silly concept that they can just be wished back over and over, but I think it makes for an interesting dynamic within the show. I wouldn't want to see that kind of thing all the time in every anime, but I think it works pretty well for DBZ.
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

But wasn't there some catch to the wishes? Like you can only be rezzed once? I vaguely remember Goku not being able to be wished back because they have already used that wish once, so he fought his way back or something like that? When he was SSJ3 he definately couldn't come back via wishing I think?

Also, IMHO, the old Dragonball was way better than DBZ. The epic fight of (teen) Goku vs Piccolo at the last tournament was... well... epic. :D
And it was much funnier, with all the strange bad guys like the little Prince and his 2 idiot henchmen, and my absolute favorite scene: When the little prince (forgot his name) summoned Shenlong and before he could make his wish, Oolong jumped in and wished for a Hat with 2 holes in it for his ears. And then a panty slip drops from the sky onto his head.
DrPepperPro
Dirty Sennin

Post by DrPepperPro »

Uhh I'm pretty sure he wished for panties, and that's what he got.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Aetherfukz wrote:But wasn't there some catch to the wishes? Like you can only be rezzed once? I vaguely remember Goku not being able to be wished back because they have already used that wish once, so he fought his way back or something like that? When he was SSJ3 he definately couldn't come back via wishing I think?
If they wanted to wish Goku back, all they'd have to do is go to New Namek and ask Parunga. He can bring people back as many times as you want. Goku didn't want to be wished back, is the thing. They were all ready to go to New Namek and wish him back, but he chose to stay in the otherworld to help protect Earth, because he felt that all the bad guys attacked Earth to get to him, and in a lot of the cases in DBZ that was true. When Goku came back to Earth for the Tenkaichi Budokai during the Buu Saga, he was on borrowed time, and when he went SSJ3 it drained his remaining time on Earth. I've been watching DBZ lately, so it's all fresh on my mind. It's my wife's first watch-through of the series, and we've made it up to Vegetto, so we're almost done with the series.
DrPepperPro
Dirty Sennin

Post by DrPepperPro »

I just found this, not sure how old it is:

Dragonball RN
http://dragonballrn.com/viewer2.html

It's a fan comic that continues after GT. Mainly it tries to be funny and is a kind of parody of Dragonball, but there is a plot too.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

What is this, GT, you speak of? :P
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

Starnum wrote:What is this, GT, you speak of? :P
GT = Grand Turd.
FightClub
Augh! Bright sky fire burn eyes!

Post by FightClub »

How the hell did I get here, editing out.
Rolos wrote:-He was born from a corpse? Has been killing (or assisting in the process) people ever since he was 5? Hahahaa...talk about having a shitty life. Its hilarious because he's not me.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Aetherfukz wrote:
GT = Grand Turd.
Yessim
FightClub
Augh! Bright sky fire burn eyes!

Post by FightClub »

Starnum wrote:
Aetherfukz wrote:
GT = Grand Turd.
Yessim
GT is blasphemy and garbage on so many levels. If you're an elitist you believe anything after frieza was moot, since that's when dude planned to stop doing the series, but I believe up until the end of cell the series still had potential, it was afterward that it became garbage, and GT was just the pinnacle of the shit tower that DBZ had turned into. And they're thinking of doing a new DBZ, what is that AF? I think so.
Rolos wrote:-He was born from a corpse? Has been killing (or assisting in the process) people ever since he was 5? Hahahaa...talk about having a shitty life. Its hilarious because he's not me.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Yeah, I totally agree with you on that. I'm a purist too. I still think the Cell Saga was the best though, and the only good thing to come out of the Buu Saga was Majin Vegeta, SSJ3, and Vegito. Not a big Gotenks fan. GT is bullshit, IMO, and I refuse to watch it. I watched a few of the first episodes and couldn't handle it. It was like the corniness factor of DBZ had been amped up to the max and the fights seemed short and lame. Everything just seemed off and wrong. That's usually what happens when you try to bastardize someone's work and have a different author write the story. Yeah, the Buu Saga was just so corny at times. One of the best things about it though, is that you get to see the power of an Ascended Saiyan (SSJ2) on showcase. By that point Vegeta had ascended, and Goku could go SSJ3. Goku versus Majin Vegeta was definitely one of the better fights of that saga. The fact that Trunks and Goten can go super saiyan is practically a joke though, IMO. Sometimes it felt like Toriyama was making fun of himself, or at least DBZ. Oh, and as for this AF mess, I'll have none of it. If it's not by Toriyama himself than it can go to hell.
DrPepperPro
Dirty Sennin

Post by DrPepperPro »

AF = april fools

Go GT!!!....1
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

You mean it's an actual April's Fool's joke, or that it's just a bad joke? Either way, it doesn't matter. I'm just gonna ignore it like I did with GT.

*Is ignoring the fact that DPPro cheered for GT* :P
DrPepperPro
Dirty Sennin

Post by DrPepperPro »

Ya it was originally an april fools joke, but it's still tricking people like 10 years later.

I like the ending of GT more than the DBZ's. And how it's more similar in some ways to Dragonball than DBZ is. There are a lot of bad points though, like you said the fighting is bad most of the time. Also, even in the japanese version, the music is just not as good as in DB and DBZ. There's a few good bg songs I remember that are good, but compared to DB and DBZ where almost always it's good, its lacking for sure.
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

Starnum wrote:...Krillin only dies like, twice, right? In all of DBZ, I can't remember him dying more than that. Though technically that would mean he's died at least three times.
Technically Krillin dies that one more time in DBGT when Bebi kills everybody. But then everybody dies. I like how in DBGT they end off the whole apparent awesomeness of the whole dragonball trick by having all of that negative energy pent up and create those evil dragons. About the only thing I liked about DBGT. But that great great grandson character after DBGT, he was kinda dumb. Anyays, this isn't DBZ, its DBGT. As for DBZ, I kinda wish they had a little more about the whole Bulma and Vegeta getting together, that was never explained well enough I thought.
Artezul wrote:For a wild moment I thought someone made a thread to praise the up and coming live action DBZ.
That movie looks so wrong, but I must see it anyways. It's like they mixed Goku's early childhood with his teenage years, and Gohan's teenage years. At least the actors for Goku and Bulma aren't crazy old for their parts, but the dude who plays Yamcha is 39, and a ladies man, which Yamcha does become by DBZ, but in DB he was scared of chicks. And Master Roshi's hut is in the middle of a city, like what the hell? Plus the trailer and man it looks so silly. I know it's a real one, but it looks like that fake Zelda movie trailer IGN released last year. Still looking forward to it though.

When I was younger I had a lot of problems with bullies, but Dragonball Z came on right at the beginning of the problems and was always there (YTV, the Canadian station that aired it had it on an odd loop) all the way up until I changed schools in high school. Everybody says that Dragonball Z is generally liked because they enjoyed it when they were children and it was nostalgic, but it was more for me, because whenever something bad happened I just tried to be like Goku and get above the problem.
Last edited by The Herald on Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:06 am, edited 3 times in total.
Audentis Fortuna Juvet - Virgil
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

First off, GT (Grand Turd) can burn in hell for all I care. As far as I'm concerned everything ended with DBZ. Also, yes, the movie looks like complete and utter shit. :twisted:
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Anyone ever notice how SSJ3 Goku has no eyebrows? I have a theory about that. I believe that his eyebrows are somehow consumed by his forehead and converted into all that extra long hair on his head. How can such short hairs produce so much long hair? It's a Super Saiyan thing, don't question the logic! :lol:

Yeah, I double-posted, sue me.