The DBZ Thread

The latest and greatest of Japanese Animation. Found something new, or perhaps old and arcane... if it has to do with anime, it goes right here.

Moderator: EG Members

Starnum
Elven King

Re: The DBZ Thread

Post by Starnum »

I watched parts of it, didn't seem very good at all. The animation was kind of nice, but even the fighting wasn't that great, IMO. *shrugs*
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

It's not so bad, but it's just a fan service episode.
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

Does anyone agree with me that the reason that Raditz says that planet Vegeta was blown up only three years previously to the start of DBZ is because he was misinformed? And Raditz was probably not mentioned in the Bardock tv special because he was only Goku's half brother by his mother. There are like three different stories as to how planet Vegeta blew up, and of course the official one is that Frieza did it. Raditz's version is completely wrong, and then there's the one the previous guardian (or Kami) told the guys, which is also wrong, but kind of right because the reason that Freiza could make the Saiyans his slaves was because they were a decrepid society.
Audentis Fortuna Juvet - Virgil
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

I don't remember anything, I didn't even know about those 3 stories.

I'll see if my brother-in-law will lend me the series so I can watch them all from start to finish.
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Don't worry about it, those are just filler mistakes. Also, it wasn't Kami who gave one of the false stories, but King Kai of all people. He's supposed to know so much, but he said it was the guardian of Planet Vegeta who destroyed the planet because the Saiyans had become too corrupt or some such, but that's just bull crap. Of course it was Frieza who blew up the planet, because he was afraid that the saiyans would become too strong for him to control, and he was right. It's not King Kai's fault that he told a bogus story though, there are lots of filler plot holes in DBZ. Just like how Vegeta had said that Goku's father was a scientist who invented the moon blast, that he used to transform into a Mammoth Ape, but we all know that's not true. Bardock wasn't a freaking scientist. Heh, give me a break. You have to watch out for filler and translation errors, they can fuck your anime/manga up. ;)
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

I know that these are all plot and filler mistakes, but I still like to try to connect them anyhow :P. I still think that Bardock could have been a scientist, why not? Maybe one of Freiza's goons demoted him or something, that's totally possible. He was pretty old by the tv special.
DrPepperPro
Dirty Sennin

Post by DrPepperPro »

That was a filler translation error, where they don't translate stuff so that they can add random made up shit.
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

Yeah, and doing so fucks a lot of things up along the way. But I still like the idea of Goku's father being a scientist and that type of intelligence skipping a generation, then showing through in his son. Though, that's more due to Chi chi's constant nagging to do his homework.

Because the dragonballs being used too much created the evil dragons and are now gone on Earth any sequel after GT can't be called Dragonball can it? And any other sequel would have to be based really far in the future because right now Vegeta is basically the strongest person in the known universe, and Goku has basically poofed away with the eternal dragon. I know they already did that tv special with Pan's grandson and everything, but it would be cool if it were one of Vegeta's progeny even further in the future than that going through something like Goku did when he was little, and then finding masters, and one of them could be Goku Jr. Just a thought. Though the best thing with the series right now would be for them to do movies or tv specials that are origin things, like the history of mirai no Trunks. Like a special on how Vegeta grew up, that'd be worth watching.

Also about the dragonballs being pent up with all that negative energy from making too many good wishes, maybe something like that happened to Namek and that was the disaster that virtually destroyed the planet when Kami was a baby.
fujinsan
Flexing spam muscles

Post by fujinsan »

DrPepperPro wrote:Uhh I'm pretty sure he wished for panties, and that's what he got.
He wished for the softest underwear in the universe for himself. Anyway, I really have never talked about dbz or db in the forums before, why start now? Well here it goes, dbz, in general, for most is something they can remember the innocence of their childhood with really. The show when I was growing up was something to watch, before I even knew what anime was. Most likely if I'd never watched dbz, I'd be as boring as most adults are today. It was a show that like Starnum said everybody watched back in the day, I believe not one person doesn't know what it is. It's the most famous anime to ever hit the world over, and it should be something, imo, to be honored, as most of you wouldn't watch anime either without it. There are exceptions to those though.
DrPepperPro
Dirty Sennin

Post by DrPepperPro »

In jap he just plain said he want's "girl's panties." What you said sounds familiar though, so I guess that's from the english dub.
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

I personally started my anime watching way before I watched DBZ: Sailor Moon , My Neighbour Totoro, Kiki's Delivery Service when I was 7 (1996); and Ninja Scroll, Macross Plus, The Wings of Honneamese, Galaxy Express 999, Venus Wars, Patlabor (still boring as hell by the way when I watch it now) and Gods (which I still can't find) when I was 9 (1998). DBZ came on when I was 10, and then Pokemon when I was 11. Considering this was all on TV, I was pretty indentured into the whole anime thing well before I was exposed to DBZ. Like I said before, I still like DBZ to this day because of the same reasons I like Starwars and FFX, aliens and time travel. I first saw Berserk at 14 (man I can't believe it's been 6 years, but then again I first saw it on VHS).

This all brings up a pretty interesting question though: what was your first anime?
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Well, we finished our re-watching of DBZ last week. After we catch up on the current shows like Naruto and One Piece, we're prolly gonna go back and watch DB. ;)
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

DrPepperPro wrote:In jap he just plain said he want's "girl's panties." What you said sounds familiar though, so I guess that's from the english dub.
LULZ? I guess you're talking about Oolongs wish from the dragon in the old dragonball?

In the german version he wishes for "A nice cap with 2 holes in it to stick the ears through" and that is what he gets, somehow :D
The panties land on his head just like a nice cap with 2 holes in it. I thought that scene was hilarious as a kid.

Oolong was awesome in any dub I presume :P
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

Aetherfukz wrote:"A nice cap with 2 holes in it to stick the ears through"
Ha ha ha! Just out of curiosity, did they censure or remove any of the nude scenes in DBZ over there in Germany? To anyone who hasn't seen them, they're pretty benign and consist mostly of Goku losing his clothes as joke.
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

yeah, mostly stuff when he was peeing or using his tail to fish or something. i noticed that when i was younger, and i was like who gives a rat's ass that we see gohan's butt when he's fallen on top of vegeta? NOBODY that's who!
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

War Machine wrote:
Aetherfukz wrote:"A nice cap with 2 holes in it to stick the ears through"
Ha ha ha! Just out of curiosity, did they censure or remove any of the nude scenes in DBZ over there in Germany? To anyone who hasn't seen them, they're pretty benign and consist mostly of Goku losing his clothes as joke.
Nah nothing of the nudity was censored in german television. We saw lots of Gokus little thing dangling around. Nudity never was an issue in german television, only violence was, and is still to an extent.

Edit: To this day I still find it funnier when Oolong wishes for "a nice cap with 2 holes in it to stick the ears through" and gets panties, than if he simply wishes for panties and gets them :D
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

I always thought it was odd, all of this editing and whatnot. In our original edit in Canada we saw Krillin get stapped through with Frieza's horn, but apparently that didn't happen in the American tv edit (or so I heard).
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

The Herald wrote:I always thought it was odd, all of this editing and whatnot. In our original edit in Canada we saw Krillin get stapped through with Frieza's horn, but apparently that didn't happen in the American tv edit (or so I heard).
Well on the second run of DBZ in german television, they suddenly, somehow, thought "Oh Em Gee, this is all so bloody!" and censored the shit out of it. Note that it was perfectly fine on the first airing run though?!

Like when Goku and Piccolo fight Radditz, Goku gets a huge hole in his chest from Piccolos Makkankosappo (spelling?) and dies shortly after from it. Now in the second airing, they fucking edited out the hole in his chest! So now he suddenly dies with his chest and suit fully intact, probably because of a heart attack or something - the viewer wouldn't know hadn't he seen the uncensored version.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

They showed Frieza stab Krillin with his horn in America, I believe. I've seen so many versions at this point it's hard to tell. I know at first when it aired here in the US it was heavily censored, no blood or anything. They were showing it to kids after all. However, whenever Funimation took over the rights then they started showing some of the blood and stuff. I mean, I don't think it was completely uncut, but they got a lot more lenient with it. At that point it was being shown exclusively on Cartoon Network, whereas it had started on Fox Kids or something like that.
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

You guys must watch this, it's too funny. I'm sure you're aware of it, but I didn't see it posted anywhere, so here you go. The voice acting in this is amazing, just as good at the official release. Plus, if you listen closely, our old pal hbi2k makes some appearances. I enjoyed that.
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

Yeah, they just finished the Vegita saga and are taking some free time away from the DBZ Abridged series for now, but they seem very interested in continuing them. They're really good, I like them.
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

Has anyone seriously watched DBZKai? It's not very good. There's tons of continuity errors and dead air. I'm only about 20 episodes in, but still, it's wierd.
Mail
Mastered PM

Post by Mail »

Rewatching DBZ, just finished the cell saga. Much as I enjoyed DBZ originally, I don't think I'd be able to get through it without fast forward. Seriously, there's way too much staring and grunting. Oh my god the grunting. At some point I actually started to grunt with them and it went from annoying to hilarious.

Things I like:
Saiyan insults. Raditz and Vegita own everyone verbally.
Fighting is pretty awesome, even if it does get ridiculous.

Oh, and I got to thinking earlier after telling Yamcha to shut up for the 100th time (yea, I yell at my screen). By my reckoning, Yajirobe has actually been more useful than Yamcha.
Yamcha's achievements: Get sploded by a saibaman; kinda help against cell in the end I guess
Yajirobe's achievements: Cut off Vegeta's tail, making that fight winnable

But yea, all in all I love DBZ.
Boxy
imanewbie

Post by Boxy »

DBZ is timeless to me. Its the first anime I ever got into. Everything before the Buu saga I love. The only thing good to come out of that was Majiin Vegeta.