The Cowboy Bebop Appreciation Thread

The latest and greatest of Japanese Animation. Found something new, or perhaps old and arcane... if it has to do with anime, it goes right here.

Moderator: EG Members

dos.azn
the_Gook_of_EG

Post by dos.azn »

the movie was even as good as the series if not better
Loeviz
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Loeviz »

I still havent seen the movie, always miss it when its aired on the Tv

\"No Sane man will dance.\"
-- Marcus Tullius Cicero (106-43 BC)
dos.azn
the_Gook_of_EG

Post by dos.azn »

u could dl or buy the DVD like me :D
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

The movie was the first anime i saw and what got me into anime.

The fights in the movie when he uses his martial arts was awesome.

The movie was better that i can say for sure even if i havent seen the last eps.
The ink of a scholar is worth a thousand times more than the blood of the martyr- The Quran
dos.azn
the_Gook_of_EG

Post by dos.azn »

nahz the last eps is what really counts for bebop, it shows the true perfect form of style. but the movie was really good in my mind too, i really cant choose
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

If the last eps are better than the movie than they must really really good.

The sad thing is i wont feel for what happens in the end as i would have without having be spoiled.
The ink of a scholar is worth a thousand times more than the blood of the martyr- The Quran
dos.azn
the_Gook_of_EG

Post by dos.azn »

i knew what would happen in the end before i even started the series. but its still a terrific end
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

I heard that in the manga he lives, but I haven't actually seen it for myself, so I can't verify that.
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

I don't think the end comes as much of a surprise. There's a long road leading up to it, and that's why it's so fitting.
Brainpiercing
"Beer cures poison" - (almost) Guts.
Ayanami
Dirty Sennin

Post by Ayanami »

Brainpiercing wrote:I don't think the end comes as much of a surprise. There's a long road leading up to it, and that's why it's so fitting.
Correct, there is no other way to end the series in my opinion.
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

Ayanami wrote:
Correct, there is no other way to end the series in my opinion.
At least none other that wouldn't get quite cheesy. To go out with a bang and no regrets, that was the way to go. I don't even think it is very painful on the viewer. Other series are much harder on the viewer than CB.
Brainpiercing
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

I found the ending memorable and dramatic. It left a lasting memory for me.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

True, the ending was memorable in every way, although I don't remember much of the fight leading up to it. If I ever lie on my deathbed I want to say "bang", too, before I go :).
Brainpiercing
dos.azn
the_Gook_of_EG

Post by dos.azn »

dos concurs
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

I've started re-watching CB, and I must say it only gets better the second time around. The pacing is beautiful and each scene and line of dialogue fits. I also think to appreciate it fully you have to have watched a good deal of other anime to know what you really get in this show.
Brainpiercing
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Brainpiercing wrote:I've started re-watching CB, and I must say it only gets better the second time around. The pacing is beautiful and each scene and line of dialogue fits. I also think to appreciate it fully you have to have watched a good deal of other anime to know what you really get in this show.
This is very true.

I never realized how good it was until I started watching it again recently. It's different than most of the stuff out there and it is so much better.

The fact that the main character is not an angst-ridden teen (like every other anime out there) is another great thing about the series.
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

Femto wrote:
Brainpiercing wrote:I've started re-watching CB, and I must say it only gets better the second time around. The pacing is beautiful and each scene and line of dialogue fits. I also think to appreciate it fully you have to have watched a good deal of other anime to know what you really get in this show.
This is very true.

I never realized how good it was until I started watching it again recently. It's different than most of the stuff out there and it is so much better.

The fact that the main character is not an angst-ridden teen (like every other anime out there) is another great thing about the series.
The fact remains that he feels like an angst-ridden twenty-something brooding over his past rather often. Well, perhaps not often, but still way too much, considering the fact that his backstory is probably the weakest part of Bebop.

Maybe my opinion will change, I'll re-watch it soon...
"I love a buz" - LordMune, 2012
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

Angst ridden? I don't really think so. In fact he's rater arrogant and selfish about his past, and doesn't care whether his new compatriots abandon him over it.
Brainpiercing
dos.azn
the_Gook_of_EG

Post by dos.azn »

well thas not really being selfish, it shows he cares even more about his companions, he knows his past is very ugly and if hes going to bring closure to it, he has to do it himself or else jet or faye would get killed if they get involved
evilester_me
This is my new home

Post by evilester_me »

Cowboy bebop is one of the best. Prolly the only series where I actually prefer the dubbed over the subbed too, but it was the first series I actually got to see in order and it was awsome!
:wink:
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

Hmm, the voices are so excellent in Japanese I can't imagine anyone doing it better in a dub. Sure the theme is very "American", but western voice actors just can't do people like Ed, and even Faye is so great I don't think a western voice could do her better.
Brainpiercing
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

LordMune wrote:The fact remains that he feels like an angst-ridden twenty-something brooding over his past rather often. Well, perhaps not often, but still way too much, considering the fact that his backstory is probably the weakest part of Bebop.

Maybe my opinion will change, I'll re-watch it soon...
Nah.

Just look at him, the way he moves, what he says, his reactions to other characters. He's cocky and very sure of himself, far from angsty. Sure, he has some sort of death wish and always gets moody when his past takes center place, but those are just his emotional aspects. It's like saying that Guts is angst-ridden during the first arc in Berserk because he's always crying about not belonging anywhere. It's not angst, it's character development or backstory or whatever you want to call it, it just makes these characters deeper and more emotional.

Frankly, I think your baseless hate for this series is keeping you from enjoying it. I said that I liked the fact that it doesn't have angst-ridden teens to which you reply that Spike is an angst-ridden twenty something (i.e. not teen) who broods over his past too often. Then you admit that it doesn't really happen often and then you pull this thing of the backstory being the weakest part of the series for no real reason. I might have trouble understanding you here, but I don't see what you're trying to get at. It just seems like you're trying to form an argument against me and are coming up empty-handed.

Just forget everything you think or know about Bebop and just rewatch it with a clean slate, you'll enjoy it more.
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

Even after rewatching there might possibly be many little things I could criticise about CB, but none of them have been mentioned here, and none of them do anything substantial to the greatness of the show.
Brainpiercing
DrPepperPro
Dirty Sennin

Re: The Cowboy Bebop Appreciation Thread

Post by DrPepperPro »

This thread gets bumped.

I watched most of the episodes back in the day in english, and of course that dub is great too. Now I rewatched it after like 6-7 years (in japanese this time) and it's even better. Probably due more to the difference in my age than in the voices/translations. There were many little jokes and details that I didn't get back then. All that stuff just makes it so much better.

Btw did anyone notice that Jet is Void's voice in the japanese version.
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Re: The Cowboy Bebop Appreciation Thread

Post by War Machine »

This was the first series I ever bought on DVD, and also the first time I found out that any cheap DVD series is most likely a chinese knockoff. Oh, well. :)
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel