Metal Gear Solid Series

Welcome to the official EG Gaming Buzkashi League (EGBL).

Moderator: EG Members

War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Re: Metal Gear Solid Series

Post by War Machine »

Don't listen to Mune, MGS4 is fine. Even if you hate the story, the gameplay is still great (octo-camo was an awesome adition to the camo system from MGS3).

As for MGS1, yeah, either version you find is ok. I only recommend The Twin Snakes because it's a newer remake (that was also blessed with Kojima's involvment), but I agree that it will be harder to find. So, go with whatever you prefer.
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
Gaiseric
Tastes like burning!

Post by Gaiseric »

Cool, I have access to MGS1 for Dreamcast and the HD collection for 360. So that should be a good start.
"We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing all-powerful God, who creates faulty Humans, and then
blames them for his own mistakes." - Gene Roddenberry
Gaiseric
Tastes like burning!

Post by Gaiseric »

Heads up, Metal Gear Solid V is free with gold on Xbox right now.
"We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing all-powerful God, who creates faulty Humans, and then
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

*Smiles and nods at Warmachine and Lordmune* Yes my brothers, let us lead another into the fold.

MGS4 definitely has its issues, but it has its moments too. I don't wanna spoil anything tho so I won't go into it. Plus, as War said, the game-play is Solid *chuckles*.You should really play it to complete the full timeline too, imo.

The Phantom Pain is only a week away and the reviews are in!

Oh Yong, it's a shoe-in and you know it.
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

The Ars Technica review had me laughing when they made a fuzz about Quiet's attire being a problem (they've been pushing the "all games are sexist" narrative for some time now in most of their videogame articles) and yet the rest of the article is a glowing review, calling it a brilliant masterpiece.

Anyway, I'm hyped. Enough so that I'm gonna try to start and finish Peace Walker before MGSV is released.
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
dialdfordesi
I live in a giant bucket.

Post by dialdfordesi »

Guess I need to get on Ground Zeroes haha
Trust me, I'm a doctor!
thepeaguy
notanewb

Post by thepeaguy »

This is going to be the last MG for a long time since Konami are gradually moving away from the gaming business.
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

It's going to be the last Metal Gear anyone cares about since Kojima will be ousted in December.

Here's to hoping Konami will sell or at least generously license all their good gaming IPs once they go full retard f2p and pachislot-focused, but realistically that's not gonna happen.
"I love a buz" - LordMune, 2012
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

Ok, I've played a few hours of Peace Walker and honestly, I can't see how it isn't the defacto worst MGS in the main saga. That's not to say I'm not enjoying the game, I very much am, but overall It seems pretty weak on gameplay and story.

Gameplay is severely hampered by it being a mobile game, and I can forgive a lot of things there, but the super short missions are bugging me because they're too easy (I play them once slowly to find all the collectibles and then again to S rank it), and there's little to do in them but rapture all the POWs and enemies with the Fulton system. The Mother Base stuff is obviously only there to extend the time it takes to unlock everyhing since you don't do anything there but move around personnel to suit your current needs and unlock the one or two available upgrades. All I do at MB is basically click ok to unlock and to assign people, there's no strategy there. And the Tank Boss fights have been comically weird. It's not a seemingly insurmountable task that's made possible by use of a powerful weapon procured on site and your wits and reflexes a la Hind-D fight or the Harrier jet fight. It's just a small cart that moves funny and runs you over a couple of times as you shoot it with every bullet you have (and make sure you bring equipment to blow it up, cause the game doesn't give you anything to defeat it).

Storywise is where I admit it might change more radically later, but so far I'm a mission or two after rescuing Chico and the story is only that there's nukes in Costa Rica. I hate Chico; Gálvez is interesting but other than requesting help I haven't seen him do anything; Chico's sister (forgot her name) is just Meryl from MGS1 all over again; and Paz is a blank slate so far (I know about the plot twist, but even if I didn't, I don't think I'd have any problem finding out since Paz couldn't be more transparent).

I'm enjoying the game, and as a mobile game it's pretty good, butthe game stands pretty far from the other games in the saga.
Gaiseric
Tastes like burning!

Post by Gaiseric »

I am actually playing through Peace Walker right now too. I skipped MGS4 since Peace Walker is part of the HD collection and I'd have to buy 4. I am enjoying Peace Walker so far, but the other games seemed more cohesive. I'm not sure if it's the way the missions are broken up or the scetchy comic book cut-scenes that make the story feel kind of disjointed. So far, I think Snake Eater is my favorite.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Most people like Snake Eater the most, myself included. The best thing about MGS is the story, and it really shines in Snake Eater. Plus the boss battles are awesome. As for PW, I thought it picked up towards the end, you still have a long way to go, War. It may be one of the weaker titles in the series, likely due to it originally being a mobile game, but some of the most fun I've had with online multiplayer was doing the mecha battles on PW with friends. As for MGSV, I'm loving it. I have a few nitpicks, but overall it's an amazing game, and a clear choice for Game of the Year, IMO. I've uploaded a few videos to my YT channel, feel free to check it out if you're so inclined.

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheStarnum/videos
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

What I and many others like about PW is the promise inherent in Peace Walker's PSP-stunted mechanics. A promise that has now been fulfilled with MGSV.

I've been in internet blackout the last few days as I've been playing the game, but have now finally beaten it. I think. One loose plot thread that may yet be resolved through Side Ops left. Verdict is, it's good. Incredible, actually. The dearth of proper boss fights is disappointing but understandable considering how little control the designers/Kojima have over the player's circumstances and meta-progression. Really enjoyed taking down Quiet with the pea-shooter tranq pistol though.
"I love a buz" - LordMune, 2012
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

So now that MGSV has been out for a few months, what do you guys think? Obviously it has it's flaws, mainly the lack of story and proper boss battles, but the game-play is pretty phenomenal. Despite it's short-comings, I still think it's a great game. Maybe a little disappointing, but still pretty fun. I think I've logged more hours on this game than any other console title, something like nearly 200 hours, and I still have 9 missions to S rank, and a couple handfuls of mission tasks to complete. Unfortunately the FOB aspect isn't nearly as fun as I had hoped it would be, and when it comes to MGO, well I'm not much of one for competitive online modes. It's just a shame that the game was stunted so by the production issues, because there are moments when it shows so much potential. The very first mission, the battle with Sahelanthropus, the battle with Quiet, & Mission 43: Shining Lights, Even in Death stand out as prime examples. If the whole game had been like that, it would've been the best thing ever. While I'm on that kick, the repeat / filler missions are total BS. Those should have been story missions, and "perfect stealth", "extreme", etc should have been alternate game modes in which you could replay any of the missions. Anyway, curious to hear you guys' thoughts as well.
Sandman
Dirty Sennin

Post by Sandman »

Just picked it up on Thanksgiving... I hope it is worth it :twisted:
Thank you sir, may I have another :twisted: :whip:
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

I finally picked MGSV up on Christmas and so far I'm having fun. I've been doing a lot of side-ops and just barely unlocked Quiet and got Huey, so I'm not far in the story at all.

The exploration has me hooked though. Even though MGSV is the big version of Peace Walker in terms of gameplay, my biggest gripe with PW was addressed: That missions were too short. The main-ops are usually long and even longer with the extra objectives, and the fact that you can go into an area and do multiple side-ops in one go really brings the world alive in a way that PW never did.

The resource gathering/soldier rapturing/equipment development grind hasn't gotten stale yet, but I'm definitely past the stage where I just raptured anyone and developed anything that came up, so that change where I now have to pay attention to all those details is keeping me interested in spite of being a bit repetitive. And how the army deployments work in the main game, where doing a mission will reduce the enemy's supply of shields or helmets, etc., is genius. Great way to make that more meaningful than in PW.

Story so far is good enough, but not spectacular. I have been listening to the tapes throughout when I have some downtime doing side-ops, and they really feel necessary to bring the characters alive. That said, Ocelot has been giving me nothing so far. I'm half expecting him to become more over the top like Liquid-Ocelot in MGS2/4 but he's just directing you to the next objective and not really saying anything else.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

:lol: Hahaha.

Oh man, I'm gonna echo the sentiments of a lone comment I read on the announcement of Survive:

"I'd rather have nothing!"
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Sandman
Dirty Sennin

Post by Sandman »

So there is a new Metal Gear game out it is called Survival... Its a MMO style but the enemy is zombies I guess... I played some of the beta and it looks like a game worth playing.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Hell no! Fuck Konami and their bastardization of Metal Gear. Long live Kojima!
Sandman
Dirty Sennin

Post by Sandman »

Starnum wrote:Hell no! Fuck Konami and their bastardization of Metal Gear. Long live Kojima!

:LOL: :LOL:

Oh well I don't hold grudges... The game is stupidly hard but I like it I only rented it to check it out... probably why it is only 39.99 :twisted:
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Well it's about more than just the grudge with me, to be honest. I'm just tired of giving money to shady game developers. Unfortunately the only way to make a difference is with my wallet. So even if they remade MGS, sadly I wouldn't be able to buy it.
Sandman
Dirty Sennin

Post by Sandman »

Kojima was part of the Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance game which sucked balls which is half the reason I stopped trying to playing MGS games... so I am not sure how to feel about the situation as a whole... but any who I would like to see some new moves in MGS like if you are hiding under something and someone walks by you can grab them and pull them under with you and snuff them out. Muffle bags that you can throw over someone's head and no one will hear their screams :twisted:

Or MGS that is gray fox's story arc or something I am not sure I haven't beat a MGS game since Sons of liberty on the PS2 so take all this for what it is worth... I guess I didn't like them jumping around in the time line... which was also probably Kojima's fault... hahahahahahah JK don't hurt me :whip:
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Well I would recommend giving MGS III: Snake Eater a shot, it's the best one in the series in my opinion. The game-play isn't as good as MGS:V ofc, but overall I think it's better.
Sandman
Dirty Sennin

Post by Sandman »

Will do... hopefully it will come out for the PS4 or on psn or psplus