Dark Souls

Welcome to the official EG Gaming Buzkashi League (EGBL).

Moderator: EG Members

Shade
This is my new home

Re: Dark Souls

Post by Shade »

I'm going for platinum soon and missed my first slab so if there is one in the DLC i'm saved.
Cheers for the info XD Damn magic and enchanted weapons >_<
~http://www.thecenternetwork.com/forum/~
Azwraith
imanewbie

Post by Azwraith »

I don't know about you guys, but I tried playing Demon Souls, and couldn't take it because of the horrible controls in the PC version.

The keys you had to press were referred on scree as X-Box controller buttons, like A and B buttons. There was a menu where you could configure wich shortcuts you wanted, but there are dozens of keys to be pressed, and that just ruined the game for me.

Is there any better version of the game?
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

You can connect a 360 or PS3 controller if you have one. That's the easiest solution, other than getting the game on a console. There are also mods around, maybe there's something to help you there:

http://darksouls.nexusmods.com/
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
Azwraith
imanewbie

Post by Azwraith »

War Machine wrote:You can connect a 360 or PS3 controller if you have one. That's the easiest solution, other than getting the game on a console. There are also mods around, maybe there's something to help you there:

http://darksouls.nexusmods.com/
Thanks a bunch, I'll try that :)
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

Sandman was asking about Dark Souls III on the other thread, so I'd like to necro this thread.

I got DSIII on PC and I've loved it so far. My only real complaint is that it seems to require a lot of resources to the point where it runs at 40-60 FPS on my machine with the lowest graphics settings. That's pretty high considering I can run Fallout 4 at max settings in 60 FPS. Gameplay-wise, I'm loving all the changes:
  • Backstabs no longer lock-on as soon as you start them, rather, the backstab attempt initiates a move that will result in the backstab animation only until it hits, if it hits.
  • Connecting with friends in co-op is way easier with the added code mechanic (friend and you use a code, and you both connect to each other). But there seems to be some bugged areas where you can't join them.
  • High customizability with the weapons. You can re-forge a weapon into any stat you want (like a Zweihander that increases damage with dexterity, for example).
  • The farming grind was made a bit easier with more frequent forging item drops.
  • Back to Demon's Souls mechanics with "hollow" form (called unkindled in DSIII) where being in unkindled form simply has less max HP versus the kindled form, and repeated deaths don't change anything. Better than Dark Souls in that there's a real advantage to being kindled (way more HP), and not as asinine as DSII where repeated deaths lowered your total HP.
Anyway, I'm having fun with the game. I'm playing very intermittently because I've been kinda busy, but I've beaten about 6 bosses so far.

Also, in preparation for DSIII, I played and beat DSII and boy did I hate that game. I hated DSII with a passion. Everything was wrong. Enemies take too many hits, weapons are too slow (a small one-handed club is as fast as an ultra greatsword), I never knew where to go so I had to backtrack often just to find a way forward, far too many traps everywhere (near the beginning you get trapped with 6 or 7 enemies at once and they close the door so you can't run, no other DS game was this much of an asshole towards you but DSIII), certain cool items and enchantments are trapped behind second playthroughs (you can't get the Flame Weapon pyromancy that imbues your weapon with fire unless you go to the second playthrough and beat a certain boss), and to top it off, completely forgettable bosses. The only boss that seemed interesting to me was the chariot boss, but then the fight itself was pretty lame.

To Sandman, forget DSII, it sucks hard. Now, if DSI was also difficult, I think DSIII will be more tolerable. The difficulty does seem a bit more balanced where, for the most part, you'll get killed your first time around certain areas because you don't know how to react to some enemies, instead of dying because the enemy is causes some form of damage you can't avoid at all or an attack that you can't move away from. And there's always co-op if you're really struggling through an area, that's always way easier.
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
Sandman
Dirty Sennin

Post by Sandman »

Thanks for that War Machine I was hoping it would be better, I will try it out... my little brother plays so I guess that could be something we could do together.
Thank you sir, may I have another :twisted: :whip:
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Having cut my teeth on Bloodborne, I'm now an official Souls player with DS3. It's definitely good stuff. I haven't played in about a week, but the last time I was on I was about to face Yhorm, the Giant. I'm sure I'll get around to putting him down sometime here soon. XD
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

I rescind my complaint that Dark Souls 3 required a lot from my graphics card to run properly. It turns out my graphics card was being throttled by the driver. At some point, some driver update (I suspect) decided that it'd be ok to run my card at half the clock rate and half the memory speed. Why? I don't know, but when I decided that I should try overclocking it, I noticed that the default settings were set lower than the manufacturer's advertised speeds. I rectified that and I'm now running the game at 60 FPS with max settings.

I've been playing with a throttled graphics card for months! :lol:
Sandman
Dirty Sennin

Post by Sandman »

War Machine wrote:I rescind my complaint that Dark Souls 3 required a lot from my graphics card to run properly. It turns out my graphics card was being throttled by the driver. At some point, some driver update (I suspect) decided that it'd be ok to run my card at half the clock rate and half the memory speed. Why? I don't know, but when I decided that I should try overclocking it, I noticed that the default settings were set lower than the manufacturer's advertised speeds. I rectified that and I'm now running the game at 60 FPS with max settings.

I've been playing with a throttled graphics card for months! :lol:
Ha user :twisted:

So I tried to play Dark Souls 3 and it started out easy enough then you get to the first boss... after dying about what felt like a million time I said, yet again, fuck this game :evil:

Whatever I am just not good at it and there is no reason for me to try... SO no DS3 for me thanks but no thanks.
lon3vvolf
n00b Smasher

Post by lon3vvolf »

Playing on ps4 occasionally. Holla at your boy.

BTW Did you guys like me in the Man At Arms videos? Bloodborne and the Dark Souls one? :D
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

Ok, Sandman, it sounds to me like you need a coach. I had a friend come over once and play through DS1 for the first time and I was coaching him through the first couple of bosses and it started to bother me that he wasn't dying at all. He died less times than I did playing DS1 even though I was a Demon's Souls veteran, and I wasn't warning him about traps or difficult fights, only how the stats and fighting mechanics worked.

I don't have a PS4 unfortunately, but I do have a mumble server we can use to talk over the internet (mumble has the lowest latency than any other voice-chat program), and I could watch your stream and guide you through the game.

Dying in DS should be mostly because you were put in a difficult situation and you panicked, or because you didn't know how to react to an enemy's special attack, or because you didn't pay attention to your surroundings and fell off a cliff. But they shouldn't be because the game placed a trap to instantly kill you and each "you died" is just the game laughing at you (something DS2 got wrong, by the way, because they did do this shit), or because you didn't level up correctly, or because you didn't put on the appropriate gear. You'll see that most people make their own choices in the levels and gear they get, and their choices make certain parts more difficult, but they also make other parts easier. My point is that there's no "one true build" to the game, and beating the game comes mostly from understanding it and reacting accordingly.

@lon3vvolf: That was you? Holy crap! Did you give them shit for not doing the dragon slayer?
Sandman
Dirty Sennin

Post by Sandman »

War Machine wrote:Ok, Sandman, it sounds to me like you need a coach. I had a friend come over once and play through DS1 for the first time and I was coaching him through the first couple of bosses and it started to bother me that he wasn't dying at all. He died less times than I did playing DS1 even though I was a Demon's Souls veteran, and I wasn't warning him about traps or difficult fights, only how the stats and fighting mechanics worked.

I don't have a PS4 unfortunately, but I do have a mumble server we can use to talk over the internet (mumble has the lowest latency than any other voice-chat program), and I could watch your stream and guide you through the game.

Dying in DS should be mostly because you were put in a difficult situation and you panicked, or because you didn't know how to react to an enemy's special attack, or because you didn't pay attention to your surroundings and fell off a cliff. But they shouldn't be because the game placed a trap to instantly kill you and each "you died" is just the game laughing at you (something DS2 got wrong, by the way, because they did do this shit), or because you didn't level up correctly, or because you didn't put on the appropriate gear. You'll see that most people make their own choices in the levels and gear they get, and their choices make certain parts more difficult, but they also make other parts easier. My point is that there's no "one true build" to the game, and beating the game comes mostly from understanding it and reacting accordingly.
Thank you for the offer but I rented it so I have no plans to spend more money on a game that I have already decided that I don't like. :evil:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPqj6WaTFOE the dark souls III sword was sick but useable in the test that I saw :evil:

If Man of Arms made a Dragon Slayer Mock up, it would be the same way.. or worse... maybe they could have someone build a robot to attach that robotic arm someone in japan taught the 1000 slash technique to and have an awesome sword wielding robot wars :twisted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cR-YlZ9NdIA kinda like this
Here is the robot arm that got taught the 1000 slash technique. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3XyDLbaUmU
TheParagon
Mastered PM

Post by TheParagon »

Been a while since I last posted here and since then I've beat Dark souls II without dying as best feat there (the invisibility rings are awesome and loved that there was an incentive for trying to beat the game without dying). I'd say that Dark souls 2 isn't as good as DS1 solo play, but the pvp is much better (I especially like the dual wielding) and the combat overall is a bit more fun.

I've played through DS3 now 2 or 3 times (don't remember), and I love the levels and enemies and weapons. It's a shame though that they removed dual wielding (except for some special weapons) and that magic/miracles are nerfed (they are so slow they are unplayable pvp and and not good enough pve). Haven't played with the last 2 patches though. pvp is not as fun as in DS2 and not as fun covenants. Also as in bloodborne there are too few different good buildings. You could vary much more in DS1 and DS2 in meaningful ways.