Dark Souls

Welcome to the official EG Gaming Buzkashi League (EGBL).

Moderator: EG Members

TheParagon
Mastered PM

Dark Souls

Post by TheParagon »

new trailer out: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-20 ... uls/714546

it looks awesome, cant wait

i'm prepared to die :

edit: some in game action: http://e3.gamespot.com/video/6318186/
dialdfordesi
I live in a giant bucket.

Re: Dark Souls

Post by dialdfordesi »

Haven't beaten Demon Souls, but I'm still stoked for this!
Trust me, I'm a doctor!
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Shouldn't it be Dark's Souls...'s's's's's's's. :P

Seriously though, I just couldn't deal with the lack of continue points in the first game. It just killed me to spend the better part of an hour getting nearly to the end of a level, only to die and get sent all the way back to the beginning of the level. I just didn't have it in me to devout the time and practice necessary to play this game. Let me know if they change this, and I might play it. If not, then I probably won't bother. It's a shame too, because it had some promising features. :?
dialdfordesi

Post by dialdfordesi »

I feel ya on that Starnum. Back when I was a kid, a lack of checkpoints didn't matter, but I was, you know, a freakin kid with more free time.
Trust me, I'm a doctor!
brunoafh
This is my new home

Post by brunoafh »

I'm very stoked for this game. Will be playing from day one most likely. Demon's Souls is my favorite game this gen. I became pretty much obsessed with that game. Have dumped like 300 hours into it and completed a solo no-death run.
Starnum wrote:Let me know if they change this, and I might play it. If not, then I probably won't bother. It's a shame too, because it had some promising features. :?
The checkpoint system has been drastically altered, but supposedly the difficulty has been ramped up several notches in exchange (Demon's Souls isn't that hard, just brutally unforgiving. It appears Dark Souls may be the opposite). You create your own checkpoints now.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Hm, very interesting. Well that changes everything. I'll probably check it out then. It's not the difficulty that bothers me. I just hate doing the same thing over and over. I don't even like it whenever I have to replay a scene before a boss battle if I lose and have to continue.
TheParagon
Mastered PM

Post by TheParagon »

although you did get sent back to the start (or where u last slew a boss) when dying in demon's souls, there were often shortcuts you could activate which stayed activated after you died - and all items and weapons you gained you still kept.

i love the design of the new armors, weapons, stages, enemies and bosses (well pretty much everything I've seen so far), and i like the fact that there will be more armors and weapons in this game
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

I got platinum on that fucking game and no, the cheap ploy to extend gameplay time is not justified. Period. That said, I did enjoy the game, and I welcome the Dark Souls changes.
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
Aluja
Mastered PM

Post by Aluja »

Can't wait for it, if you preorder you get the collector's edition for free, neat.
Aluja
Mastered PM

Post by Aluja »

Any of you seen this picture?

http://i52.tinypic.com/e7mhki.jpg
dialdfordesi

Post by dialdfordesi »

The iron maiden, pile of corpses, and the crimson geckos would have been mere coincidence if not for the pick that shows that near identical closed iron maidens.
Trust me, I'm a doctor!
Aluja
Mastered PM

Post by Aluja »

True, you think they took references from Berserk?
jfss
imanewbie

Dark Souls enemy

Post by jfss »

I was just watching a gameplay video of the upcoming RPG Dark Souls, and saw an enemy just like the wheel guys from the start of the Conviction arc in Berserk.

They're at about 1:40 into the video.
Also, I'm sorry if this should have gone in an existing thread.
newbified
n00b Smasher

Re: Dark Souls enemy

Post by newbified »

Like... the Dark Souls thread at the top of the Video Gaming forum?
Steeples scrape the sky, Praising God.
Everything here exists for God, is sacrificed to God.
For those who have nothing to sacrifice,
It can be a very heartless city indeed.
Aluja
Mastered PM

Post by Aluja »

Like where I already linked a picture where it clearly shows the same aesthetics?
Satinn
imanewbie

Post by Satinn »

How did that guy get the English version of the game before the 4th?
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Merged. XD
TheParagon
Mastered PM

Post by TheParagon »

the player is probably a reviewer?

It looks very much awesome. I've preordered it - so soon the battle will begin

http://www.ign.com/videos/2011/09/30/da ... deo-review
TheParagon
Mastered PM

Post by TheParagon »

double post

got my copy today :)

starting off as a pyromancer with master key. looking very good so far
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

I'll get it later when I have more free time. How is it though? What are the favorable changes from the first?
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
TheParagon
Mastered PM

Post by TheParagon »

the graphics and AI are better. the world feel more open. and very beautiful levels and more creative monster design than in demon's souls.

the game runs pretty similar. three main things i would say are different in battles though. it's more effective to hold the weapon with two hands than in demon's souls, the enemies will chase you MUCH farther, and you can attack while jumping of ledges (which approx deals 3-5 times a normal hit - ive only found use of it in boss battles though)

oh, and from time to time you run into Tough enemies. if you do - just run for it. you will notice right away since the attack barely changed their life bar

the very little story telling though - id have wanted more of that. but its really a great game so far. if you liked demon's souls you will most likely like this one as well

edit: i almost forgot one of the biggest game playing changes: magic and healing items are used as items, with the exception that they replenish when you rest at a bonfire when you do that the enemies also respawn (the bonfires are like the sword in the beginning of maps or after bosses in demons souls). that means you cant use all magics on regular foes since then you dont have any left for the bosses. which means that magicians will have to use weapons more than in demon's souls (it takes many hours (for me 10) before you can buy new magics)
uncempt
Buzkashi wannabe

Post by uncempt »

This game totally kicked my arse for the first ten hours but I think I'm getting the hang of it now. The boss fight on the roof of the church nearly made me quit, i failed at it dozens of times, but eventually i had the epiphany that I could go play somewhere else and come back later. And then managed it first try :) Totally awesome game, the difficulty is perfect to make you get really great, rather than stumbling through. And the tension when you've got a load of souls you're scared to lose is priceless. Very cleverly designed game
TheParagon
Mastered PM

Post by TheParagon »

i had huge problems also with that boss (possibly some due to old traumas from demon's souls equivalent), but then i remembered that i could summon ppl if i was human, so i did and he died pretty quickly.

i got a bit frustrated though when i found out that intelligence didnt affect flames other than indirectly with the scaling of the "pyromancy weapon" (i'm a pyromancer with 20 in intelligence), but they might come in handy when i get some ordinary spells eventually

how many bosses have you defeated?
raziel
This is my new home

Post by raziel »

haven't played demon souls, but i REALLY want this one. I'm wondering how is it in terms of direction? From what I can tell, you're basically thrown into this massive world and you aren't given objectives or any idea of where to go. Is this true?
TheParagon
Mastered PM

Post by TheParagon »

well in the beginning you only have one way to go, and later on altough some paths might be open the enemies will just be to darn difficult (which means you should try another area and come back to this one later when you are powered up)