Dark Souls

Welcome to the official EG Gaming Buzkashi League (EGBL).

Moderator: EG Members

uncempt
Buzkashi wannabe

Re: Dark Souls

Post by uncempt »

Doesn't pyromancy get some intelligence scaling when you upgrade the flame a few levels? My level 6 flame has C scaling I think?
I just beat the gaping dragon in the depths. Capra demon was tough but moonlight butterfly was beautiful but easy
The only quest I've been given so far is to ring 2 bells. 24 hours later, I've done one...
TheParagon
Mastered PM

Post by TheParagon »

yes the weapon does scale with intelligence, but i still doubt that it was well spent level ups. there are so many cool weapons that i would rather be able to wield but that i lack str or dex to.

yea the story is pretty much non existent (in that sense it's really old school :P), but fortunately the game is so fun to play that it's still a great game
raziel
This is my new home

Post by raziel »

Yeah, so I followed the call of the undead and got myself a copy. I'm playing as the warrior mainly cuz after reading several reviews, combat seems to be melee oriented and there seems to be all kinds of weapons. although combat isn't as combo oriented as dmc or ninja gaiden, does it get old? Do you get new combos or something? I'm only at the beginning and love it so far. My mouth was open when I found myself and the 1st boss in the tutorial staring at eachother when I was on the ledge only to see him jump up and slay me while destroying the ledge. No worries, I got him back with the "shadow of the colossus" attack haha. great game so far
brunoafh
This is my new home

Post by brunoafh »

I've been playing the shit out of it, awesome game. I think I'm about half way through, maybe a bit more (Sen's Fortress). The game was giving me a rough time at first as well, but now I've got the trusty Black Knight Greatsword and I'm plowing through everything.

In related news, the other night I was playing whilst very intoxicated. I was fighting Ceaseless Discharge over and over at near blackout status (was doing it completely wrong of course, just charging it and attacking), and eventually passed out and woke up a few hours later. The weird part is that I was only wearing my boxers for some reason, and they were soaked with piss, along with my couch... Dark Souls made me black out and piss myself. Don't drink and play Dark Souls.
TheParagon
Mastered PM

Post by TheParagon »

hahaha

just beat ceaseless discharge, but im level 64 and i guess im about 80% through it. but im already itching to replay the game as a melee warrior

tip for newcomers: vitality is the single most important thing to upgrade while leveling up
papasith
Augh! Bright sky fire burn eyes!

Post by papasith »

seems the way to go is to have min str dex for the weapon you want to use. Min faith of int for spells with about 18 attunement max.

then go END to 40 then vitality

Lighting weapons are much better then stat scaleing weapons (until you get level 100+ ish)

Also path of the dragon covenant is fun...i just wish i had more pvp
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

That's pretty much the build I went for in Demon's Souls, except that I put a few more points in strength before going heavily on vitality. I wanted to make a paladin of sorts. High strength, endurance and vitality, and just enough magic and intelligence to be able to use the basic healing spells.

My character sucked.
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
TheParagon
Mastered PM

Post by TheParagon »

yeah remember my first character at demons souls. tried to have pretty even high of everything (like 20 in str, 18 in dex, 20 magic, and for some reason 30 in luck). he sucked so muched that i was heavily depending upon various poison clouds with hit and run tactics to be able to defeat the game

lesson learned: specialize
papasith

Post by papasith »

Things i cant wait for: Multiplayer to be fixed next patch
brunoafh
This is my new home

Post by brunoafh »

I dumped pretty much all of my levels into strength and endurance on my first Demon's Souls character. It worked really well. Being light weight and having high damage output is the shit, so long as you're able to avoid taking damage yourself.

I'm doing the same with my first Dark Souls character and it's working out really well again. I've been using the Black Knight Greatsword, but I found out you can't enchant it. What the fuck? Now I'm going to hunt for the Demon Machete, I think it's the strongest large sword that can be enchanted. My next character is going to be a dexterity/pyro build. Plan on using the Chaos Sword.
papasith

Post by papasith »

I current have an Int based character. I upgraded an Estoc to be +4 enchanted (cant seem to find the blue slab to make it +5)
Im souls level 60ish and its really fun. I had str at 11 and dex at about 12 and then raised int to 50, now pumping endurance.

I am currently needing to upgrade either a raw weapon to max, or just get a +15 normal weapon though so i can use my weapon enchant spell on it and i will be golden.

Other then spells sometimes not flying toward whom you are locked onto at all, spell casting is pretty easy path to go IMO. So many bosses where easier for not having to get into melee range with them.
TheParagon
Mastered PM

Post by TheParagon »

i found a blue slab in.. i think it's named crystal cave (the one with the dragon after dukes archive). you know where you go on something like a fallen pillar to drop off from to walk on the air to the boss - instead of dropping off right (where the boss is), drop off left. you walk on a curved invisible road until you come to a fallen pillar where you can pillage a corpse for it
TheParagon
Mastered PM

Post by TheParagon »

double post:

one month later i just got the last trophy i had left :)

just tried the new patch (1.05). it's good that they worsened crystal ring shield and homing magics, and i really liked that they added 6 points to equipment burden and buffed the normal upgraded weapons. it also felt logical that the normal shields got worse - after all greatshields should be much better. it's also nice that you can buy twinkling titanites now (i upgraded black iron set to max - it's a great armor and it looks totally badass)

but the greatest change is that it seems much easier to summon and invade people. i am level 162 and i could summon someone without waiting long (the bonfire before ornstein and smough) and we got invaded 3 times during our way to the boss :)
brunoafh
This is my new home

Post by brunoafh »

Yeah patch 1.05 is great. If they didn't patch it in the next few months I was going to cave and buy the Japanese version just to play 1.05, they fixed virtually everything (and fast), the game is near perfect now.
TheParagon
Mastered PM

Post by TheParagon »

yeah its really a great patch. i just hope they fix the kiln glitch since otherwise they will probably use it in speed runs which i hope they dont

i've kinda stopped leveling now, i am level 165 playing for the darkmoon covenant (rank 2) and playing in anor londo. the blue orb is pretty useless since it just fails but the ring works pretty fast (1-3min wait for a summon).

i'm having fun with Demon great Machete +15 and darkmoon blade. i have strength 40 - dual handed it's an insane 1107 (the numer in Status meny for "R Weapon 1") in attack power. when adding Power within to the mix i just damaged someone 1350 with a r1 swing :) and 2210 with a backstab :shock: and that's without a hornet ring, that would add another 50%...
brunoafh
This is my new home

Post by brunoafh »

I've been using the Demon Machete +15 too. Awesome weapon. I don't have Darkmoon Blade yet though so I've just been using Great Magic Weapon on it, still pretty beastly.
TheParagon
Mastered PM

Post by TheParagon »

accidently identical double posting
Last edited by TheParagon on Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheParagon
Mastered PM

Post by TheParagon »

New downloadable content out (it's well worth it), and a new patch (balanced things and fixed most, if not all known glitches. The patch is also for those without the new content). I love it. The new levels are awesome and the new bosses even more so. There are some cool new armors and weapons too, but its not like they overpower the ones from the main game. There are also a few new magics and pyromancies (my personal opinion is that they should nerf the new magics). A lot of players online, so it's easy to invade or play co-op. I played new game and tried a high dext guy and recently cleared all the bosses (including the new ones). Went back to my old file and tried to get as high attack power as possible and managed an insane 1459 (demon machete +15, red tearstone ring with low hp, strength lvl 51, dark moon blade level highest level, two handed. edit: i wonder if that's max attack power, since an added power within didn't increase it). It felt good :). Now I'm doing a foolish attempt at beating the game at level 1 (pyromancer) without co-op. I allow myself to upgrade things though. Just called the first bell.

this is the new patch:

PVE Changes

Increased enemy HP (more detail needed)
New Crystal Golem In Dukes Archives Drops Only Blue Titanite Chunk
Corpse located by well in Firelink Shrine now carries 3 Humanity
Specific Gear Changes

Dark Wood Grain Ring effect fixed; now only activates at 25% equip load and below rather than 50%
Hornet Ring critical increase reduced from 50% to 30%
Mask of the Father effect reduced to 5%
Mask of the Mother effect reduced to 10%
Mask of the Child effect reduced to ~33.3%
Rapier and Spear attacks while shielding takes more stamina
Two-handed Greatsword R1 recovery between swings increased. The swings themselves are still the same speed. One-handed attacks are unchanged.
Homing Crystal Soulmass and Homing Soulmass damage reduced (needs confirmation). The glitch is also fixed where if you were an invader it would target you sometimes instead of the host. causing the soulmass to become useless.
Non-scaling upgrade paths Chaos, Lightning and Fire reduced by ~10%
PC and Xbox can now port-forward to reduce online lag.
Elite Knight set fixed; its poise is now 46 in the NA versions
Eagle Shield physical damage reduction is now 95%
All roll speeds (except for Ninja Flip) buffed. They are now faster and possibly have greater invulnerability frames (needs confirmation only medium roll is confirmed to be faster).
Other changes

More Bonfire warp points - Undead Parish, Tomb of the Giants, Depths, The Duke's Archives, Painted World of Ariamis.
Lava damage increased
Oswald of Carim now carries Homeward Bones
Orange Soapstone messages placed after patch show both positive and negative ratings (PS3)
You can now parry while blocking
Glitches and fixes

Bottomless Box glitch fixed
Dragon Head Stone glitch fixed
Spellswap glitch fixed.
Pendant description fixed
Incorrect miracle descriptions in splash screen fixed
Online Changes

Miracle resonance signs now appear correctly (PS3)
Misc Additions

Artorias of the Abyss DLC is included in the patch. The product offered on the respective Xbox and PS3 Marketplaces is just a 100kb unlock key file.
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

I didn't think they would re-balance the game this much considering they didn't with the last one. That's pretty cool.

I'm really interested in this game but I still haven't gotten it. With Steam I got more games than I have time to play and Dark Souls is just gonna have to wait its turn (I'll probably snatch it next time there's a good deal for it on Steam though). Right now I'm pretty ingrained with Borderlands 2.

By the way, how does parrying while blocking work?
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
TheParagon
Mastered PM

Post by TheParagon »

To be honest i have no idea how parrying while blocking works. Truth be told i suck at parrying. I prefer to just block with shield and hit them right afterwards or back stab (safer).
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

Parrying was a high risk, high reward deal in Demon's Souls. Awesome if you pulled it out and worth it to a point, but for the most part, too risky when lag issues came into play. I remember fighting this much weaker guy and I kept trying for a parry but it never came out, I saw the moves coming and blocked in the nick of time, but the game rarely resolved laggy fights in my favor if I was trying to parry.

Backstabs on the other hand are much easier and worth just as much. I once caught this guy running away from me and even though he turned around, he was already locked into the backstab animation and I killed him anyway.
brunoafh
This is my new home

Post by brunoafh »

Much like the rest of the combat system, parrying remains largely unaltered. It's still high risk/high reward, much like every other principal these games are driven on. The netcode with Dark Souls is way better though, so there is a lot less whackiness. There's still room for parry/backstab lag abuse, but it's nothing like constant backstab abuse in Demon's Souls.
TheParagon
Mastered PM

Post by TheParagon »

War Machine wrote:
By the way, how does parrying while blocking work?
I just found out. Before when you pressed L2 while still holding L1 (with a small or medium shield), you would parry after releasing L1. Now the parrying goes off directly upon pressing L2 even while holding L1.

edit: just became a darkwraith SL 1 :). (i actually became one before killing Smough and ornstein. the fireplace in the abyss always have warp even if you dont have the lordvessel). it's almost no waiting time to invade (since you can invade those with 10% lower soul level, and infinitly higher, you can invade everyone if your level is 1). Not sure if i want to beat the game now since it's so fun invading with no waiting time. equipment is: mask of mother, elite knight armour +10, elite knight leggings +9, Xanthous Gloves +5, lightning battle axe +5, baldurs shield +15, ascended fire hand +5, great fireball, great combustion, ring of favor and protection and some other ring (depends on my mood)
Shade
This is my new home

Post by Shade »

Dark Souls would have to be my favourite game in the last 5 years easy. I love the fact that it's difficult.
It culls the weak from the strong..err.. or patient. Nevertheless Fromsoft kick serious ass.
Loved Demons Souls. Played it through 4 times to platinum (kept missing shit)

Almost at Platinum for Dark Souls but i've been put it off as its very much a game for when you're home alone or not going to be disturbed for a few hours XD

I just wish it were easier to get those damn blue slabs >_<
Last edited by Shade on Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~http://www.thecenternetwork.com/forum/~
TheParagon
Mastered PM

Post by TheParagon »

there are two blue slabs. one in crystal cave and one in the dlc. in my opinion the titanite slabs and red titanite slabs are the ones you want.

just beat knight artoris(an awesome and extremely difficult boss in the dlc) as level 1. that was hard as hell (i might have died 20 times before succeeding). truely satisfying