PS3 Thread

Welcome to the official EG Gaming Buzkashi League (EGBL).

Moderator: EG Members

War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Re: PS3 Thread

Post by War Machine »

I was referring to the second part: "one of the best FF's out there."

FFXIII is not that bad, but it's a far cry from best.
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Well I'm sure not everyone out there will agree with me, but I think FF13 is one of the best FF's since FF7. Like I said, I can't account for anything before that. Maybe some day I'll go retro and play the old ones too. Call me crazy or whatever, but this is how I rank the ones I have played.

FF7, FF9, FF13, FF8, FF10, FF10-2, FF12 (I could go either way on the last two, but at least I actually finished 10-2, which is more than I can say about 12.)

I never got the chance to play 11, and I'll always be a FF7 fanboy (There, I admit it!). The fact that it was my first FF probably has a lot to do with it, and everyone knows how much I love Sephy, heh. :P
fujinsan
Flexing spam muscles

Post by fujinsan »

Yeah I remember spending hours apon hours of my child hood leveling my characters and maxing out the best of the best materia. I've even had a file on there where I leveled all the way up to 60 before making it to rufus. That game was just fun to level on as well, got both side characters (can't remember if sid was a side character or not.) Only thing I regret was not killing ruby weapon when I had the chance. If they remade it you'd better bet it'd be a hit, as long as they don't do any of the fancy stuff that ruins most remakes, like taking content out of the game for instance.
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

I never got around to playing X-2 and XII, and only played some of the older ones. Not for lack of appeal, I just didn't get around to playing them, too many other games on my list. Of the FF games I did play though, being the compleationist/obsessive person that I am, I always dove right into them trying to beat every boss, acquire all the ultimate weapons and uncover every little secret. I played FFVII countless of times when I was younger and even recently re-played FFVIII just to experience it again as an adult (cause I did not understand anything about the story the first time through). I also played countless hours of FFXI until I finally broke the MMORPG addiction.

FFXIII though, simply doesn't appeal to me like that. I played some 20 hours, give or take, and quite frankly, I don't give a shit about anything. I don't care for any of the characters, the story feels like a soap opera for teenagers, and the battle system is limited at best. Granted, the battle system in other FFs were never too complicated (attack robots with thunder and flame enemies with water), but on FFXIII the only decision you have to make is when to change Paradigms and to which one, that's it. The game is not that bad, but after playing it for that long I stopped doing so and so far haven't felt any need or desire to go back to it, which is the complete opposite reaction I've had to any other FF game I've ever played.
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

I'm still stuck (not gameplay wise but I just can't bring myself to play any further) on Gran Pulse in FF13. I actually enjoyed the scripted path up to that point. You didn't have to backtrack. You didn't have kill lame monsters for lame rewards, you always killed them to advance the plot. Now I'm in gran pulse, I can freeroam but I don't want to. I want plot. Tight plot. Without much grinding in between but that's exactly what I'm supposed to do right now in the game to advance.

That, and while the fighting system sure is fun, it gets stale after some time. You got your 2, maybe 3 formations and switch between them and kill everything with just pressing X. I seriously had a friend who was grinding in World of Warcraft while at the same time grinding his party in FF13 by just pressing X all the time. When it gets to party fighting systems, I still like the Dragon Age (on PC!) take on it the most. Old School RPG turn based combat, but in realtime, pausable all the time. Thrown on top of that, the gambit system from FF12. To me, Dragon Age has the perfect party combat system. When you can't be bothered because you're killing weaklings you can just let the AI handle it like you configured it to, and against tougher enemies you can micromanage as much as you like to get cool skill combinations and stuff.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Well you don't really have to grind too much in chapter 11 to advance the plot. Just keep going to where you're supposed to, until it feels like you're getting behind the curve, and then go back and grind a bit if you need to, until you can advance again. There should be plenty of monsters to fight on the way though. That's actually what I did the first time. I didn't really go back and do my serious free-roam / grinding until chapter 13. Then I only did that because I wanted to. You may as well do the first 15 missions and get the chocobo when you first get to chapter 11 though. After that you should be fine to continue advancing. I don't know, maybe it's just me, but I really like this game. Though I haven't played in a while. I love the cast, overall more so then any other cast I've seen in a FF game. Heh, well not more than Dissidia, but that doesn't really count as it's one of the side games, which I don't really count when talking about the main series. I like the combat system, and I actually enjoyed grinding and doing all the side quests, which I normally hate. I still haven't done everything, but I've done most of it. I only have about the last 15 missions to five star, and I got all the ultimate weapons and such.
Aluja
Mastered PM

Post by Aluja »

I found a little glitch on FFXIII, with Light's special skill "Army of One"
Basically, I spammed my strength way more then magic, while performing the skill "Army of One" it does ok magical damage, but when you paradigm shift back to a commando which uses strength, the damage goes way up.
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

PSN is down and I can't play online, this is a major bummer (especially since I got Portal 2 recently).
sandimas
notanewb

Post by sandimas »

lol yeah anonymous is doing hard work hacking the psn.
banned from evil genius twice, from sk.net twice, facebook a lot, cant count, from hi5 too many!
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

sandimas wrote:lol yeah anonymous is doing hard work hacking the psn.
Anonymous already went out publicly saying it's not them.
brunoafh
This is my new home

Post by brunoafh »

War Machine wrote:
sandimas wrote:lol yeah anonymous is doing hard work hacking the psn.
Anonymous already went out publicly saying it's not them.
Yeah, I saw that too, but it seems like a waste of time to try to reason with this guy. I'm starting to think he's some kind of advanced spam bot prototype or something. His posts barely seem human.

What's strange about the PSN downtime thing is that it's supposedly not 100% offline. Supposedly dev consoles can still go online. I've spoken with someone that says this is true (he's got one). Another thing that's weird is that Sony has released an official statement saying that the problems are due to an "external intrusion", yet, like you said, Anon is denying that they had any part in it.
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

I heard a rumor that the Digital Foundry twitter said the hack opened up the store. If that's true, then they're probably busy changing the whole system to prevent that from happening again.
Aluja
Mastered PM

Post by Aluja »

I honestly believe that they're just looking for a scapegoat, like Anon. Perfect...they're hackers why not just blame it on them.
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

That's what I thought at first as well, but they just released a statement saying that people who had their credit card information on the PSN to keep an eye on them cause the information may have been compromised. They've already warned major credit card companies to be ready.
brunoafh
This is my new home

Post by brunoafh »

They more or less said that not only has your credit card information been compromised, all of your personal information has been compromised as well. They're sending out e-mails to all effected accounts. I haven't gotten one yet, but I know a few who have.
Aluja
Mastered PM

Post by Aluja »

On another note.

I hate it when they say "Thank you for your patience" Why do they assume we're patient? Really....I'm not patient and what's up with all this amateur crap Sony's been showing.

I read somewhere that Sony said that "our" PS3's aren't ours, they're Sony's and we're somewhat renting them, a lease if you will....

I swear, if this gets told to me by a Sony employee, I will smash MY PS3 on his head...."Your thick head broke it, I want compensation!" is what I'll say...
papasith
Augh! Bright sky fire burn eyes!

Post by papasith »

as an odd note,
you can still get on netflix with your ps3 even when psn is down :\
Aluja
Mastered PM

Post by Aluja »

Yeah I get updates on new purchased games.
lon3vvolf
n00b Smasher

Post by lon3vvolf »

Shits back up. Not like I play much online anyway.

Now wheres my free games/movies Sony!
Mail
Mastered PM

Post by Mail »

So, PSN's back up now? Anyone know how big the trouble got for them?
dialdfordesi
I live in a giant bucket.

Post by dialdfordesi »

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/episo ... ack/713901
That does a good job of explaining the situation. They offered to cover 1 million in credit card expenses, though, if you're from the states and your card hasn't been physically stolen, you aren't liable for shit. The biggest costs would come from upgrading the security for SoE, Qriocity, and PSN, because who really has 1 million dollar credit limits?
Trust me, I'm a doctor!
dos.azn
the_Gook_of_EG

Post by dos.azn »

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/05/ ... h-america/

This is the proposed "Welcome back" package that all PSN users will get, which I think is pretty generous.
Aluja
Mastered PM

Post by Aluja »

They're crap, but free games is free games.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Infamous is a pretty good game. I wouldn't mind owning a copy of that.
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

I already got LBP and InFamous, so I'm gonna go for Dead Nation and Wipeout HD.