PS3 Thread

Welcome to the official EG Gaming Buzkashi League (EGBL).

Moderator: EG Members

Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Re: PS3 Thread

Post by Aetherfukz »

papasith wrote:so i just go a ps3. bought heavy rain with it, it was pretty cool (kind of like indigo prophecy w/o getting really weird at the end)

next on my list is disgea 3 (i love the other games)

the question is does ps3 offer anything else that my 360 has not?
Fucking Uncharted 2, game of the (last) year and IMHO the perfect amalgation of hollywood blockbuster and kickass gameplay.
Killzone 2, very good and gritty shooter.
Valkyria Chronicles, awesome turn based strategy + anime.
Metal Gear Solid 4. Like every other MGS, awesome.

Any many more I forgot at the moment :D
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Infamous is pretty good.

And you must get PixelJunk Monsters.
dialdfordesi
I live in a giant bucket.

Post by dialdfordesi »

I always knew that God of War had over the top violence but man oh man
[spoiler]I was really surprised by gouging out Poseidon's eyes...from Poseidon's POV[/spoiler]
Trust me, I'm a doctor!
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

dialdfordesi wrote:I always knew that God of War had over the top violence but man oh man
[spoiler]I was really surprised by gouging out Poseidon's eyes...from Poseidon's POV[/spoiler]
The best part of it was that you had to press both analog sticks down to do it, which mirrors the motion in reallife rather... creepily.
thepeaguy
notanewb

Post by thepeaguy »

I like Modern Warfare 2 and the Nazi Zombie mode on World At War. Get those.

Yakuza 3 is also good despite it suffering from content cuts.
papasith
Augh! Bright sky fire burn eyes!

Post by papasith »

i have been playing the hell out of ff13... like 18 hours in the past two days :(

anyone try out resonance of fate? the trailers look kinda showy but the games mechanics sound cool

also i want valkeryia chronicles as soon as i can find a copy
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

papasith wrote:i have been playing the hell out of ff13... like 18 hours in the past two days :(

anyone try out resonance of fate? the trailers look kinda showy but the games mechanics sound cool

also i want valkeryia chronicles as soon as i can find a copy
Resonance of Fate looks really interesting. Nice setting and the combat mechanics as you say sound cool. But from all the reviews I've read it's extremly hard and unforgiving, needs lots of grinding and the story is really meh, with a few chapters that don't have anything to do with each other.

And while I'm a sucker for RPGs of any kind normally, right now FF13 and since yesterday Dragonage Origins: Awakening are using up all my gametime :D

And Valkyria Chronicles is one of the best games on the PS3. And the closest thing to a playable good anime you can get. And one of the best takes on strategy games in particular.
dialdfordesi

Post by dialdfordesi »

I wholeheartedly agree with you about Valkyria Chronicles. Something about that game just feels awesome. The mechanics and strategy hit the mark. Also, it's got John DiMaggio voice acting in it, which is always a plus

I Just played Demon's Souls and God damn the game is sick. The gameplay is amazing and doesn't sell out by making the game easy so it can appeal to more people. It's all about skill and you get punished hard for messing up. It's tough, but not frustratingly so, and it's fun to play. The online component adds a huge amount and a unique flair to the game itself. Definitely a game you want to check out if you can.
Trust me, I'm a doctor!
halfnhalf
Conversation Killer

Post by halfnhalf »

Starnum needs to play more SF4
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Heh, I could use the practice, that's for sure. Good matches the other night. We should do it again sometime soon. Looking forward to SSFIV.
halfnhalf
Conversation Killer

Post by halfnhalf »

Just got some new buttons to upgrade my SE.

If you want to win, play ryu/sagat.

BTW every person that owns a ps3, plan to get 3d dot heroes. That shit is old school zelda.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Ah, well I finally finished Bioshock 2. Good stuff.
halfnhalf
Conversation Killer

Post by halfnhalf »

first one was aight, ill play the second much like I did with the first; wait till its 20 bucks or less.
dialdfordesi

Post by dialdfordesi »

3D Dot Game Heroes has been on my radar for a good while. I love the style and who can say no to a Zelda-esque game that doesn't take itself seriously?
Trust me, I'm a doctor!
Shiva
Mastered PM

Post by Shiva »

Starnum wrote:Ah, well I finally finished Bioshock 2. Good stuff.
Yeah it's pretty good though lack of the actual boos fight at the end make this game kinda incomplete and overall difficulty is laughable in comparison with the first game. But the real eyesore is online play. As if online wasn't dumb enough already they released non-playable map pack.
dialdfordesi

Post by dialdfordesi »

Transformers: War for Cybertron is actually a very fun game. Nothing is as cool as running around Gears of War style then changing into a vehicle to outmaneuver opponents! The gameplay is pretty solid, though hard difficulty is a bitch, it's got a horde mode, the campaign can be played as 3-player co-op online, and the dialog and all that jazz is fantastic. Definitely worth checking out!
Trust me, I'm a doctor!
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Yeah know what?

Fuck FFXIII.

I'm playing FFIX from the PSN, bitches.
newbified
n00b Smasher

Post by newbified »

FFIX was great. I don't know why so many people hate on it.
Steeples scrape the sky, Praising God.
Everything here exists for God, is sacrificed to God.
For those who have nothing to sacrifice,
It can be a very heartless city indeed.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

I didn't like the character designs, but it is one of the best FF's out there.
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

Starnum wrote:I didn't like the character designs, but it is one of the best FF's out there.
For a second there I thought you were referring to FFXIII, I was about to smack you in the face.

I haven't finished FFXIII either, maybe I'll get to it later.

I got Fallout 3 GOTY and it's great, the extra missions and items are all great, the only problems are the bugs. If you thought Fallout 3 was glitchy, wait until you play the DLCs, they have a guaranteed crash every 20 to 30 minutes. I'm still playing cause the game is still fun and I like all the extra content, but the bugs and glitches are way out of control. One funny glitch, when I finished the last mission on the Broken Steel DLC I decided to blow up an Enclave base where I was; after setting up some satellite to shoot missiles down at the base I went to a helipad where a helicopter picked me up and moved us to a building a little further away so we could watch the fireworks (this is all normal), unknown to me though, one of my followers, Star Paladin Cross, somehow got stuck at the base and when the whole base blew up I got greeted with the message: "Star Paladin Cross has died." Which I thought was hilarious. I reloaded my game and made sure she followed me the next time. Another weird glitch had Enclave soldiers spawn without clothes, they were just soldiers in their underwear shooting at us. Unfortunately, most of the glitches are unfunny crashes where I have to get up from the couch and hold the power button to reset the PS3.

I like the game, but the developers really fucked it up by not patching jack shit since the DLCs started rolling out. I mean, the game is even more prone to crashes than Knights of the Old Republic 2 was when I was messing around with the save file to give my human jedi character dark side powers and wookie rage.
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

War Machine wrote:For a second there I thought you were referring to FFXIII, I was about to smack you in the face.
For which part? I actually think FF13 is a great game, and I really like it a lot. Though it does seem like all the plot is front loaded. The biggest complaint I hear from people is that it's too linear, but if that's all there is to complain about then big deal. I play a lot of action games and they're all linear too, I really don't mind that kind of thing. I really enjoy the game-play too. I think you said before that it seems to all boil down to changing paradigms from offense to defense, but it's never that simple, especially when you start trying to take out all the marks. Besides, I really like the main cast a lot, and that's the most important thing. That's more than I can say for the other FF's, where there's generally only a few characters I like in each game, though I've only played 7 - 13 so I can't account for any of the FF's before that.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Starnum wrote:...though I've only played 7 - 13...
Wow.

You haven't played the best FF of them all.

No wonder you don't like the character designs in IX.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

It's just that their heads are disproportionately larger than their bodies that I don't like, everything else is fine.
newbified
n00b Smasher

Post by newbified »

To never have played FFIII (IV) & V...
Steeples scrape the sky, Praising God.
Everything here exists for God, is sacrificed to God.
For those who have nothing to sacrifice,
It can be a very heartless city indeed.
fujinsan
Flexing spam muscles

Post by fujinsan »

Ok story wise ffXIII beats VII there I said it, but in gameplay and overall awesomenesses VII pwns