The future of EG torrents

Way off-topic, and allowed! General discussions on anything and everything.

Moderator: EG Members

psi29a
Godo

The future of EG torrents

Post by psi29a »

Has it really been 10 years since we launched our own tracker? We're still here... 8)

Over the course of the decade, torrent technology has advanced but we've been using the same old tracker. Arke and I have been keeping the old mule running, kicking her when she falls over and using large carrots to motivate her forward. It is time for something else.

We've evaluated many options and have concluded that it is time to shut the tracker down.

Don't panic!

We're modifying our existing torrents to no longer point to our tracker and going fully tracker-less. We'll also provide magnet links for these as well. This also includes new releases!

The torrents that you are currently downloading from and/or seeding will still work because your client uses DHT and PEX. This means that even without a tracker, your client is smart enough to look around for others trying to torrent the same exact file.

The list of torrents on the blog (on the right hand side) will be removed and the download/tracker page will be replaced with a list of torrents and their magnet links. We may in the future add additional information.

We'll update posts in the forum referencing torrents to have the right address, possibly fixing broken ones while we're at it.

TLDR; We're going tracker-less. Don't panic, your torrents wills till work.

Right, that's about it. Are there any comments or questions?

Some reading material:
https://torrentfreak.com/common-bittorr ... hs-091024/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distributed_hash_table
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peer_exchange
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnet_URI_scheme
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Re: The future of EG torrents

Post by War Machine »

Just one question: How have you been, man?
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

War Machine wrote:Just one question: How have you been, man?
Pretty damn good.

I'm still in the background and incredibly lucky/happy that EG (staff) have been at it for so long, you guys rock!

I'm also glad that Berserk/Miura is still alive. ;)

How goes with you? (And everyone?)
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

I'm alright. Every time a small thing needs done (like send some papers I need for health insurance, for example) I panic and believe that failing that task will be the end of the world. But once it's done I go back to worrying about something else, so overall, not bad.
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Doin' alright. Life has gotten moderately better for me over the last few months. Living in a new town, in a nicer place, with a newer car. So I can't complain, lol. Other than that, it's the same old stuff I've been doing for the past 10 years, lol. Mainly waiting for that next Berserk chapter, ya know? Heh, hope everyone is well, take care guys. XD
tmokbel1965
imanewbie

Post by tmokbel1965 »

This is excellent news! Just wanted to say thanks for everything you do :)
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

You guys are doing god's work.

EDIT: Did I just necro something? I'm such a noob....
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

Lordmune is handling the translation? What a guy.
A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.
-Sir Francis Bacon, Of Atheism <---Did I make this my sig? This shits gay as fuck.
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

I am indeed a what kind of guy. Great to see you Buz bby
"I love a buz" - LordMune, 2012
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

Mune is the future. The future is Mune.
A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.
-Sir Francis Bacon, Of Atheism <---Did I make this my sig? This shits gay as fuck.