Breakfast!? What do you have?

Way off-topic, and allowed! General discussions on anything and everything.

Moderator: EG Members

Kordell
imanewbie

Breakfast!? What do you have?

Post by Kordell »

ToAsT and BuTTer FTW!!!
a burden is in my soul...perfection is my goal
Starnum
Elven King

Re: Breakfast!? What do you have?

Post by Starnum »

Typically, a bowl of cereal. >.>
dialdfordesi
I live in a giant bucket.

Post by dialdfordesi »

Nothing, I usually will have coffee if I do grab something in the morning.
Trust me, I'm a doctor!
newbified
n00b Smasher

Post by newbified »

Generally skip breakfast. Just a lot of coffee and water until lunch.
Steeples scrape the sky, Praising God.
Everything here exists for God, is sacrificed to God.
For those who have nothing to sacrifice,
It can be a very heartless city indeed.
brunoafh
This is my new home

Post by brunoafh »

I think breakfast is a very important part of daily living. I usually just have bread or vegetables due to my morning being really busy, but I'd like to change that and get a more well rounded meal in the morning.

It's come to this. Berserk releases are so sparse breakfast is a more viable discussion.
Kordell
imanewbie

Post by Kordell »

brunoafh wrote:It's come to this. Berserk releases are so sparse breakfast is a more viable discussion.
breakfast is certainly important but as i examine myself i recognize that the slight physical pain i may feel when i miss breakfast doesn`t compare to the deep inward pain that the absence of the next chapter of berserk causes me (i may exaggerate a little but you get the point). because of this observation i would say that berserk may mean more to me than breakfast which in my opinion makes it more viable for discussion.
Texanian
notanewb

Post by Texanian »

brunoafh wrote:I think breakfast is a very important part of daily living. I usually just have bread or vegetables due to my morning being really busy, but I'd like to change that and get a more well rounded meal in the morning.

It's come to this. Berserk releases are so sparse breakfast is a more viable discussion.
Consider it actualy bad for health and dont have one.
Reading in the morning is much better than eating.
"Then you will come to think of things in a wide sense, and taking the Void as the Way, you will thee the Way as Void.In the void is virtue, and no evil. Wisdom has existence, principle has existence,spirit is nothingness."- M.M (TBO5R)
dialdfordesi

Post by dialdfordesi »

Skipping breakfast is associated with insulin resistance (pre-diabetes), obesity, and heart disease. If you're doing fine without it and your cholesterol is doing well, then you're an outlier.

EDIT: I don't know specifics on the correlation and studies but I've glossed over some review articles on the matter.
Trust me, I'm a doctor!
brunoafh
This is my new home

Post by brunoafh »

I've read some interesting articles that have claimed that eating breakfast is not good for you, with evidence to support the claim. Obviously there is an abundance of studies out there that claim that it is good for you. When it comes to eating/diet, there is no "right" answer for a lot of things though. Everyone is different. For me, I know that I function better throughout the day if I eat something shortly after waking up, even if it's just a piece of bread.
Texanian
notanewb

Post by Texanian »

I'm not a doctor but i can tell If the one's body and mental condition are doing fine ,not having food even for a day won't make his heart stop or make him fatass.Of course it's just my subjective opinion ....I think if things such just "skipping breakfast" make your sugar level rise or cause heart disease,that means something is wrong with your general health condition and it's not because of temproary foodless stomack.
Of course everyone is different and the situations are always different.So,yeah,for each and every the "right"answer will be different too.When i have lot to do in the morning,or i know that it won't be possible to eat till the late evening i eat some too.
"Then you will come to think of things in a wide sense, and taking the Void as the Way, you will thee the Way as Void.In the void is virtue, and no evil. Wisdom has existence, principle has existence,spirit is nothingness."- M.M (TBO5R)
hadi
This is my new home

Post by hadi »

Texanian wrote:I'm not a doctor
stopped reading after that.
dialdfordesi

Post by dialdfordesi »

If you google the DOI 10.1111/j.1467-789X.2011.00936.x you will see a review article on eating habits and its effect on obesity. Here's an excerpt:

We found 31 cross-sectional and eight longitudinal studies about the relation between eating frequency and excess weight. Adjustment for sociodemographic, physical activity and energy or food intake variables was performed in 10 of the cross-sectional and in three of the longitudinal studies. In children and adolescents, the 14 cross-sectional studies showed heterogeneous results. However, the five cross-sectional studies with best adjustment for confounders consistently found that eating more times a day was inversely associated with excess weight. Furthermore, in one case-control study and in two prospective studies, eating at least three times per day predicted lower BMI and less frequency of obesity. In adults, seven of the nine cross-sectional studies with good confounders control reported an inverse association between meal frequency and obesity.

However, Shin et al. did not find an association between meal frequency and the metabolic syndrome. Furthermore, one study observed that, in young adults and in those over age 60, eating more than six times a day was associated with higher BMI in comparison to eating three or fewer times a day. Finally, only two prospective studies of this association were identified, both with good confounders control. In the first, no association was found between meal frequency and weight change in the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey participants after 8 years of follow-up. In the second study, eating four or more times a day, in comparison with eating three times per day, increased the risk of gaining 5 kg over a 10-year period.

So this suggests that it may be better to do 3 or fewer meals if you're an adult. The articles go for a random selection in the population to make sure that their findings are reproducible. If you were to look at a group of people that restrict their calorie intake to a certain amount, the results would probably not show a significant difference based on the meal frequency, but that's conjecture.

In kids, though, breakfast is pretty important. If you want a good article to check out on it, look up 10.3945/jn.109.114405 on google.
Trust me, I'm a doctor!
Kordell
imanewbie

Post by Kordell »

hadi wrote:
Texanian wrote:I'm not a doctor
stopped reading after that.
...LOL!

this morning i had blackeye peas, rice and pumpkin for breakfast. unusual but tasty =) my belly was pleased
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

Yeah, I'm one of those that never misses breakfast. Usually, I prepare eggs with something (scrambled eggs and ham, sunny side up eggs and bacon, etc.), but when I don't feel like cooking anything the least I ever eat for breakfast is a bowl of cereal.
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

Just ate 4000 user accounts for breakfast... most were spammers, some were just lurkers. They should have posted more.
Kordell
imanewbie

Post by Kordell »

psi29a wrote:Just ate 4000 user accounts for breakfast... most were spammers, some were just lurkers. They should have posted more.
0_o...you can eat user accounts? ummm can i have a taste?
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

psi29a wrote:Just ate 4000 user accounts for breakfast... most were spammers, some were just lurkers. They should have posted more.
Awesome, thanks!
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

I usually eat a bagel with cream cheese, then imbibe enough coffee to sterilize a horse.
Speaking of nutrition, Pubmed churned this out when I searched "breakfast".

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2788187/

That's a study relating the degree of acculturation ("american-ness") and obesity among korean-americans.
It states that there's a positive relation between both variables among males.

That got a chuckle out of me.

P.S. I don't know how gauche it might be to post newyorker stuff at people, but this article had me convulsed with laughter: http://www.newyorker.com/humor/2013/07/ ... ts_frazier

I'll let you guess where the link to this post is.
One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings.
~Diogenes of Sinope
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

Oatmeal and Tea. Or Eggs and Tea. During my college days it was coffee and cigarettes though. Sadly, I cant enjoy cereal anymore. The milk kind of gets to me and makes me feel all bloated and gassy.. (TMI).
A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.
-Sir Francis Bacon, Of Atheism <---Did I make this my sig? This shits gay as fuck.
dialdfordesi

Post by dialdfordesi »

Lactose intolerance is a bitch
Trust me, I'm a doctor!