Mortal Kombat Legacy

Way off-topic, and allowed! General discussions on anything and everything.

Moderator: EG Members

lon3vvolf
n00b Smasher

Mortal Kombat Legacy

Post by lon3vvolf »

For thos who remember that 'reboot' vid from a while back, the web series just released the 3rd episode:
(Think they will be releasing uncut versions in addition to the censored ones)

Episode 1:

Episode 2:

Episode 3:
Starnum
Elven King

Re: Mortal Kombat Legacy

Post by Starnum »

Oh yeah, I remember the video you're talking about. I was wondering what that was about. So basically it was a preview for this webisode minseries then? Thanks for the links, I'll check it out for sure. ;)

Michael Jai White as Jax is awesome. XD
dos.azn
the_Gook_of_EG

Post by dos.azn »

I saw a preview a while back on Gamespot. I think the actors they got was awesome, Michael Jai White, Jeri Ryan, Ian Anthony Dale, but this show looks pretty lousy. Since when does Baraka look like a zombie Eddy Gordo with spears coming out of his arms? The modern day setting also seems like a bad idea, most of MK's awesomeness comes from its fantasy/mythological background. Not only do they use the bg music of the Resident Evil films in the MK trailer, but it also looks like Resident Evil and nothing like MK at all, aside from a few props they used to pay respect to the characters and their special moves.
dialdfordesi
I live in a giant bucket.

Post by dialdfordesi »

I'm waiting for Friday to see episode three, machinima says that's when the uncensored version comes out.

The Batman Begins approach to the MK universe is pretty interesting, and I'm eager to see how it pans out.
Trust me, I'm a doctor!
lon3vvolf
n00b Smasher

Post by lon3vvolf »

The preview you saw wasn't a preview. A guy who had some connections asked some favors to people who knew the actors (Ryan and White) and shot that to pitch it to various studios for a movie. It wasn't even supposed to go public. He thought he put it up as a private video on youtube but then everyone caught wind of it. Interestingly that was about the time Midway went byebye and tried to sell off its IPs. WB was the only serious bidder and got the MK franchise and all other properties to go along with it. While they didn't greenlight a movie they gave him this short web series to introduce the characters backgrounds.

Its different from the original 'trailer' while using some of the same actors. I love the fact that they got Matt Mullins for Johnny Cage. The guy is a traditional martial artist, he was at a tournament I went to once. Hopefully he doesn't die... *yeeah right*

While I agree some of the material may not be the best of choice, hopefully they changed it around for these webisodes. You have to change some things around when you're working with a property based off a game and so far its better than anything I could hope for.

Better than this:
dos.azn
the_Gook_of_EG

Post by dos.azn »

Lol I liked the live action MK film. Yeah the second one was really terrible but the first one did a decent job. They both had cheesy dialogue but if you factor in the historical/mythological setting of MK, it only makes sense that they made the dialogue cheesy on purpose. Its pretty lulzy when Shang Tsung performs his Soultaker on someone and yells FATALITY right after.

I'm a huge MK fan though so I will definitely check out the Legacy episodes, but I don't really like what I saw so far in the previews. :(
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

I like it so far. I actually like the approach they're taking with this miniseries. Though I'm not really a big fan of the games, so that's understandable. I thought the live-action movies were ass, but that's me. IMO, these 3 short webisodes already trump both movies combined. Though I'm looking forward to seeing more of the powers displayed. I'll be disappointed if that doesn't pan out. Don't get me wrong, I like the mythology of MK as well, however, to me the movies felt very cheesy and fake. As far as I know the games are set in modern day, so I see no reason that they can't still work in the mythology, and I'm sure they will. I'm normally a stickler for character designs, but I don't really mind if they take a little liberty here. I actually prefer the more realistic approach this miniseries is taking, to me it's more immersive that way. I think it shows a lot of promise. As long as they don't screw with the original story too much, and make sure to include the character's powers, I think I'll be pretty pleased with this series.
lon3vvolf
n00b Smasher

Post by lon3vvolf »

Hey dos.azn you should like it now, they changed baraka to his original story, not some reject plastic surgeon. But now there are people bitching he should be a twisted doctor... cant we just be happy? :(

Kitana & Milenna & Baraka & Sindel & Shao Khan
dialdfordesi

Post by dialdfordesi »

Oh boy...fickle fans.
[spoiler]When I saw Liu Kang stop time, I knew they were not going for that realistic reboot[/spoiler]
Trust me, I'm a doctor!
Aluja
Mastered PM

Post by Aluja »

Where did you see that? I haven't seen that...
dialdfordesi

Post by dialdfordesi »

Aluja wrote:Where did you see that? I haven't seen that...
[spoiler]I'm assuming the Asian dude in ep 3 is Liu Kang. It's right after Johnny Cage beats up his agent and time stops right when the agent calls Cage a motherfucker[/spoiler]
Trust me, I'm a doctor!
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

I'm thinking that was probably Shang Tsung.
Aluja
Mastered PM

Post by Aluja »

Yeah heh, that's supposedly Shang Tsung.

And Shao Khan is not Shao Khan...
dos.azn
the_Gook_of_EG

Post by dos.azn »

lon3vvolf wrote:But now there are people bitching he should be a twisted doctor...
Kitana & Milenna & Baraka & Sindel & Shao Khan
What the hell, a twisted doctor? Lol, yeh I guess you can't please everybody.