Magic the Gathering

Way off-topic, and allowed! General discussions on anything and everything.

Moderator: EG Members

Starnum
Elven King

Magic the Gathering

Post by Starnum »

So I've started playing this again here recently. I've even corrupted poor Tsubaimomo and got him playing it as well. I decided to make this thread for two reasons. One, so that we can talk about Magic in general. So, who else here plays? Secondly, my friends and I have decided to make our own decks and try playing with them, and see what we think about that. I of course will be making a Berserk themed deck. It's going to be a sixty card deck, and we've decided to limit ourselves to already existing card effects. We can mix and match effects to make our own cards, but other than any planeswalker cards we might make, we won't be creating any new effects. Still, that gives us a lot of room to work with, and there's some nasty cards out there that we could mimic, if we want. Anyway, I'm looking for ideas for my Berserk deck. So I thought, who better to ask then you guys! So hit me with it. If you can think of a good idea for a Magic card based on Berserk, with a preexisting card effect, I'd love to hear it. Anyway, I was messing around online last night and found this program that lets you make your own cards. So I went ahead and made one real quick. Here it is; check it out!

Now we could argue all day about what a Guts card should or shouldn't be, but this is just something I scratched out in a matter of minutes for fun. If you're wondering why I made him a green card instead of black, it's because he's a 7/7 with trample, and that's really more of a green thing. Anyway, the Guts card I'll be making for my Berserk deck is going to be a planeswalker. So is Griffith. So besides original effects for them as planeswalkers, I've already got Guts and Griffith covered. I still need ideas for everything else. In other Magic related conversation, I'll let you guys know that my main deck is a green monster deck that focuses on trample. It's basically a heavily modified version of the Teeth of the Predator deck. I've added a lot of nasty cards and took a few out to make room. It's also got my favorite planeswalker in it, which I just happened to magically pull from a booster! Here he is.

So if anyone else around here plays, I'd also be interested in hearing about your best decks and cards as well. ;)
Shiva
Mastered PM

Re: Magic The Gathering

Post by Shiva »

Not many people interested? Oh well i'm playing from time to time. Recently mostly drafts or sealeds from Scars of Mirrodin.
And as for Guts creature card there should be something like "Guts, The Black Swordsman attacks each turn if able" and maybe have a vigilance or first strike also? Oh and Legendary Creature instead just Creature (we don't want to have more than one Guts on the battlefield do we?) but since you want to make him a planeswaker ... to hell with that :D But seriously if Griffith can be considered a planeswalker Guts shouldn't since we all knew that currenlty Griffith is above him. But legendary creature with cheaper converted mana cost like 3GG with abilities mentioned above would be acceptable. And on top of that you could make for him Legendary Artifact — Equipment Berserker Armor with indestructibility or cheap regenerate like "If you control a forest regenerate equiped creature" :lol: and another Legendary Artifact — Equipment Dragonslayer which gives deathtouch and protection from black and white (just in case if Griffith would be white walker and Femto black though it never have that kind of qualities)?
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

If a guy like Garruk can be a planeswalker, I see no reason Guts can't be as well. Just imagine it's an alternate universe where Guts has The Spark. Besides, it's just for fun and I want both him and Griffith to be planeswalkers. I'm going to give Guts an ability similar to Gideon Jura's though, so he'll be able to turn into a creature and attack. I'm also gonna make the Berserk Armor as an artifact equipment which makes the equipped creature indestructible, gives them +5+0, and "must attack each round if able". So yeah, I'm thinking along the same lines as what you mentioned. I'm gonna make the Dragon Slayer an artifact equipment as well. I'll post a few of the cards on here when I'm done if anyone's interested in seeing them. I'm making one called Ganishka, The Destroyer who is similar to some of the Eldrazi. I'm thinking it's gonna be a black/white deck with the good guys being white and the bad guys being black. Only Guts is black and Griffith is white, of course. Casca will probably be something like a 3/3 with first strike and vigilance. It'll be Band of the Hawk Casca of course. Also i would've made that mock card of Guts a legendary creature but the card creator didn't provide that option. I DL'ed a better program that allows you to make cards in any of the styles available in current standard though, so there's going to be a lot of legendaries in my deck, heh. Thanks for posting Shiva, I'm glad someone was interested. Let me know if you have any more ideas for the Berserk deck. ;)
Shiva
Mastered PM

Post by Shiva »

Yeah Gideon's card get to me later that night but if Guts gonna be black then mechanic typical for white like "prevent damage" won't be an option unless you want to make your own standards :D . And as for whole deck(s) it will be hard to balance their powers if you want to make some apostles and ordinary humans like Judeau and others unless you really want to make one deck with mixed eras and factions?

And as for other cards maybe some legendary lands with decent abilities ?

And stop taking Garruk lightly 8) he's great asset in current decks infect oriented at least in domestic matches :lol:

Oh and no problem though it's shame that no one else replies to this.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Oh, I'm not taking Garruk lightly at all. As I said before, he's my favorite planeswalker. I just meant that he's a brutish berserker type guy, like Guts. So no reason Guts can't be a planeswalker in a custom game, just for fun. I hadn't really planned on giving Guts any damage prevention powers. As a planeswalker, I'm probably gonna give him that Gideon type ability so he can become a creature and attack, a trample ability similar to Garruk's, and I'm not sure what to do for his positive loyalty counter ability yet. I worked on the deck some more last night and came up with some good stuff. I look forward to finishing all the cards and I'll show you the best ones on here. It might be a little tricky to balance the deck but I think I can manage. We'll see how it goes. Yeah I was thinking about doing some special land types as well, such as Tower of Rebirth and what-not. :)
Mail
Mastered PM

Post by Mail »

Looking forward to seeing your cards. Sorry I won't be much help in the discussion, I barely dabbled in Magic so I only know the core concepts if those. Cool idea though :D
Shiva
Mastered PM

Post by Shiva »

Honestly that kinda sucks. Before Lorwyn block there was no actual planeswalker card type instead all planeswalkers mentioned in books appears on a cards as a Legendary Creatures with simillar abilities for instance Jaya Ballard.That creature has 3 abilities just like walkers right now which were a toned mix of currently played Chandras. So you could ask what's the differences? First you can attack with "old" walker, second they can be easily killed/destroyed by Doom Blade or any good projectile. In other words you want to make Guts planeswalker vulnerable to these kind of spells and abilities without given him any natural shield simillar to Jura's. I hope you understand all of this and sorry for my english again 8) Oh and try to make flavour font bigger especially when you have so much space on a card just like on Guts. Actually trample is also to small.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

What sucks? Guts not having protection? Well maybe so, but I'm gonna make lots of cards that pull him from both the library and the graveyard and put him into play. So even if he dies I can bring him back. For example I'm gonna do a sorcery called "Forces, The War Anthem": Search your library and graveyard for "Guts, The Black Swordsman" and put him onto the battlefield. I'll probably have 4 of those, and some other cards that let me do the same thing. I came up with some even more nasty effects for cards last night. Looking forward to actually making the cards and showing you guys. So far I've only made notes, but I'm gonna start making them tonight. Also decided to forgo the "trample" ability for Guts in light of just making all creatures unblockable until end of turn! Heh, that'll probably be his ultimate ability. Thanks for the post Mail, glad to see someone else is interested. :)

Edit: Oh, I see that Gideon's ultimate ability makes him immune to damage while he's a creature. I hadn't looked at the card in a while. So yeah, Guts will be the same way. I'm basically copying that ability, only I'm gonna make Guts a 7/7 when he becomes a creature, instead of a 6/6. ;)
Shiva
Mastered PM

Post by Shiva »

Whoa it seems that some misunderstanding gets between us but anyway. I think that right now the most importent thing is to clarify what conception you have. I mean if want to make cards with accordance to traditional card attributs like countering spells is blue style or preventing damage is white/green style. It's significant if you want make it that way or by your own? Without knowing that i can't suggest anything.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Oh, I see. Well I want to try to keep it traditional, but honestly I might have to stretch it a bit. :?

I don't want to have to do more than two colors, so some of them may not be a perfect match for the color they'll be, but I'm doing my best. Feel free to make any suggestions. It's a white/black deck. Good guys being white and baddies are black. Only Guts is black and Griffith white, of course. I've already made some cards, so I'll post a few pics in a spoiler tag later. ;)
Shiva
Mastered PM

Post by Shiva »

Sorry for not paying much attention to this topic recenlty. Not that i don't want to give you any ideas. I just have some things to do on short notice. Anyway .... So do you have anything to show already?
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Oh, no worries. I've been distracted a lot here lately myself. I went to my first tournament last week, and going to another one tomorrow. I got trashed last week, but it was a learning experience. It was a standard tournament, but this week is a booster draft. So I should have a better shot at actually winning some games. I haven't been working on my deck much here recently, but here's a few cards I've made so far.

[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Some new cards.

[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]
I need suggestions. Is there anything in Berserk that you think should definitely be included in this custom deck, characters, places, things, specific abilities or events, etc. Here's a list of what I've already got planned. The one's with # next to them are the ones in which I've already created a card for.

[spoiler]Lands
#Plains
#Swamps
#Tower of Rebirth
#Tower of Conviction
#Qliphoth
#Falconia
#Vritannis
#Abyss
#Wyndham

Enchantments
#Fantasia
#The Brand of Sacrifice
#Slann’s Seduction

Instants
#Void’s Manipulation
#Conrad’s Plague

Sorceries
#Forces, The War Anthem
#Look of the Hawk
#Maelstrom of Souls
#Ubik’s Illusion

Artifacts
#Reincarnator
#Berserker Armor
#Dragon Slayer
#Cannon Arm
#Silfe's Cloak
#Behelit
Sword of Resonance
Salamander's Dagger

Creatures
#Idea of Evil

Planeswalkers:
#Guts, The Black Swordsman
#Griffith, The Hawk of Light

Heroes:
#Casca
Serpico
Schierke
Puck
Isidro
Farnese
Skull Knight
Judeau
Corkus
Pippin
Rickert

Apostles:
#Ganishka, The Destroyer
Zodd, The Immortal
Locus, The Moonlight Knight
Irvine
Grunbeld
Rakshas
Mozgus, the False Prophet
Roshinu
Wyald[/spoiler]
newbified
n00b Smasher

Post by newbified »

So is anyone interested in MTG: Tactics?

http://www.magicthegatheringtactics.com/playnow/
Steeples scrape the sky, Praising God.
Everything here exists for God, is sacrificed to God.
For those who have nothing to sacrifice,
It can be a very heartless city indeed.
Starnum
Elven King

Re: Magic the Gathering

Post by Starnum »

INNISTRAD!!

Oh yeah, I finished the Berserk custom deck. Actually we made a dual deck set, Guts vs Griffith. Thanks to Tsubaimomo for his help with the cards. If anyone wants to see any of the cards, let me know.
Devil_Dante
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Devil_Dante »

Ive played some magic online on an app called "cockatrice". It allows you to build decks with all existing magic cards, and of course its free. If you plan on playing on cockatrice, I suggest to read the manual a few times to learn the hotkeys/rules before starting/joining some game.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Yeah, it's pretty cool. I've been playing on it for a few weeks now. It's good for practice. I pulled my Garruk Relentless tonight. Pretty stoked about that. :)