Movies of 2010.

Way off-topic, and allowed! General discussions on anything and everything.

Moderator: EG Members

Femto
Devourer of Children

Re: Movies of 2010.

Post by Femto »

Hugo Weaving should've been Sinestro but Red Skull is not bad, I guess.

EDIT:

I've posted this everywhere I can think of so here goes.

http://www.mtv.com/movies/news/articles ... tory.jhtml

Alien prequel. Ridley Scott. H.R. Giger. Space Jockey.

Excited?

Because I'm fucking peeing my pants in anticipation.
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

Clash of Titans was the worst fucking movie I have seen in the last decade. Period.

Bad writing, check.
Bad actors, check.
Bad CGI, check.
Bad 3D effect, check.
Bad ending, check (lol 85 minutes movie)
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

I am told that if you just hit the "Mute" button before the movie starts, and then proceed to puncture your eardrums with the best metal available to you at the time, it's actually a really good experience. Cathartic even.

Kickass doesn't live up to it's name. It started really good, but the fights got progressively stupider as the movie went on, stretching the audience's willing suspension of disbelief like a horse stretches a pervert's 010100. The final fight was just ridiculous.
I'm not asking for realism, just consistency. If a single gunshot send you flying down like a ragdoll, then a dozen of them should do worse, right?

When the ridiculousness of a scene surpasses it's awesomeness, you know there's something wrong, and the final fight felt very, very wrong to me.
One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings.
~Diogenes of Sinope
papasith
Augh! Bright sky fire burn eyes!

Post by papasith »

kickass was entertaining, i wasn't going into it expecting a masterpiece though. just an interesting take on the story (i knew what to expect because i read some of the comic)

my main complaint is it seemed bad story telling to me to let us know who red mist was so early
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

papasith wrote:kickass was entertaining, i wasn't going into it expecting a masterpiece though. just an interesting take on the story (i knew what to expect because i read some of the comic)

my main complaint is it seemed bad story telling to me to let us know who red mist was so early
Bad story when you suddenly stop caring about the main character and wanna hear more from the secondary characters. Hit Girl and Big Daddy pretty much steal the movie half way through. I actually liked that, they're more interesting than Kick Ass.
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.
-Sir Francis Bacon, Of Atheism <---Did I make this my sig? This shits gay as fuck.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Quality reviews.

DrPepperPro
Dirty Sennin

Post by DrPepperPro »

Ya that guy's hilarious. Loved his Star Trek and Avatar ones too.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Kick-Ass was pretty fucking awesome.

I didn't know what to expect and was treated to really fun, enjoyable movie.

PS: Whoever uses the words "kick" and "ass" to describe this movie will get a swift kick in the nuts.
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

Just watched Iron man 2.
As always, the character of Tony Stark made sweet, sweet love to my funny bone, and managed to both entertain me and make me worry about him. The music, if a little unoriginal, was fucking awesome, and the fights were pretty cool.
Apart from that, it was mediocre at best. The plot was boring, predictable and lacked intensity.
[spoiler]Besides, am I supposed to not hate a bastard who sends his partner to the soviet union, a country not precisely famous for how well it treats defectors?
Let me get this straight: you had a difference in terms of how you envisioned the future of your company, so you have him (and his family) completely erased from the face of the earth? And you're a good guy? Not buying it.
And the change of attitude of the government was completely retarded, after a display of destructive power like the one from the final battle no sane president would let a single individual walk around with that kinda technology. Stark was a liability, any government with half a brain wold have him assassinated (and probably blame some foreign enemy or a lone nut) and confiscate the technology.[/spoiler]
~Diogenes of Sinope
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

I watched it last week and I thought it was very entertaining. I left the cinema satisfied.

Yes, there are some issues with the plot; and it wasn't as good as the first one. But as an action movie, it was really enjoyable.

And what's with adults bringing kids to a movie like this? Before, it was the Dark Knight, which had kids screaming, and now this? Come on, parents, what the hell.

However...

[spoiler]If I was a father and wanted to leave my son a message, I would go to all sorts of lengths to build a giant model instead of writing it on a piece of paper and keeping that safe.

Making a new element altogether is retarded. But it's a comic book movie, so I rolled with that. Yeah, Howard Stark is a complete arsehole. It didn't seem uncharacteristic of him to send someone he disliked to have the worse of their fates.

As for why the government didn't have him assassinated? Couple of reasons. One, I don't care about that as a plot point as an audience member watching the movie. I don't want a shitload of political overtones and whatnot crammed into an action movie. Second, Whiplash tried and failed. Third, he's a popular celebrity, having him killed is a bit suss. Lastly, he's fucking Iron Man.[/spoiler]

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

I'll wait until there aren't 5 million people trying to watch Iron Man 2 before I see it.
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

I didnt care for whiplash as a villain so much.

He seemed not really that big of a threat to iron man. The most he made him do was take a knee.

Also who uses fucking whips. Ur in a robot suit. get urself a big gun.
A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.
-Sir Francis Bacon, Of Atheism <---Did I make this my sig? This shits gay as fuck.
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

Femto wrote:Kick-Ass was pretty fucking awesome.

I didn't know what to expect and was treated to really fun, enjoyable movie.

PS: Whoever uses the words "kick" and "ass" to describe this movie will get a swift kick in the nuts.
Spoilers, beware!

I thought it had a really promising start, had a style akin to superbad (which I found very funny) and hooked me. Big Daddy and Hit Girl were awesome.

But then the break happened.

Kickass gets a girlfriend. And then he realizes that's why there are no reallife superheroes - because people have something to live for, just as he does now - his girl. By his standard, only people with nothing to lose can be superheroes.
Now that alone is really anvilicous.

But then you realize it: That other dude, who kicks way more ass than kickass, and his daughter are superheroes in this very movie. Yet the main character trys to tell us - the viewers - that you can only become a superhero if you have nothing to live for. Like you first girlfriend, hurp di durp. But oh no, if you have a daughter (which is a pretty stronger reason to live than a measly teen girlfriend that can change next week), it's totally cool to be a superhero.

That's a broken Aesop right there. But according to the filmmakers its cool, because [spoiler]Big Daddy dies in the end[/spoiler].

--

I found the first half of the movie to be very funny, and a nice take on reallife superheroes. But the second half was way to anvilicous and tried to hammer the filmmakers morals into us left and right. Oh, and endgame was very clichê too.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

To be honest, I pretty much flat out ignored the girlfriend subplot.
Messatsu
This is my new home

Post by Messatsu »

Went to see iron man 2 last week. I found it pretty entertaining. Its still mostly about Tony stark and less him in the iron man suit and the movie sort of stops to a crawl at the midway point, but when it pick ups it gets interesting again. It was pretty cool seeing all those references, found them funny. The villain i felt was a real legitimate threat to Tony, despite not getting a longer boss fight than he did.

Also: "i vant my burd"

If you want a good time at the movies id recommend this movie.

Also about kickass: The comic by Mark Millar isn't any better, its hard to feel sympathy for its protagonists as they all mostly display a sort of selfishness that goes beyond any given situational excuse. And then there's hit-girl... i don't get why people find this their favorite character... i mean the girl was pretty much raised as a sociopath, she feels nothing... just when her dad gets killed but she remedies that with come cocaine and some more killing. I get that shes basically the 90's incarnate, she represents the violent anti-heroes that where popular back then but also the growing popularity of manga during that time, by her being a kid that can kill off grown men, using katanas, with no problem. But her character is just so shallow and unsympathetic, she trumps all other with how much she just breaks the comic.

okay rant over.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Watched Iron Man 2 just now.

The whole movie is just a giant set-up for a 20 minute fight scene at the end.

It was OK but not better than the first one.

Also, give me fucking Terrence Howard back, assholes!
Tempest
Dirty Sennin

Post by Tempest »

Femto wrote:Watched Iron Man 2 just now.

The whole movie is just a giant set-up for a 20 minute fight scene at the end.

It was OK but not better than the first one.
THANK YOU GOD, some one who shares my sentiment for this film. The people I talk to either love it or hate it, and seem baffled that I just thought it was decent.
Femto wrote:Also, give me fucking Terrence Howard back, assholes!
A Don Cheadle is fine too.
ImageImage
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

http://vimeo.com/12171865

Excited much?

I've never read the comic but this looks pretty cool.
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

Well, the comic is kinda funny, but only moderately. Above meh! but below WOW!
Not sure the style would translate well into movie format though. One of the fun things about Scott Pilgrim was how well it blended elements from Manga and Comics (something a friend of mine dubbed "Conga"), and how bizarre (yet somehow normal) the setting was. Not the kind of thing movies usually do without turning everything into a steaming pile of goatshit.

Anyone seen Macgrubber yet?
~Diogenes of Sinope
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

No, I haven't seen MacGruber yet, but I want to. I love that skit.

*Read to the tune of the MacGruber theme*

MacGruber, he got his own movie but he took the royalty deal.
MacGruber, but the movie hasn't made enough and he can't pay his bookie.
MacGruber, AND NOW HE'S GONNA GET HIS KNEES BROKEN, MACGRUBER!
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

There's a MacGruber movie? Holy shit, that's gotta be awesome.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Also on the bit about Iron Man 2. I haven't seen it yet, and I like Don Cheadle. He's a great actor. It just always feels weird when they change the casting between movies tho. Why didn't they just use Terrence Howard again, I wonder.
Tempest
Dirty Sennin

Post by Tempest »

Starnum wrote: Why didn't they just use Terrence Howard again, I wonder.

Allegedly he was asking for a ridiculous sum of money to do it. I guess he was actually the highest paid actor in Iron Man 1, and wanted a raise for the sequel. The producers said "Wait a minute, we're paying the sidekick (for lack of a better term) HOW much?". They wanted to renegotiate but Howard was adamant.
ImageImage
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Well that's pretty lame, if it's true. Clearly Robert Downey Jr. should be the one getting paid the most. Hell I'd even pay Gwen Paltrow more, because she's a damn fine woman, and no offense to Terrence but as far as I know she's also more of an A list name. :P