Movies of 2010.

Way off-topic, and allowed! General discussions on anything and everything.

Moderator: EG Members

Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Re: Movies of 2010.

Post by Buzkashi »

I thought pandora was a moon itself...
A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.
-Sir Francis Bacon, Of Atheism <---Did I make this my sig? This shits gay as fuck.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Damn, you're right. I guess they meant on one of the other moons or something.

...or maybe both sequels will be on Pandora. I know that Cameron is definitely planning two more movies, but I heard the bit about one of them "possibly" being on another moon from a friend, so we'll see.
erikost
imanewbie

Post by erikost »

I heard that if Cameron will make a sequel, which he most likely will, it's going to focus on Jake and Neytiri (spelling?), which is awesome 8)
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

erikost wrote:I heard that if Cameron will make a sequel, which he most likely will, it's going to focus on Jake and Neytiri (spelling?), which is awesome 8)
Yep, I have read the same. XD
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

Just came back from watching "Sherlock Holmes".
It was astoundingly mediocre, which, by my standards, makes it a bad movie.
You see, nowadays it is really hard to stumble upon a really bad movie, since they spend insane amounts of money and talent into making them.
Thus, even the worst possible scripts are turned into really well made movies, which makes them passable, but rarely good.

In regards to Sherlock Holmes (that's the right use for regards, right?), I particularly liked the "this way up scene", but found pretty much everything else boring, and kinda stupid.
Even the guy from "Kiss Kiss Bang Bang" couldn't make this movie good.
This is what happens when you turn a series of mystery novels into an action movie.
One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings.
~Diogenes of Sinope
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

It's an enjoyable movie, but the 'plot' and the 'mystery' (I use these terms loosely) was way to ludicrious to fully enjoy.

For a movie about a detective, there were really little deducing and detecting involved in the story.

As for the Avatar movie, I do want to explore new worlds made by James Cameron, rather than revisiting the one we've seen before. This is because the first movie really 'wowed' us, and if we are taken back to the world again, it loses it's appeal. It's much like seeing 'bullet time' the second time in the Matrix series.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
erikost
imanewbie

Post by erikost »

I have to admit that the visuals were beautiful, but to be honest i actually liked the story even more and I don't care if that makes me a crazy fanboi ^^. Which btw I'm not ^.-
I'd much rather watch a new adventure with Jake and Neytiri with new animals, landscapes and people than to watch a whole new story build up. Then again it all depends on the script whether it's kickass or not.
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

Okay, this forum should so just be renamed into an Avatar forum, because we've only been in January for a couple weeks and Avatar didn't even come out in 2010.

I so remember the 2009 forum beginning last year, but 2008 didn't have anything like Avatar happening.

What is it with James Cameron? He has the golden touch or something.
Audentis Fortuna Juvet - Virgil
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

Rolos wrote:I want those giant smurfs (smurves?) slaughtered. By thousands. With chainsaw-machine guns.
Once they embrace technology and/or basic tactical thinking to defend themselves, instead of relying in fucking mother nature, I'll cheer for them.

Goddamn hippies.
Navi = Tau/Kroot mix?
Humans = Imperium?

Warhammer 40. The movie. It would be awesome.

P.S. I found Damnatus, fanmade 40k movie, really cool. Especially because they didn't make money with it.
Tempest
Dirty Sennin

Post by Tempest »

Aetherfukz wrote:
Rolos wrote:I want those giant smurfs (smurves?) slaughtered. By thousands. With chainsaw-machine guns.
Once they embrace technology and/or basic tactical thinking to defend themselves, instead of relying in fucking mother nature, I'll cheer for them.

Goddamn hippies.
Navi = Tau/Kroot mix?
Humans = Imperium?

Warhammer 40. The movie. It would be awesome.

P.S. I found Damnatus, fanmade 40k movie, really cool. Especially because they didn't make money with it.
No,

Nav'i = Native Americans
Humans = The U.S. Goverment

I saw Avatar, I thought it was pretty good. I don't get what all the hype was about. I mean, yes the visuals were amazing, but the story was pretty uninteresting and cliched.

"I will make war upon these ignorant savages"
"I am now stuck with these savages for some reason"
"These savages have customs that I find weird but strangely appealing."
"Man, that savage chick is looking pretty good."
"They're not savages, they're just in tune with nature, and it's beautiful!"
"I finally see the folly of my ways. WHAT HAS SCIENCE DONE?!?"

It was like one big after-school special for multiculturalism.
ImageImage
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

Tempest wrote: No,

Nav'i = Native Americans
Humans = The U.S. Goverment
or ..

Navi' = Palestinians
Humans= State of Israel

or..

Navi' = Africa
Humans = Europeans

You can really use any case of oppressor and oppressed. Thats pretty much the main message of the movie.
A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.
-Sir Francis Bacon, Of Atheism <---Did I make this my sig? This shits gay as fuck.
Loeviz
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Loeviz »

Anyone seen Daybreakers yet?
I´ve read some reviews and it seems it´s not superawesome but then again Dafoe never does any crappy movies so I think I´ll enjoy it :)

\"No Sane man will dance.\"
-- Marcus Tullius Cicero (106-43 BC)
Devil_Dante
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Devil_Dante »

I watched "the road". Pretty good movie 7.5/10
pros: creepy moments, good acting imo, crazy cannibals
cons: vague, kid started to irritate me
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Loeviz wrote:Anyone seen Daybreakers yet?
I´ve read some reviews and it seems it´s not superawesome but then again Dafoe never does any crappy movies so I think I´ll enjoy it :)
Terrible movie.

I saw it in the theaters a few days ago, unfortunately.

Fell asleep a couple times.

The movie has no resolution whatsoever.
Tempest wrote:I saw Avatar, I thought it was pretty good. I don't get what all the hype was about. I mean, yes the visuals were amazing, but the story was pretty uninteresting and cliched.
You have to look at the big picture.

Sure, it's cliche to you but to a ten year old that hasn't seen as many movies as you or I have it'll be amazing.

It's a timeless story retold for a new generation.
Tempest
Dirty Sennin

Post by Tempest »

Femto wrote:You have to look at the big picture.

Sure, it's cliche to you but to a ten year old that hasn't seen as many movies as you or I have it'll be amazing.
I get what you're saying, but at what point does it stop being "a re-telling of a classic concept" and become "lazy and unimaginative"

All I'm saying is that for being now the highest grossing movie EVER, I'm underwhelmed. I mean, I could see Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, Jurassic Park, even Harry Potter or Titanic multiple times, but you could not get me to see Avatar again. I'd get up after seeing that bioluminesent forest part and go leave to sneak into Daybreakers. :wink:
ImageImage
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Tempest wrote:I could see ... even Harry Potter or Titanic multiple times, but you could not get me to see Avatar again.
This conversation has ended.

Seriously though, lazy?

James Cameron has been working on it for well over a decade (tangentially perhaps but still) and you can't accuse the film of being lazy when the world is so fully realized.

And unimaginative?

In general plot maybe but the world of Pandora is the definition of imaginative.

I understand where you're coming from, I really do, but Avatar is truly a great film and you can't deny that.
Tempest
Dirty Sennin

Post by Tempest »

I am totally willing to agree that the world and the back story of Pandora/ The Na'vi is very imaginative and thoughtful, which is maybe WHY I have a negative reaction to the overall plot. I got like an hour and a half in and I was like "I've seen Dances With Wolves, I've seen The Last Samurai, I've seen this story and I know how it ends, give me a new and interesting story to go with this new and interesting setting."
ImageImage
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

Real talk man. Ive seen avatar 3 times in theaters. Sadly never in imax. But i must say no movie in my entire life has ever enticed me enough to want to see it a second, let alone a 3rd time.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Up and District 9 nominated for Best Picture.

Fuck yeah.
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

Just saw Daybreakers. The movie has an interesting premise, but a very screwed up progression. It's like all the elements for a good story are there, but they were employed very badly. It feels like an amateur filmmaker's first big project or something.
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

Finally watched Avatar on the big screen last night. And it was more awesome than I expected from all the reviews and opinions I've read/heared about it.

I thought the movie and story itself was pretty epic and awesome. And because someone pointed out the relevance of USA vs Vietcong, USA vs Terror, Israel vs Palestina, EU vs African, and some such: I think it speaks for itself that the story of the movie can be related to such reallife conflicts, and to such a wide array of them. Tolkien said it best once:” ‘I cordially dislike allegory in all its manifestations…I much prefer history, true or feigned, with its varied applicability to the thought and experience of readers. I think that many confuse ‘applicability’ with ‘allegory’; but the one resides in the freedom of the reader, and the other in the purposed domination of the author.’ ”

I think this is very much true for avatar. The grand story itself may have been told a hundred times by now, but there are only so many basic stories you can tell. And it had its own unique twist, and a lot of applicability.

Overall, 2 thumbs up. Oh and I never thought the 3D cinema effect would be so huge. I only know the 3D stuff from documentaries in the 90s TV where you had cheap green-red glasses and the effect wasn't very much noticable.

But in the cinema, damn. Even Alice in Wonderland with Johnny Depp looks like an awesome movie in the 3D trailer (though that could very much be because it's a movie with Johnny Depp :D). And Avatar, whoa it really flashed. In one of the last scenes where the camera pans through a horde of navi chanting, for a split second by brain wasn't sure if it was a person in the movie holding their hands up into the air, or if the person in the cinema seat in front of me just put their hands up. And it was sweet.

On a sidenote I think the 3D stuff is the last straw that cinemas now hold onto, with Bluray and home cinema on the forefront for years now. And I have to admin, it really is a sweet incentive to watch a movie on the big screen again.
Finito
I live in a giant bucket.

Post by Finito »

Legion was complete crap, entirely shitty and comparable to a turd.

Book of Eli was ok, but I wouldnt watch it a second time, a little empty and gets a little boring at the end.

From Paris with Love had some pretty good action, the trailer I saw made it look like a comedy action, but it was more action based. The plot was lacking in my opinion, but its still an enjoyable movie.
Loeviz
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Loeviz »

The Wolfman: This was a good movie, I can recommend it.
Was just some small bits here and there that could´ve been done better but not so it was disturbing. Sadly enough I didnt jump in my seat but the girl I was there with jumped plenty of times to cover my share of it :P
At times I almost thought Tim Burton had directed the movie cause it resembled Sleepy Hollow

\"No Sane man will dance.\"
-- Marcus Tullius Cicero (106-43 BC)
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Chris Evans is Captain America?

Oh, god.
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

Hugo Weaving is Red Skull..