Movies of 2010.

Way off-topic, and allowed! General discussions on anything and everything.

Moderator: EG Members

Femto
Devourer of Children

Movies of 2010.

Post by Femto »

Let's do this.

Iron Man 2 and stuff.

What's else is coming out this year?
newbified
n00b Smasher

Re: Movies of 2010.

Post by newbified »

Looking forward to How To Train Your Dragon.
Steeples scrape the sky, Praising God.
Everything here exists for God, is sacrificed to God.
For those who have nothing to sacrifice,
It can be a very heartless city indeed.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

I wonder if...

"The Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time"
and
"The Last Air Bender"

...are going to be any good. I like Prince of Persia, and I don't have anything against Jake Gyllenhaal, but shouldn't they have gotten, Oh, I don't know, a Persian, to play the prince? That's Hollywood for you though...
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

The thing is about Persia 3000 years ago when the story is based was a huge empire that contained many different kinds of people with different ethnicities. Plus Jake Gyllenhal looks like the character from the video game, who in fact had blue eyes and brown hair. Today's Persia only contains Iran, which is pretty small compared to the empire that it once was. Anyways, in the movie he's not even the Prince of Persia, he's some street rat the king adopted, so he could be from anywhere.

I wouldn't worry too much about Airbender, it probably won't suck. It's already childish and Americanized.

Other movies I'm looking forward to are Robin Hood and Clash of the Titans.
Audentis Fortuna Juvet - Virgil
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

Well, Gyllenhaal sells, I guess. Rather than casting a relative unknown.

None of the trailers I saw in the movies really caught my eye. Maybe Inception? Except we don't know what it's about, and I guess Nolan wants it that way (or he simply doesn't know what he wants for now). I'll plant my arse on the seat in the threatre, nevertheless.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

I watched Sherlock Holmes last night, and really enjoyed it. I thought it was great.

Yeah, I guess Gyllenhaal does kind of look like the original Prince of Persia, and the empire was a lot more diverse back then.

Seen the previews for this movie "Legion". I'm not sure what it's about exactly, but it looks pretty crazy. "The Book of Eli" looks interesting too.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

I finally saw Avatar.

It's cliche and it's predictable but goddamn, James Cameron knows how to make an exciting fucking film.

Avatar puts every other action film in the last decade to shame.
Ayanami
Dirty Sennin

Post by Ayanami »

I have not seen a movie in theaters in a long, long time. Want to see Avatar though, I have only heard good things.
Femto
Devourer of Children

PLUG!

Post by Femto »

Well over a decade in the making, Avatar is James Cameron’s first feature film since Titanic back in 1997. In my mind, Cameron’s Terminator 2 is the best action movie ever made so this movie had some pretty big shoes to fill. I tried to stay away from details of the movie for as long as I could but some things are inevitably bound to slip by and what I heard about Avatar was a little mixed to say the least. “Dances with Smurfs” and “Star Wars for a new generation” sit at opposite ends of the spectrum in this regard.

I saw Avatar last night and below are my thoughts on it.

Before I sing praises to James Cameron’s filmmaking, let’s get the ugly out of the way: Avatar is predictable and cliché. The story of a person from one culture sent to investigate another and ultimately falling for the customs of the latter and fighting against the former has been told many, many times before and Avatar does little to mix things up. It’s also for this very reason that the movie becomes predictable because you know what’s going to happen to the story and its characters. This is not a story that’s going to surprise you with its simple plot twists and cookie cutter characters.

Nonetheless (and this is where I start gushing), an old story can feel new if told in an interesting way and this is absolutely true for Avatar. The fantasy world of Pandora is fully realized and nothing short of enthralling. The flora and fauna on display here is unique amongst films and the way this contrasts with the more mechanical science fiction elements in the movie is but one of the many ways in which this film succeeds visually. The much lauded 3D effects take only a few minutes to completely get used to and gives this movie an almost tactile element that adds a lot to the experience. It’s a successful feature because it’s distracting only in the rarest of occasions. The motion-capture performances can be extremely subtle at times and the CGI in general is of great quality and raise the bar relative to what’s been done before.

Of course, all this would amount to little but talking pretty blue giants without James Cameron’s masterful direction. Sure, the story is predictable but Cameron stacks the odds against our heroes so high that you can’t help but be constantly at the edge of your seat and the final conflict is so massive, so epic and so masterfully shot that that it puts just about every other action movie I’ve seen in the last ten years to complete shame. James Cameron is an absolute master of his craft and his ability to generate this tremendous excitement in his films is unparalleled. His twelve or so years away from feature films have done nothing to dent this man’s talent and I’m truly thrilled that he’s back in the director’s seat.

So yeah, go out and see this movie. It’s a story you’ve already seen but you’ve never seen it like this before, I assure you. I wouldn’t throw the phrase “visual tour de force” around haphazardly but this film more than any other I’ve seen in recent memory deserves that moniker. There are some clear allegories in the film regarding contemporary issues and, indeed, some larger issues with humanity as a whole but this sits comfortably in the background of the film and is never knocked over your head. I can’t get myself to call this James Cameron’s greatest work only because of the lackluster story but Avatar is still as amazing as any other movie he’s made.

This is why I go to the movies.

http://www.sebastianvonbuchwald.com/201 ... ar-review/
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Yeah, when I went to the movies the other night it was actually to see Avatar in 3D, but they were sold out. We saw Sherlock Holmes instead, and it was a great movie, IMO. I was a little disappointed that we didn't get to see Avatar in 3D though. I still haven't seen this new 3D everyone is talking about, and I hear the CGI in Avatar is amazing, so I was really looking forward to it. I'm gonna try to see it again this weekend though, if I can.
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

That good, huh? I should check it out then. I haven't heard a single bad thing about that movie.
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
DarkenRahlX
Crusher of Dreams

Post by DarkenRahlX »

I hope Clash of the Titans turns out pretty good.
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

Clash of the Titans does look good, but be careful not to mix it up with Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief, both have to do with Greek Mythos and the Gods of Olympus. Though, both have good lead actors, the latter is for teens.

I just saw Leap Year. A romcom in Ireland, what can I say? :sweat:
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

John Malkovich as the Vulture?

That's some inspired casting.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... e&id=24364

EDIT: Nevermind.

Spider-Man 4 was been outright canceled.

The film franchise is going to relaunch with a young Peter Parker in high school.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... e&id=24376
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

Thank God, Peter Parker is only interesting as a teenager or when he ousted himself in Civil War.
Loeviz
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Loeviz »

I actually liked the cast of Sam Raimis Spiderman so its a little sad that they will start over from scratch

\"No Sane man will dance.\"
-- Marcus Tullius Cicero (106-43 BC)
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

Out to watch me the free preview of the Book of Eli! I'm excited :)
lon3vvolf
n00b Smasher

Post by lon3vvolf »

Kick-Ass. Comic was interesting concept.

Tekken... lolz?

I'll still watch it though. Can't be worse than the Chun-Li failure.

Lmao... KOF movie:
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Wow, those are some crazy looking trailers.

I went and watched Avatar in 3D last night. It was pretty awesome indeed. I agree with what Femto said, for the most part. The world was amazing, I loved the flora and fauna, and the 3D really helped to immerse you in the world. Of course the CGI was beautiful, best I've seen in a movie yet, and I'm pretty picky about my CG. The plot may have been similar to "Dances With Wolves", but I agree, it was very well done. I'll take Avatar over Dances any day, and I'm a big fan of Dances. Even though I knew what was going to happen, I still really enjoyed watching it all unfold, and there's still plenty of other stuff you won't get from Dances, like this amazing SciFi world. Also, the final battle was awesome. I'll give it to Femto, he knows great action when he sees it. I especially liked the final fight between the main character and the commander of the "sky people". Honestly I wasn't expecting much from this movie when I first heard about it, except for some pretty special effects, but it definitely had a lot more going for it than that, IMO. Also, you gotta watch it in 3D the first time, if you can. It's not about things just jumping off the screen at you, it's about the immersion into the film. It really is a pretty cool experience in my opinion. ;)
Ayanami
Dirty Sennin

Post by Ayanami »

Please, not a Tekken and KOF movie. Those two look like they have a budget of about $10,000 dollars.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

I forgot to mention in my Avatar review that I thought that the villains in the story were pure evil with no redeeming qualities or shades of gray whatsoever which made them uninteresting.

But then I realized that you just have to vilify the bad guys to justify the wholesale slaughter of humans in the final conflict.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Well you don't have to, but it helps. :P

So I heard James Cameron is planning on making a trilogy out of Avatar. That's fine with me, heh. As a joke, when they asked him why he said, "The techology used to make the film is too expensive to only use once." :D
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

I want those giant smurfs (smurves?) slaughtered. By thousands. With chainsaw-machine guns.
Once they embrace technology and/or basic tactical thinking to defend themselves, instead of relying in fucking mother nature, I'll cheer for them.

Goddamn hippies.
One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings.
~Diogenes of Sinope
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Avatar was really derivative but the potential is there to make some awesome sequels with more original plotlines.

So yeah, I'm definitely looking forward to seeing where the franchise goes next.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

One of the sequels is supposed to take place on one of Pandora's moons, so it may not even have the Na'vi in it. I'm looking forward to what that's going to be about. Also, we will be seeing more of the "sky people" of course.