So this is my comic book pitch.

Way off-topic, and allowed! General discussions on anything and everything.

Moderator: EG Members

Femto
Devourer of Children

So this is my comic book pitch.

Post by Femto »

http://www.hellskitchencomic.com/

I've e-mailed this to a few publishers and this weekend I'll be at the Big Apple Con trying to sell this idea.

What do you guys think?
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Re: So this is my comic book pitch.

Post by The Herald »

I enjoy the movement, but I'd have liked to see more pages. Though the idea may be a little more surreal than what publishers are looking for. I like how the one girl, the one with purple hair, has grotesque lips and hair, but her costume is very boring. I almost want to say there's too much going on in the frames, but it is the first few pages, in some ways good to draw the reader in. But in 6 pages I had no feeling of where the story was going. But being able to express movement on a 2D surface is awesome. I really did like that.
Audentis Fortuna Juvet - Virgil
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Yeah, when we (my writer and I) chose which five pages to do for the pitch, I thought it'd be a good idea to go for very first 5.

I later realized that nothing really happens in those first five pages but that's why we threw the script in there, for people to realize that, in spite of the slow start, the issue is pretty eventful.

I've e-mailed this to every publisher that accepts submissions and I'll be heading out this weekend to the Big Apple comic con with a mini comic of this that I'll be handing out to publishers.

I'm feeling pretty confident about this.

I'll let you guys know when my world comes crashing down around me.
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

I'd buy it.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Aetherfukz wrote:I'd buy it.
That's pretty much the perfect compliment for me in this case.

Thanks.

Anyway, the Big Apple Con is over and, even though people seemed to like the comic and I got my name out there, I was absolutely and completely bummed out by the fact that there were only 3, THREE!!! companies there to pitch my comic to. No Image, Oni, Dark Horse, Dynamite, IDW, nothing. Not even Marvel or DC (not that they'd take independent submissions anyway). I was really upset about that.

I did get this awesome imperial ticket by some guy in a Stormtrooper costume though:

I also got a Green Lantern print by Joe Quinones.

I guess I'll be playing the waiting game for a couple weeks until I hear back from any of the three publishers we talked to or from the 5 or so we sent e-mails out to.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Best of luck with your comic dude. I like the cover art, very nice. What did the storm trooper write you up as being in violation of? :P
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

- Unauthorized use of "the force."
- Unauthorized use of trash compactor or detention cell.
- Being part of the Rebel Alliance and a traitor.

I can scan the ticket if you guys want.

There's some funny stuff in there.

Gotta love these comic cons.

And thanks for the good wishes.
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

Being part of the Rebel Alliance and a traitor only gets you a citation? No wonder the Empire didn't stop the Rebel Alliance.

Anyway, your comic looks great Femto, but I have to agree with your own criticism, not much happens in those first few pages. If it wasn't for the description I'd have no idea what to expect from the rest of the comic, so good thinking on that. But maybe another selection of pages would work better.

Seriously, good luck on the comic, you got something worthwhile here.
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Yeah, the first few pages do little in the way of introducing elements of the story but it showcases the style, the quality of the artwork and a presentation that is as professional as we could get it so it's not that bad.

We're thinking about self-publishing this if we don't get picked up, which will probably be hell on earth.

Maybe we're being delusional but we really think we have something in our hands that is worth putting out there.

We'll see.
dialdfordesi
I live in a giant bucket.

Post by dialdfordesi »

The world that your comic takes place in is pretty appealing. It's pretty cool to think that the cars and buildings are alive, and I liked it a lot how the car was actually yelling out the honking. I read the script and it sounds like a good premise and the scenes sound like they'll look pretty neat, especially the flashback one. I really hope that your comic gets published!
Trust me, I'm a doctor!
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

dialdfordesi wrote:The world that your comic takes place in is pretty appealing. It's pretty cool to think that the cars and buildings are alive, and I liked it a lot how the car was actually yelling out the honking. I read the script and it sounds like a good premise and the scenes sound like they'll look pretty neat, especially the flashback one. I really hope that your comic gets published!
Wow.

You're one of the, like, three guys that actually bothered to read the script.

We definitely consider the setting to be a character of its own and we fully plan to exploit this aspect of the story.

I'm glad you liked it.

EDIT: Click here to see a hot video of myself at the comic con. Also, me posing next to a Stormtrooper (who later gave me an Imperial Ticket).

Good times.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

dialdfordesi wrote:The world that your comic takes place in is pretty appealing. It's pretty cool to think that the cars and buildings are alive, and I liked it a lot how the car was actually yelling out the honking. I read the script and it sounds like a good premise and the scenes sound like they'll look pretty neat, especially the flashback one. I really hope that your comic gets published!
That does sound interesting.
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

i don't mean to be rude, because to me this is an appealing idea, but to me it's sorta like "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" with all the objects that are 'alive'. I forsee a lot of comedy in the future of this one.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

The Herald wrote:i don't mean to be rude, because to me this is an appealing idea, but to me it's sorta like "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" with all the objects that are 'alive'. I forsee a lot of comedy in the future of this one.
It's funny because the writer of this project and I are still seeing where the seeds for some of these ideas might have originated from.

The very first page of the comic (and final act later on) as I envision it has a lot of similarities visually to Night on Bald Mountain from Fantasia and I didn't realize this until I watched the movie again recently. The demon hot rod is like an evil take on Speed Buggy (even though I never really watched that show) and yes, we remembered Toon Town from Roger Rabbit recently and the similarities to that as well.

The writer thinks this is a completely new and original idea but I disagree. I believe every story has been made and all that's left are variations. If I were to take my comic apart, I'm sure I could find where every individual element originated from or where it's been done before but when combining these various elements into a whole you'll hopefully get something that's fresh, unique and, more importantly, fun to read.

You can't help but be inspired by stuff you like, even if it is subconsciously.
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

My set design teacher once said: "You take an idea from one source it's plagiarism, but take it from many sources and it's original and interesting." So honestly you're on the right track with this. And if your writer thinks that it's purely original you should say to him that's impossible, there has always been an alamgamation of stories throughout human writing, no doubt about it. Shakespeare wasn't original, and neither was Homer. Honestly though, in our modern sense of originality, it is, so good job :).