Disney acquires Marvel.

Way off-topic, and allowed! General discussions on anything and everything.

Moderator: EG Members

Femto
Devourer of Children

Disney acquires Marvel.

Post by Femto »

Crazy stuff.

Ideally, we'll get an awesome, 2D animated movie with Marvel characters.

We'll probably just see Spider-Man in Disneyland now though.

SIgh.
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Re: Disney acquires Marvel.

Post by Buzkashi »

Or spider-man in kingdom hearts...
A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.
-Sir Francis Bacon, Of Atheism <---Did I make this my sig? This shits gay as fuck.
papasith
Augh! Bright sky fire burn eyes!

Post by papasith »

nah wolverine would be in it, as a playable charcater, with goofy.
Tempest
Dirty Sennin

Post by Tempest »

My question is what happens to all the Marvel rides at Universal Studios in Orlando?
ImageImage
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

damn. same thing is gonna happen like with miramax, disney stepping in and squashing all independence of the other company they own. it's more like we're going to see marvel comics become more g rated to sell to more kids.

there goes the days of the 90s when xmen was cool, i've even seen newer comics where they've 'anime'ed' it, like those crappy tv shows. *shudder*

fuckidy fuckidy fucky fucky fuck fuck ... this ain't gonna end well, i just know it
Audentis Fortuna Juvet - Virgil
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Try reading the 90's X-Men today.

It was fucking terrible.

I don't think Disney is going to dumb down Marvel anymore than Warner dumbs down DC, which it doesn't at all.

Why is everyone so negative towards this?

I think that, if anything, the possibilities are exciting.
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

I think Herald was talking about the X-Men cartoon, and not the comic.

As for whether or not Disney will 'ruin' Marvel, I don't think so. Marvel is leading in terms of comics, and you don't mess with that formula if you've got good business sense. What would happen now is that Marvel has more resources to draw from, and Disney has more property that they can try make money off.

Disney isn't all about being G-rated and selling to kids; their aim is to make money. At the end of it all, Disney is a business. Not everything done by Disney is kiddy stuff, they've done some mature and adult films/projects as well.

The only thing that I would have concern about is cartoons and movies, in terms of choosing the director for films, casting, etc. Otherwise, I doubt that Disney would editorially castrate Marvel in terms of comics. I do think that they're have little to no say in terms of making movies.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
dialdfordesi
I live in a giant bucket.

Post by dialdfordesi »

I think this will be pretty good for both companies, but some part of me can't get Beast singing "The Bear Necessities" out of my head.
The Herald wrote:damn. same thing is gonna happen like with miramax, disney stepping in and squashing all independence of the other company they own. it's more like we're going to see marvel comics become more g rated to sell to more kids.

there goes the days of the 90s when xmen was cool, i've even seen newer comics where they've 'anime'ed' it, like those crappy tv shows. *shudder*

fuckidy fuckidy fucky fucky fuck fuck ... this ain't gonna end well, i just know it
Did you ever watch Gargoyles?
Trust me, I'm a doctor!
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

90's X-Men cartoon?

Pretty terrible.

Gargoyles?

Awesome show.
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

when i said 90s xmen i was talking about age of apocalypse, though that may not be 90s. i thought it was cool. and yes i've seen gargoyles, it's the reason that i love macbeth so much. i guess i'm just worried about it because of the string of shitty sequels they've been making (and now have been put to a stop because a john lasseter, thank god). though, lasseter might think of a cool thing to do with the marvel world, might be a good thing. maybe they'll stop making shitty movies like spiderman 3, xmen 4, and fantastic 4 2. i cried when i saw what they did to the silver surfer.
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

I doubt Disney would want to change the Marvel formula, they'll most likely simply reap the rewards and continue the franchise as normal. At most there could be some crossover in some projects (Spiderman in Disneyland for example), but I doubt they'll want to meddle too much with a working formula.
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

I think Disney acquired Marvel for several reasons. One of them is not because of its comics (in my opinion). Let's be honest, comics are a dying breed. They're not selling as great as they want it to be. What Marvel has with its characters is marketing, merchandising and movie potential. That's probably why Disney got Marvel. Iron Man made a huge, unexpected profit. Sony was so damned happy with this result, that the reported loss was much less if not for that (in my opinion). Imagine if Disney was able to pull off 5 movies like that in a year (not saying that they could, but IF they could. The maths of the studio bosses aren't really that great, to be honest and that's probably how they calculate it).

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

Spiderman 3 was pretty good.

Eldo: I was under the impression that comic book sales have never been higher.
A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.
-Sir Francis Bacon, Of Atheism <---Did I make this my sig? This shits gay as fuck.
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

Buzkashi wrote:Eldo: I was under the impression that comic book sales have never been higher.
It's not a very sustainable market. Comic books have an ageing market. Compared to the sales in the previous decade(s), It's not as profitable as one would seem. That's why DC/Marvel are trying to make ways to boost up the readership, via Wednesday comics and motion comics respectively. Events like comic-con and free comic day try to bring in new readership, and I guess there's an effect from those events. Comic sales currently are probably higher than the early 2000's, so I guess there's some truth in your words, Buzkashi.

However, note that this is all my opinion. I'm not saying that I know anything about business. I'm just basing on things that people have said, and some sales at distributor level from Diamond.

Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

Buzkashi wrote:Spiderman 3 was pretty good.
Indeed. I don't get all the random Spidey 3 hate that seems to be everywhere on the net. Was it the least popular of the 3 movies? Probably. Did it have too much storystrings? Probably. Was it a bad movie though? Hell, no.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Spider-Man 3 was terrible.

Really bad.

And comics are at a high point creatively but, in terms of numbers, we're not selling anywhere near what we used to in the 90's or way back when you could buy comics for 10 cents in newsstands.

On the upside, the trade paperback market is substantially bigger and there this little thing called movies that provides extra income for comic book companies.

I was going to say something else but I forgot.

Fuck you all.
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

Femto wrote:And comics are at a high point creatively but, in terms of numbers, we're not selling anywhere near what we used to in the 90's or way back when you could buy comics for 10 cents in newsstands.
Yeah. Now 100,000 copies is considered a huge success, whereas back then they used to sell a million copies. However, that doesn't put in mind things like economy and stuff. Which to be honest, I don't know how that would affect it that clearly. While comics get the boost with media attention and/or movies (having Invincible Iron Man debut at about the time of the movie was clever) they tend to only last for a few months and then slowly plateau off. It could be the internet that's the blame, or it could be that people's tastes in comics are waning, they've 'matured', there's more sources of entertainment, etc.

As for 90's comics X-Men, I thought as a whole, it was terrible. Age Of Apocalypse was an exception, and I think that was the best thing to come out of 90's. This was, back then, when the art dominated the writing, and writers were hired to write dialogue for whatever the artist drew.

Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

Femto wrote:Spider-Man 3 was terrible.

Really bad.
You are terrible.
Really bad.

Opinions without arguments are useless.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

I've talked about the movie extensively before and don't feel like doing so again.

Feel free to dig that up if you like.

I tried really hard to like it but I couldn't.

It's a bad movie, nowhere near the nigh superhero perfection that is Spider-Man 2.

Massive letdown.
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

Spider-man 3 had loads of Sam raimi goodies.

Call me a fan boy

Femto has loads of buzkashi goodies... In his mouth
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

I agree with Femto on the Spiderman 3, it was total bull. For one, Venom died too early on in the story sequence, therefore not creating Carnage. And Sandman was a dumb villian. Superhero movies are made by their villians, take The Dark Knight: Ledger won the fucking Oscar for a villian. When you watch Batman Forever (as bad as it was, I still like it because it's so colorful) you remember how crazy the Riddler and Two-Face were. Spiderman 2 was kinda boring in my books, but not as bad as 3. I like 1 the best, but I'll always like X-Men better than Spiderman I guess.

And Eldo, I also agree with you on the story being written for the art, but man, that art was pretty. I still like the Age of Apocalypse because it was so fucked up. Like Magneto marrying Rogue, he's like what, at least 30 years older than her.

That's another thing, it's going to be hard to keep these storylines and characters current. Just take Magneto for example, he was a sonderkomando in a concentration camp, which would make him at least 85 in any contemporary story. Though as we all know comic books like to fudge things like that all the time.

I also believe there will always be a market for comic books. Once the world has gotten bored of these movies, and no new material, which I think will happen in less than a decade, they'll be looking for new stuff. Since the 60's comic books, on both sides of the Pacific, have been the way to begin stories that enter mass media.
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

You're crazy. Sandman was a great villian.

Spider-Man 2 was easily the best of the franchise, if not one of the best comicbook/ superhero movies ever.

The x-men movie franchises pale in comparison.

Sin City was the best comic book movie ever.

femto is gay

eldo is a tranny

mune is m.i.a. (menstruating in alleys)
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

Sin City was boring and gave me a headache.

Therefore likes and dislikes are all up to personal interpretation.

I personally never liked Spiderman, I always thought that Parker was a wuss.
papasith
Augh! Bright sky fire burn eyes!

Post by papasith »

parker being a wuss is what made him such a great super hero compared to people like SUPERMAN (man i hated him)
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

so what, emotional wusses are never fun to watch, they're so whiny and pointless, unless they grow as a character, and about all that we see spiderman grow in the movies is that he's able to live on his own and that dumb 'pimp' scene in the 3rd movie. the best character in the 3rd movie was topher grace's. i'd like to see a silver surfer only movie, minus the fantastic four.