Disney acquires Marvel.

Way off-topic, and allowed! General discussions on anything and everything.

Moderator: EG Members

Femto
Devourer of Children

Re: Disney acquires Marvel.

Post by Femto »

The Herald wrote:I agree with Femto on the Spiderman 3, it was total bull. For one, Venom died too early on in the story sequence, therefore not creating Carnage. And Sandman was a dumb villian. Superhero movies are made by their villians, take The Dark Knight: Ledger won the fucking Oscar for a villian. When you watch Batman Forever (as bad as it was, I still like it because it's so colorful) you remember how crazy the Riddler and Two-Face were. Spiderman 2 was kinda boring in my books, but not as bad as 3. I like 1 the best, but I'll always like X-Men better than Spiderman I guess.
This is such a terrible post that I'm not even going to bother with an honest reply.
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

Seriously..

:sweat:
A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.
-Sir Francis Bacon, Of Atheism <---Did I make this my sig? This shits gay as fuck.
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

why? everyone always gives me a hard time for liking batman forever
Audentis Fortuna Juvet - Virgil
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

The Herald wrote:why? everyone always gives me a hard time for liking batman forever
Because it was a really goofy and camp movie. That said, it was bad as well. But if you like it for all the bad things about it, that's fine.

I don't think that was the only thing wrong about your post, though, that Femto was talking about.

As for your 'superhero movies are made by their villains', that's not 100% true. Ledger won the Oscar based on his performance (and I guess to an extent, his death as well) in the Dark Knight. You can't used that as evidence for your comment. People watch movies based on the hero (and reviews). I thought Batman Begins was great, but never liked Ra's Al Ghul or Scarecrow (who only really showed up as a 'supporting' villain and not the main bad guy). Did anybody know who Jebediah Stone was in Iron Man (comics or otherwise)?

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
papasith
Augh! Bright sky fire burn eyes!

Post by papasith »

i think a more accurate way to phrase it is that characters make up a large portion of a succseful super hero movie.

iron man wouldn't be iron man without the eccentric alcoholic tony stark
spiderman would not be spiderman without his angst and life drama

in a sense a villan and superhero are both really important to the story but it is like a partnership. one, or both bring out aspects of the others charcater through hardship ect.
ie: the joker trying to get batman to kill him so that batman's morals will be compromised

then again that is kind of encroaching on how all the charcaters interact and good story writing...but ya...
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

The Herald wrote:Spiderman 2 was kinda boring in my books, [...]
Spiderman 2 is pretty much the pinnacle of awesome comic book movies, and movies in general.

But anyway,
Eldo wrote:
The Herald wrote:why? everyone always gives me a hard time for liking batman forever
Because it was a really goofy and camp movie. That said, it was bad as well. But if you like it for all the bad things about it, that's fine.

I don't think that was the only thing wrong about your post, though, that Femto was talking about.

As for your 'superhero movies are made by their villains', that's not 100% true. Ledger won the Oscar based on his performance (and I guess to an extent, his death as well) in the Dark Knight. You can't used that as evidence for your comment. People watch movies based on the hero (and reviews). I thought Batman Begins was great, but never liked Ra's Al Ghul or Scarecrow (who only really showed up as a 'supporting' villain and not the main bad guy). Did anybody know who Jebediah Stone was in Iron Man (comics or otherwise)?
You gotta admit though, that superhero movies movies stories in general are made by the antagonist. Without him/her there would be no story to tell. Without Sauron, there would be no ring. Without Tyler Durden there would be no Fight Club. Without villains there would be no need for Batman, Spiderman, and all the boys and gals.

It's not so much that you have to like/hate the villain for the story to succeed but it helps immensively if you get whatever emotions for him/her. But for the protagonist, the antagonist has to be on par. As Bruce Willis once said, "your story can only be as intelligent as its villain". If there would have been no back story for Dr. Ock in Spidey 2, and he would have died a monster, and his character wasn't so fleshed out the movie would probably have been pretty bad.

So yeah, while moviegoes surely go to the cinema for the heroes and reviews, the movies itself live and breathe by their villains.

P.S. Jebediah who? To be honest I only watched Ironman once, and found it pretty boring. Dunno why it is hailed as the new milestone in superhero movies. Maybe its because I never was that much into Iron Man himself, but that would be true for Batman too, and I love the (latest, plus the stuff from Tim Burton) movies.
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

i guess it's all in the eye of the beholder, i personally thought the mario movie was funny, but even nintendo makes fun of how bad it is

and no matter what i don't think i'll ever like spiderman 2, but granted, it was better than x2
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

The Herald wrote:i guess it's all in the eye of the beholder, i personally thought the mario movie was funny, but even nintendo makes fun of how bad it is

and no matter what i don't think i'll ever like spiderman 2, but granted, it was better than x2
Did you like Daredevil and Electra too? :P
papasith
Augh! Bright sky fire burn eyes!

Post by papasith »

Aetherfukz wrote: Did you like Daredevil and Electra too? :P
aw they think think they are real movies *snicker*
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

haha, no i didnt, i guess spiderman 2 pissed me off because the romance was so boring, and running through the streets in a wedding dress? cmon

no i did not like daredevil and i haven't even seen electra

iron man was a worthwhile watch, but even that isn't worth it more than once. the incredible hulk was pretty cool too