summer sucks

Way off-topic, and allowed! General discussions on anything and everything.

Moderator: EG Members

Femto
Devourer of Children

Re: summer sucks

Post by Femto »

Buzkashi wrote:The shit i saw i'll never forget... or remember.

wtf happened...
Hahahaha.

This is me at least twice every week.

It was getting out of hand actually so I stopped drinking for a month.

That month is now over and it wasn't anywhere near as painful as I thought it'd be.

I went to parties and everything and not a drink at all.

Or cigarettes.

Or weed.

Or anything but sex.

Take that everyone that can't overcome substance abuse!
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

im pretty sure im going to hell after the last few days.

i hope they serve beer. / tucker max

Its the holy month of ramadan, hopefully i can purify myself in the next month..

i feel dirty.
A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.
-Sir Francis Bacon, Of Atheism <---Did I make this my sig? This shits gay as fuck.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

The only time I feel dirty is when I don't lick Eldo's asshole.
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

oh the fabled holy ass of Eldo :kekeke:

on another note, now that the only thing I have to do is write/ draw my comic book, I need a little motivation. I'm asking you guys to give me some guidlines I must adhere to. I am at your bidding. but first, i think i may do a little berserk fan drawing, just for you guys 8)
Audentis Fortuna Juvet - Virgil
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

What kind of guidelines are you looking for?

What kind of comic are you working on?

How long are you planning to make it?

Is it more American- or Japanese-like?

I'm working on a pitch for a comic book myself (shameless plug) and could give some pointers.
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

It's sci fi, sorta in between anime and north american, a little more on the north american though. What I mean for guidelines are for motivation to get it done, like promising to have one page done a day, or something like that. All I'll say is that it's like something in between Titan AE and Firefly, with aliens and magic. No silly costumes though, I love XMEN, but I won't deign myself to do anything so silly as super heroes. I've even fully designed a space ship and a few alien races.

As for making it, I'm doing everything, pencils and everything, and drawing the word bubbles before I ink it, and then after inking I'm going to scan it and then add shades and stuff with photoshop. I'm going to do it in greyscale, like Japanese style, but my drawing style I try really hard to make it not look anime. In my opinion a lot of anime looks really flat, or it looks like GANTZ and Witch Hunter Robin. Berserk is special, we all know that. I'm looking to do something that's got a lot of detail, but not as much as Berserk, I don't really like the amount of detail it has some times.

So yeah, give me a deadline or something, I'm just not feeling the push to do it right now, even though it's the only thing worth doing right now.
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

Two pages per hour and work for 10 straight hours a day, no break.
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

If you're doing everything then you should do it in parts.

First and foremost, get the script done. I mean finished. Completely. I don't know how long the story is so I don't know how long that'll take.

Then get a pencilled page finished in a day, then ink and letter that page in another day and so on and so forth. I would suggest that you don't pencil everything, then ink everything, then letter everything. You'll feel like you've accomplished more if you have 2 fully completed pages instead of 5 pencilled pages. Don't ask why. Also, if you pencil and ink immediately afterwards, you can skip many details in the pencil part and just do them straight in ink, which saves time.

After all the dirty work is done, then scan everything and tweak in Photoshop. You could letter in Photoshop as well, though Illustrator is probably better for that. You should be able to get 3 Photoshopped pages a day because if it's just grayscale it shouldn't take long.

And fuck you, superheroes are awesome.
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

Haha, I generally like superheros, I just won't write them. And there isn't really room for new ones that aren't syndicated, unless they're fucking awesome. But not like Superman, he's too awesome.

Writing the entire script would take me forever, but I've got a script for the first chapter, and that's what I need.

I don't have illustrator so the plan is to do the lettering by hand. I have a good handwritten script, almost looks like a type font if I don't go too fast.

The first thing I'll do is sketch the rough shapes for all 20 odd pages for the first chapter then I'll go by your suggestion. I already got production sketches, and that Berserk art book sure came in handy for that.

Arigato Femto sempai :wink:
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

You should definitely have at least the first issue completely written but you should also have the major plot points of the story clearly defined.

And yes, layouts before pencilling.

If I were writing it myself, I'd finish all page layouts of a single issue in a single sitting so I can work on pacing more easily and move panels from page to page as needed.

If I were working off somebody else's script, I'd work on one layout/page at a time because the writer should take care of any pacing issues.
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

all is good in the world, i am back at school and have finally gotten my driver's license. i'm all grown up :)
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Summer's pretty much over.

FUCK!

Can we get a "Fall sucks" thread?
papasith
Augh! Bright sky fire burn eyes!

Post by papasith »

and i am now a national registered EMT. we should start a fall sucks thread, i want to bitch about the LHC starting back up in november
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

But I love Autumn, it's my favorite time of the year.

Oh, BTW, grats on becoming a registered EMT, Papasith. That's pretty damn cool, IMO.

Speaking of making comics and stories. I wish I had someone to draw "Ksi" for me. I think it would make for an awesome graphic novel, but of course it's my story, so I would be inclined to feel that way. Damn it, if only I was good at drawing and writing, and not just writing. I should have went multi-class, but I ended up putting all my character points into writing. I wonder if God will let me start over and reroll my character? What, it's too late and I have to start as a level 1 artist if I want to get good at drawing!? Dangit. >.>
papasith
Augh! Bright sky fire burn eyes!

Post by papasith »

i hear there are some rules on respending so mabe if you spend many hours a day trying to for get other skills you can reallocate to drawing?
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Good point, I'll keep that in mind. I do have a lot of useless ass skills that I could probably do without. Why is it that most of the information that sticks to my brain is otherwise useless or impractical in daily life? If only my nerdiness was geared more towards useful information, rather than media stuff like video games and anime, heh.
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

I'll draw your dude Ksi if you give me some descriptions. Sometimes I like drawing other people's characters because I can help them visualize something they've loved so much.

And yes as the creator of the 'summer sucks' thread I think that we should make a 'fall sucks' thread, though all I'll be bitching about are the stupid sluts in my costume classes.
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

Heh.
Starnum, you're a writer?
I'm a writer too, and so far, I have been able to write with a moderate amount of success in three languages (English, Spanish and French), but I have never been able to get any opinions from natives of either french or english (see that? I'm pretty sure I made a grammatical mistake there).
Why don't you post some of your stuff man, we could make a thread about EG member's works.
We could compare our styles and methods, it would be awesome to have a constant source of feedback.

PD: Fall is not such a bad season. Its just a particularly boring one.
One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings.
~Diogenes of Sinope
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Herald: I meant I wish I had someone to draw the story for me, as I've written it. I know writers and artist hook up sometimes to do a project like a comic or a graphic novel. I just need to find a really good artist I can work with, as most I know have their own things going on, and a stranger would expect me to pay them for the work, whereas I don't have any funding for that kind of thing. Anyway, I already have an illistration of Ksi, that's him, the blue haired guy in my sig there. Though maybe I can get you to draw one of my other characters for me. Femto already drew two of my characters a long time ago and they came out really nice as well.

Rolos: Yep, I'm a writer too. You mean you can't tell? Heh. Though I've never actually been published, except in my high school anthology, and stuff I've put online myself. I'm not sure if I'm ready to share my work with everyone, but I'll consider it. Really I wish I could get officially published, or team up with an artist and get something going there. However, right now I'm not really in a position to get anything like that done. *sigh*
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

I am also a writer, been working on a novel for a good decade now. I think I've redone it 7 times now, only fully finishing it 3 times. The novel then became the comic.

I wouldn't showcase it online, ideas and work could very easily be stolen that way, at least not before you've copyrighted it. Not even an Interstice thread I'd feel safe with.

P.S. pretty pretty please will you let me draw one of your dudes? At least so i can show off a little :)
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Yeah, that's what I mean. I would like to share it with you guys, and I doubt any of you would steal my shit, but once it's out there, anyone can get to it, so I'm pretty protective of my ideas.

Anyway, yeah, I'd love to have you draw one of my characters. I'm glad you're looking forward to it, and I'm curious to see what you can do. So I'll PM you and we'll talk about it there, and when you're done drawing it, then you can post it for all to see. XD
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

I squee in anticipation. With your nerdity I'm curious as to what you have come up with. So PM me already!