That painting...

Way off-topic, and allowed! General discussions on anything and everything.

Moderator: EG Members

Dominion
This is my new home

That painting...

Post by Dominion »

hey...
only recently and for the longest while i've been searching for a painting i saw in an art book in highschool... i felt it to be a rather poignant art piece but i cannot remember the name, artist or book it was in; all i can do is describe it... needless to say google does not help :/

it is a painting of two old, decrepit and emaciated men and bending themselves toward each other. both have a look of utter disdain in their eyes as they view the other. the background may very well be a dark and dreary landscape.

do any of you know the particulars of this painting?

also, do you have a painting you regard as 'profound?'
"Happiness is an inside job"
Starnum
Elven King

Re: That painting...

Post by Starnum »

Hm, never seen that one, sorry.

Salvidor Dali is one of my favorites though. I love how trippy his stuff is.
Dominion
This is my new home

Post by Dominion »

ive seen some of this works and i have to admit they are 'adventurous'
i checked wikipedia and i saw that one called 'virgin auto-sodomized by own virginity' or something.... i would have never guessed the meaning behind the paint had there not been a description for it

that guy deserves his place in history

edit* i am unable to find this painting... i even went through the entire list of artists provided by WebMuseum,Paris (http://www.ibiblio.org/wm/paint/auth/) and could not find it... oh well

interestingly though this site has many well know paintings that by many pre-contemporary artists... i particularly like the classical ones; (don't know the terminology) the ones that depict vast scenes with lots of actions akin to 'where's waldo'
"Happiness is an inside job"
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

There was this one painting I once saw in a museum in New York. It was the self-portrait of a man whose eyes were so incredibly sad and full of despair you could almost feel his desire to end it all.
The style was realist, fairly simple in general, but I have never seen another painting capable of expressing so much with so little.
The description of the painting said the guy who made it fell down some stairs (and died) shortly after completing it, which is kind of funny considering he had recently gotten over a depression which had brought him near suicide more than once. The absurd at it's best. :lol:

I really liked that painting, both because of the painting itself and the circumstances that surrounded it's creation. I just couldn't get enough of them.
But then I had to leave, and now I don't even remember the name of the museum.
One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings.
~Diogenes of Sinope