The music thread.

Way off-topic, and allowed! General discussions on anything and everything.

Moderator: EG Members

War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Re: The music thread.

Post by War Machine »

I'm a huge Radiohead fan. If you're looking for albums to listen to I recommend In Rainbows, Kid A and OK Computer. But quite frankly, I love all of them, even the Thom Yorke stuff.
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Yeah, see I liked those rap videos Desi posted. I guess when it comes to rap I like the gangsta shit the most. :P I like Radiohead as well. *Nods*
brunoafh
This is my new home

Post by brunoafh »

Some of my favorites

Kalmah: Any album is great, I like Swamplord and The Black Waltz the most.

Death: Probably my favorite band of all time. I feel their best albums are Human, Individual Thought Patterns, and Symbolic.

I don't mean to spam YouTube vids, but those songs are really fantastic if you're a metal fan. Cool to see some Opeth fans on here too, my favorite album of theirs is Morningrise, followed by Orchid.
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

This is a music appreciation thread, right? Which means we can discuss music like rational, open-minded individuals, right? Which, in turn, means we can discuss each other's tastes in music in a calm and relaxed manner, yes?
If this is so, would it not be normal, indeed, to be expected, that I comment on your tastes in music, brunoafh?
Because I will.
Oh, I'll do it so fucking hard you won't know what hit you.
You'll be left sprawled on the floor, flabbergasted, your uncomprehending gaze locked on the screen, your mind incapable of coping with how bowel-clenchingly commented your tastes in music will be after I finish writing this post.
It'll be magnificent, a thing of beauty, an epic for the ages.
People will migrate so they can get a glance at the computer in which the Great Comment was first writte-

[spoiler]Sorry, what was that?
I'm not supposed to antagonize people, especially when I have no real reason to do so?
But I like doing it!
Why, it's fun.
Uh.
Uh Huh.
Uh huh.
Ok, if you say so.[/spoiler]

Sorry about that, that was my "Douchebag-no-more" councilor calling. He helps me. I have a problem. I have a problem.
k.
Ahem.

brunoafh, my man!
It's good to know you like Opeth too.
However, I get the impression we like them for slightly different reasons.
I'm basing my opinion on what albums of theirs you chose as your favorites, by the way.
You see, what I like the most about Opeth are the transitions, how they go everywhere in each of their songs, how they seamlessly mix the frustrated violence of growling with slow paced sections that aren't just bits between, but the main body, of intense metal songs.
I also like how they "pad" their songs, set their own pace, fuck with whatever expectations you might have as to 'when' each change will come.
Let me illustrate my point:

First time I listened to this song I cringed at the growling.
I was like "why the fuck did they have to ruin what was a nice, if not particularly good, song with that kind of bullshit?!". I no longer feel that way, and instead enjoy the change of pacing it provides, but wouldn't listen to a song consisting entirely of it. It's like punctuation, or being stabbed. It's nice once in a while, but too much of it will probably kill you. (note to self: work on example)

Needless to say, I'm not a metal fan. I enjoy the genre, but could hardly be said to adhere to it.
You seem to do.
Congratulations.

P.S. I did not mean this post to be condescending. If it is, that is exclusively because of bad writing.
P.S.S. This song. It rattles the biscuit.

It's my Zetman song, for some reason.
One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings.
~Diogenes of Sinope
brunoafh
This is my new home

Post by brunoafh »

An interesting reply Rolos. My tastes certainly feel commented.

I am very much a fan of guitar work, so I enjoy the wonderful pieces of dual guitar harmonies that Morningrise and Orchid are built upon. Those two albums just have this hypnotic quality that I thoroughly enjoy, and I like the experimental-ish quality they provide. I can understand how you, or anyone, could be turned away by the harsh vocal work the albums present. Opeth's method of "padding" songs, as you described, can be heard in their early albums too (but perhaps not to the extent of Watershed's tracks). Take this song for example, if you would:

Although it flows for the most part like a mix between early death metal and progressive rock, there are a few passages scattered throughout that aren't expected. I enjoy all of Opeth's albums, and I only found the Damnation/Deliverance releases to be lacking in the level of quality and creativity all of Opeth's other releases have. There are some good tracks on them, but for the most part the songs are a bit predictable and simplistic. Not enough padding?

In case any, perhaps you'll enjoy this group and song:

I'm a very big Agalloch fan, too.
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

*Sniff*
That was beautiful, man.
Beautiful.
Not orgasmically glorious, but competently magnificent.
THERE IS A DIFFERENCE!

There's something intrinsically laudable about long, purely instrumental songs. They tell you that whoever's composing them, regardless of his musical expertise, is not manufacturing a product, communicating a certain ideology or giving expression to a clear and concrete opinion he has about some issue or subject.
He's trying to make music.
You can't sell a 12 minute long song, you can't explain ideology without symbols, and good luck with arguing against (or in favor) a particular issue without words or images.
All you can communicate is a general feel, a state of being, an attitude and condition.

The song can be shit for all I care, I'll still appreciate it, if only on a matter of principle.
Not that that's the only thing I found worthy of praise in that song you posted, brufnoah (mind if I call you "Rocinante"?), that was actually very good.
I like more variety per song (see "Atom Heart Mother" in this same thread), but still, good stuff.

Hmmm... Does anyone know anything about the mathematics of music? I remember reading something about them in "Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency", but I traded that book for something else. Something about Bach been awesome because of his mathematically complex Branderburg concerto. Can't seem to remember. I don't really like Bach, by the way, the man loves his harpsichords, and I loathe them. Fuck harpsichords, seriously. Fuck 'em.
Anyone know a good book on the subject? (I don't trust Google for recommendations anymore, and amazon has failed me before).

P.S. Your thoughts on Chinese classical music?

This leads me to believe it's good, but I can't be sure.
~Diogenes of Sinope
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

Double posting is my business, and business is bad.
Not as bad as human perception, though, that shit blows.
Apparently the maximum input of information a person can receive (or at least report receiving) without starting to perform badly has an average entropy of 40 bits.
40. F**king. Bits.
It is entirely possible my sources just suck, but if it's true, then the vast majority of the musical content of a song is just... superfluous, at least the first time you listen to it.
Humans perform perplexingly well when confronted with complex problems, but it seems our input capacity is just not good enough to truly appreciate music on the first try.

Also, I've been told that Rock is dead. I originally told the guy who said that in my presence to fuck off, jump off a bridge and then rip his own spine using nothing but his tongue, but in retrospective he might have been right.
I can't think of any mainstream rock "rock" groups on this side of the century, and that's just... sad.
The sixties had psychedelic, the seventies disco, the eighties pop, the nineties rap, the 00's... I don't know. I honestly have no idea what genre of music is going to represent MY decade.
~Diogenes of Sinope
dialdfordesi
I live in a giant bucket.

Post by dialdfordesi »

Foo fighters?
Pearl Jam?
The Darkness?
White Stripes?

If I had to describe the 00's it would be tough, but I'm seeing house music take over this decade already.

Kanye's new album is pretty neat, but I still never liked anything by him as much as Through the Wire, his first single

Trust me, I'm a doctor!
papasith
Augh! Bright sky fire burn eyes!

Post by papasith »

well i think it is time for me to poke my nose in here and post a few things. I like many types of music so i figure i might bring a few videos not previously mentioned yet.

1. Protomen- a rock opera about an alternative mega man story. Nuff' Said. listen to their other songs to, alot of their songs have very different sounds

2. VnV nation- Synthpop/ electronica or what have you. for me at least the lyrics are what get me. i listen to much of this genre.

3. DreamTheater- Prog rock. amazeing band

4. Van canto- acapella metal band. somewhat funny, but surprisingly good. lots of cover songs though.

5. Alestorm- pirate metal complete with a keytarrrrrrr.

im going to refrain from posting much more, but what do people think of these?
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

dialdfordesi wrote:Foo fighters?
Pearl Jam?
The Darkness?
White Stripes?
I don't know...
-Pearl Jam doesn't sound like rock to me. I'm not entirely sure why, but I've always associated them with grunge, not rock.
-The Darkness is glam rock in all it's glory, but isn't that a nineties band? (EDIT: Googled them. You're correct, good sir, and I thank you for having restored my faith in the future of music.)
-I would hesitate before calling the Foo Fighters a rock band. It sounds more like "hard pop" to my ears, if such a concept existed, which I'll from now on assume totally does, and will probably use to label a large segment of music I'm not sure how to classify, and will start treating anyone who doesn't understand what I mean when I use it in a most condescending manner, and then probably be ridiculed when I meet someone who actually knows his shit, musically speaking.
-You know, I thought of the White Stripes while writing my previous post, but I decided to avoid mentioning them because I know too little of their music to give you an informed opinion. I only have "Elephant", and most of the songs of that album are not rock.

@Papasith: Dude, all those songs were awesome. The pirate metal one was particularly funny. Any groups, albums, songs you'd like to recommend, apart from those you posted?

As for me...

*inhale*

PUNK ROCK!

Do you love it? Do you hate it? Do you think only ferrets should listen to it, because they're garbage, everything related to them is garbage, ferretsgarbage, letsjustburneverything?

I like the Sex Pistols and I enjoy the Ramones, but I don't know much about the genre.
~Diogenes of Sinope
dialdfordesi

Post by dialdfordesi »

I always thought that if it had an electric guitar, singer, and drummer it was rock. What's the difference?

Punk is pretty good man, I like The Ramones and The Clash.
Trust me, I'm a doctor!
papasith

Post by papasith »

punk music is ok at times, i find it seems to that the drummer in alot of punk bands does what ever the hell he wants and kind of ruins the harmony of it all for me. but i do like the ramones a good bit!

more music? i got loads

If you liked vnv nation there is assemblage 23

also a lullaby by the same

if you like prog rock like dreamtheater there is stratovarius

[youtube][/youtube]

for something off the wall there is gogol bordello

german music, about alice and wonderland? yes please(apparently there is a version of this sung in english now but it sounds very weird to me at least.)

another alestorm song, i like most of there songs and i find my self not knowing why.

metal orchestra with an opera singer at times?
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tk_1yz0c ... re=related[/youtube]

more protomen, but in a jazz/swing style

and i will end with another vnv nation song. between hard rock/metal and this technoish stuff is really my favorite types of music
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Well out of the first batch of videos that Papsith posted, the only one I really cared for was the Dream Theater song. They're badass. I'm not really a fan of techno or electronica myself, and humor isn't a quality I look for in music. I'm also not very fond of Punk. The pirate metal was okay though. As for the rest of the videos, more of the same. Didn't really care for most of it, but I did like the Strat song, which only makes sense as I am a fan of Dream Theater and they have a similar sound, as was stated. I liked the second Alestorm song a lot more than the first. I felt it was better all around, but especially the instrumental. It probably helps that my favorite genre of music is heavy metal, the heavier the better. The second Alestorm video was more along these lines. As for Opeth, they're one of, if not my favorite band. They're always in close contention for my favorite band with Slipknot. So it's hard for me to pick just one album as my favorite by them. A few that come to mind off the top of my head though, would be "My Arms Your Hearse", "Blackwater Park", and "Damnation". I love all their shit though, for many of the reasons that Rolos mentioned, which makes them a great band. I love their sound, it's so ethereal. I love how one moment Akerfelt's vocals will sound angelic and then the next they're all demonic. Death Metal is also my favorite type of metal. I don't really care for the cookie cutter shit, and there's a lot of it out there that I'm forced to sift through. However, the bands that have their own unique sound, like Opeth. Well I eat that shit up. I'll go ahead post some vids as well, and I'll try to mix it up just to show how varied my tastes can be.

First up, one of my favorite Opeth songs.

Next up some J-Rock by one of my favorite bands of that genre.

Alright, lets get some Hirasawa going.

Rap? Yessir!

Guilty Pleasure? Sure, why not?

I normally can't stand Pop, but there's something I like about Kesha, and I'm partial to female singers. For example, one more.

I could go and on, posting a video from every genre of music that exists. I can always find at least one song I like from any genre. I think you guys get the point though. It's kind of funny though, because I'm totally a metal head, so it surprises my friends when they find out some of the other kinds of music and songs I listen to, lol. I guess you could say I just love music, though I'll admit I do tend to favor some types of music more than others. *shrugs*

Ah hell, it wouldn't be right of me to end this post without a Slipknot video in here somewhere, lol.

tsubaimomo

Post by tsubaimomo »

Diablo II music. Stay awhile and listen...

DrPepperPro
Dirty Sennin

Post by DrPepperPro »

Thanks bro. Actually I'm playing d2 right now but have the volume off but now I'm listening to it from youtube, what?

anyways: this music is awesome: ya:
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

Well, it seems there's a little bit of everything here.
I like diversity. With tea. And biscuits. A little cynicism on the side.
Some nice, ripe abstract concepts on a platter, if I'm feeling sufficiently decadent.

But anyway...

I too like Dream Theater. Their music is fun, if a little too strident for me.
Their mash-ups are fucking awesome.

I don't like Stratovarius, though. I loved them when I was 15, but I've grown to dislike them.
Speaking of groups I used to listen while sucking up to people in high school:

I remember (assisting people who enjoyed) bullying people at the tune of that song.
We used to ridicule this guy, Ponra (I don't even remember why we called him that), for playing role-play games and reading a lot of fantasy books.
I had a lot in common with him, in retrospective, but sometimes you need a scapegoat, and this guy called himself 'Potro, real-life paladin".
What the hell was he expecting?
I just took advantage of something inevitable.
I seemed normal, innocuous in comparison, so my notebooks didn't get burned, his were.

Spanish group. Spanish music. Classical guitar.
Joaquin Rodrigo!

(I just chose that song because it's famous, but there's a lot more to choose, so check it out guys. There's a lot of really good classical music that's focused almost exclusively on guitar)

Dream Theater. Why did I come back to them?
Oh, right.

Liquid Tension experiment is basically their spiritual successor, I've been told.
I usually prefer smoother music, but they're cool.

Aaaaaand, God is an Astronaut:

I like their style, but there's better out there.

Out there...in the PAST! (woooooooooo~ Scary~)

Not your typical King Crimson, but an awesome song nevertheless.

On that note, has anyone NOT watched Ergo Proxy? Because I've been informed that's gonna be illegal soon.
GO WATCH IT!

EDIT: I suppose I can't let those Diablo II songs go uncommented, because Holy mother of cow, that was extraordinary! What the FUCK? Tristam was a five-minutes mission, an in and out operation to rescue Deckard Cain! You kill Griswold (who was the blacksmith in the first one, if I remember correctly), get that peg leg to open the Cow dimention (moo moo, moo, mooh MOO~!) and leave. And that little location gets such a soundtrack?
Sigh.
Pre-Wow Blizzard paid such incredible attention to detail. Nowadays it's all about retcons and grinding the cash out of people. Dammit.
Diablo II was such a good game.
Remember the rain in the Cold Plains, before meeting your first batch of blood hawks? Or those little fucker who screamed 'Rakanishu!", their shamans constantly resurrecting them from the back?
Is it normal to feel this old?
Last edited by Rolos on Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
~Diogenes of Sinope
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Good stuff. I like the Diablo II music. Honestly it sounds like something you might hear in the intro to an Opeth song. :)

LOL @ Doc's video. Disturbingly epic indeed.

Damn, that live Dream Theater video was great! 13 minutes of pure awesomeness! ;)

I'll be back to watch the rest of the videos later tonight.
dialdfordesi

Post by dialdfordesi »

Who here's been to New Orleans? I used to see these guys live on Thursday nights. The video doesn't show anyone dancing, which is grossly atipycal at their shows.

Also Swedish House Mafia's "Until One" is a real good album. The songs blend into each other really well and I could see myself busting a move to this at a Vegas club all night.
Trust me, I'm a doctor!
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

Love the Diablo music, but I have a lot of videos to get through, gimme some time.

Keeping with video game music, here's some Castlevania:

"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

I know this is tangentially related at best, but I had to post it somewhere:

http://www.theonion.com/articles/nasa-l ... sion,2907/

And I know I've posted this song in, like, 3 different threads, but it's so good I'm willing to risk the stern talking-to I could conceivably earn would the mods care to verbosity verbosity verbosity, extraneous bombastic circumlocution, verbosity:

The question being, can a song be carried entirely by its lyrics and the "feel" it gives off (that is to say, pacing, theme, etc...), or is a certain measure of instrumental expertise on the part of the performer completely necessary in order for it to classify as a song?
I'm talking nonsense.
The last part of that question made no sense.
I meant to say, is the "beat" completely necessary?

By the way, am I alone in thinking that "space and it's effect on the human* psyche" is probably the most interesting theme humans can think of? What is is that makes it so cool, the esoteric aura that surrounds stellar travel, or the cold, hard reality of its possibility? Did that question made you feel somehow unnerved, uncomfortable, a little upset because you hate people who talk like that? Are you still readi-

P.S. That's it. Gotta sleep before I start accusing War Machine of soul forgery and illegal distribution of Ca+2. Bye.

Oh, but first I have to comment on the vast selection of music you guys have made availa-
dc,k,
~Diogenes of Sinope
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

Dammit, Warmachine! Don't you know that's illegal? Do you have any idea what they'll do to you and everyone even remotely related to you if they find out about it?
Of course you don't, otherwise you wouldn't be defacing the fundamental principle of existence through which we all- Whoa!
You made those? Real nice, man. Shit, look at the shifting colors of that one. Is that Descartian marble? Holy crap, man, that is a work of art.
Screw the authorities, you gotta make those circulate.
Can I keep one? I've always wanted one.

Oh, and this thread needs non-english-speaking (singing?) rock bands, for the sake of variety and my wallet, as I have sold out and am currently on the payroll of certain record companies who have an interest in promoting their bands, as they themselves have an ever increasing debt with Loki, who's kind of a douche about interest rates and demands more than p(1+p/n)to the power of IT horses, by-monthly, in exchange of not robbing them of their priced three-assed goats.
Fuck.
Lack of sleep.
Sleeping into incoherence I am not good music but limited may be.

This is a satire, I think. Man, I'm tired.
The title is: Mr Jones, or "A little semblance of a typical american family"
Lyrics:
Mr Jones opened the door
Saw his mother lying dead
And the blood from his sweater he washed off
He stashed his mother in the closet
Added more logs to the fire
A harsh winter approached.

He called his wife and said to her
"mom's dead in the closet"
"Why, of course I murdered her!"
"She set the table wrong, so
Ax to the head and the carpet's got stains now"
Such a pity, baby!

And mr Jones worked
And his wife murdered
And the children ran around
They ate all birdies, kitties and bugs that wandered nearby

And the police arrived
With a car and two transports
To arrest the whole family they came
"I don't know why the sergeant is taking me
to the execution grounds!"
"We are just a very normal family!"

Sorry for the horrible translation and the general lack of quality mus

Fuck it. End this post tomorrow.

G' night people.

EDIT:

So I'll try to wrap it up real fast.
Here's some southamerican rock bands.
Most of them are mediocre at best, but I like some of their songs, if only because I've been listening to them since I was 5.
That's good ol' fashioned conditioning for you.

Lucybell. Ok group.
Guy has a nice voice, but instrumentally they're a little repetitive.
The lyrics are funny, though.
Oh, wait, you don't get those.
Why is there no smiley that points a mocking index finger at the reader?

http://www.musica.com/video.asp?video=378

Couldn't get a decent studio version of this song.
It's called "Musica Ligera" by Soda Sterero.
Not that good either.

This is is basically THE chilean punk rock band. Really popular during the Pinochet dictatorship.
Not as popular once people actually started listening to their music, once the dictatorship was over and no one cared about libertarian groups.

God, this is just depressing. These bands SUCK!
I used to be ecstatic just listening to this crap.
Ugh.

Ok, depression averted.

Oh, and Indian jazz-fusion:

Perhaps not the best out there, but certainly the most enthusiastic.
Last edited by Rolos on Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
~Diogenes of Sinope
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

What? What's illegal? What did I make? Who are you?
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

~Diogenes of Sinope
dialdfordesi

Post by dialdfordesi »

Fred Durst and KoRn? If you like them I can respect that, but they are totally not for me.

Anyone like well choreographed music videos?

The most medically relevant music video ever deserves some notice

Also some Bollywood
Trust me, I'm a doctor!
papasith

Post by papasith »

so i found another band called "vitamin string quartet"
basically they do tribute albums of other bands but all in stringed instruments, kinda like apocalyptia. violens + nostalgia has me sold

so here a few, they have alot out there if you like pretty much anything from the 90s early 00s