The music thread.

Way off-topic, and allowed! General discussions on anything and everything.

Moderator: EG Members

Femto
Devourer of Children

Re: The music thread.

Post by Femto »

Pure guitar wizardry.
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

I just can't get enough of this song and video:

They really captured Iggy Pop's spirit :D
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

This is what we get to watch at Sakuracon in a few weeks. They may be pretty, but this video makes em look silly.

P.S. Don't you always find it funny how Japanese music will have random snipets of English, but that very very rarely happens the other way around? Here in Canada you'll get French in English songs sometimes, but that's about it.
Last edited by The Herald on Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Audentis Fortuna Juvet - Virgil
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

The video makes them look silly?
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

The Herald wrote:Sakuracon
lol
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

I hate all of these dumb new artists who don't actually write anything new but just redo old songs. I know it's been going on for forever, but it still pisses me off. Like this one dumb guy hailed as the new big pop star and all he did was cover Africa by Duran Duran and tried to make it all hip hop, lame.
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

The Herald wrote:I hate all of these dumb new artists who don't actually write anything new but just redo old songs. I know it's been going on for forever, but it still pisses me off. Like this one dumb guy hailed as the new big pop star and all he did was cover Africa by Duran Duran and tried to make it all hip hop, lame.
Africa is by Toto, but still, you mean that bald vanilla ice looking guy? Fuck I heard that Africa version on youtube, and it is an abomination! How can one massacre such a good song with shitty uberlame wannabe gangster stuff?

Anyway this is IMHO a really awesome cover of Paranoid by Black Sabbath... or more of an hommage really:

Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Megadeth's new album has a song that is inspired by Aragorn's battle speech towards the end of Return of the King.

Love Megadeth.
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

Slaughterhouse-self titled.

If your looking for some highly lyrical rap this is for you. Probably one of the best hip hop albums to come out in years. Royce Da 5'9', Joe Budden, Crooked I, and Joel Ortiz truly are a rap supergroup/ powerhouse.

Just dled jay-z's blueprint 3. So far so good.
A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.
-Sir Francis Bacon, Of Atheism <---Did I make this my sig? This shits gay as fuck.
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

Alice In Chains just released a new album: Black Gives Way to Blue. You can take a listen to the whole album for free here:

http://music.aol.com/new-releases-full-cds/#/5

It'll only stay there for a week though. Do listen to it, I bought the CD the day it came out and I'm loving it.
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

This is a cool dub-rock band from Vancouver. They're still sorta indie at this point but they just won this huge contest that artists like Nickelback and Matthew Good won so they'll probably be big.
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

Can't get that earworm out of my head at the moment. Doesn't help that the beat is really sweet and driving too.

MournfulWoods
This is my new home

Post by MournfulWoods »

Anyone heard about the 'witch House' music genre ? Here's a remix of Ace of Base's 'All That She Wants' by one of the member of the band Mater Suspiria Vision from that Witch House scene.

http://vimeo.com/12922058
http://backalleybazaar.wordpress.com
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

Currently downloading "My beautiful dark twisted fantasy" by Kayne West.
I'm pretty sure I'm not going to enjoy it, but since it's been compared to "Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Heart's Club band" in terms of musical relevance, I guess I should give it a try.
I'm not a fan of hip-hop.
As a matter of fact, I hate it.
I think it's needlessly repetitive, dull, thematically primitive (what I've listened to is usually focused on sex, violence and drugs) and just overall bad.
It's like music and poetry's retarded, grossly deformed son.
But, hey, gotta get on with the times, right?
I suppose there MUST be something good about it.

EDIT: I think I just heard the words "21st Century Schizoid Man" while listening to 'Power', the third track of this album.
That's the title of a King Crimson song, from "The court of the Crimson king".
Seems this Kayne guy has good taste in music.

EDIT 2: Ok, that song was actually good. Track 5 (I think it was 5) was crap, though. While I do like female genitalia, and find its comparison with a female cat to be hilarious (as opposed to a female fox, the euphemism of choice where I am from), I think repeating it over and over again does not make for good lyrics.
EDIT 3: Track 10 sounds kinda like Iron man. Mmmm.... This one's good. Nice keyboard effect.

Final EDIT:

It's not a bad album. I mean, it's better than all that other 50-cent/Eminem crap I've listened to before, but I still can't bring myself to honestly enjoy it.
It's just... not cool.
I generally like music that either induces strange mental states (Yes, Peter Gabriel's Genesis, David Bowie, 70's progressive in general), exhilaration (Opeth, Black Sabbath, Judas Priest) or amused, appreciative relaxation (Pink Floyd, classical Spanish guitar, Dvorak's compositions).

I don't think I'll ever like hip-hop.
One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings.
~Diogenes of Sinope
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

You're much braver than I am, I wouldn't go near a Kanye West CD even if they payed me*.

*Not true, I'd totally do it for the money.

I haven't been able to get that much into rap or hip-hop either, but there have been a few bands and songs that I do like though. Select songs by Ice Cube (It Was A Good Day, Now I Gotta Wet 'Cha) for example, Cypress Hill (When the Shit Goes Down, Boom Biddy Bye Bye) and several other old school rappers, also some more unconventional rap like The Beastie Boys and MC Hawking. I think there's a better chance that I'll like them if they have good music to go with the rap, far too many rappers add a crappy monotonous beat for the whole song and then uninspired lyrics that do nothing but copy everybody that came before them. Speaking of rap with good music though, you can probably fit Rage Against The Machine into that category:

(This is RATM doing a cover of How I Could Just Kill a Man by Cypress Hill)

I'm still very picky when it comes to rap, but I am starting to like a little here and there. I usually stay away from stuff that even resembles Kanye West's style of music though, I really can't stomach it.

PS: A little belated, but Black Rain is still the single best song I've heard in recent years.
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

Mmmmm.... call me perverted seal-raping panda, but that seemed like a Deathklok music video to me. And it sounded nothing like the Soundgarden I know ("Black hole sun", "forgot the name but it sounded very similar to pearl jam"), which doesn't mean much, since I just have one of their CDs, and it's a 'best of', which I refuse to listen to on principle.
But it was pretty cool.
As for me, "Being for the benefit of Mr Kite" by The Beatles will always be my favorite for reasons that are not entirely clear to me.
It's that circus vibe it gives off. I love it. I hate circuses (circi?), but I like their music. Probably has something to do with the fact that virtually all my childhood memories have been replaced by short clips from Psychonauts, once again, for reason that far transcend my ability to understand. (I love saying that word: transcend. So cool.)

And when I'm feeling classy, Dvorak's 9th Symphony, fourth movement:

Atom Heart Mother (best Pink Floyd album, fuck pigs and Dark side of the moon (not really, they're really cool)) always soothes me when I'm drunk or lack inspiration, yet still manages to crush all hopes that I might one day be happy, thus pushing me to study more to fill the void:

Regarding hip-hop/rap (is there a difference?): Been trying to find something that appeals to my tastes. I refuse to believe it's all crap. Just found this:

At least it's different.
I guess.

P.S. Fuck it, I'm buying the relays.
~Diogenes of Sinope
tsubaimomo
Augh! Bright sky fire burn eyes!

Post by tsubaimomo »

Atom Heart Mother and relays are cool, and shine on you crazy Rolos. I have nothing to add.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Opeth, w00t! Kanye West is horrible, IMO. I can't really stand most hip-hop myself. Not really sure what all falls into this category though, but I definitely don't like anything that sounds like Kanye. There are some rap songs I like though. I think my least favorite form of music would be R&B. I like all kinds of music, but most R&B makes me wanna wretch *shrugs*. Can't say I'm all that fond of easy listening or soft rock either. Rage is the shit though, as well is Soundgarden and Pink Floyd. I'm not really much of a Beatles fan, but they've got some good hits. Listening to the Rage video right now and then I'll check the others. Oh yeah, and I always enjoy classical and symphonic music. ;)

Edit: The Cannibal Ox song was okay I guess.
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

Rolos wrote:Mmmmm.... call me perverted seal-raping panda, but that seemed like a Deathklok music video to me. And it sounded nothing like the Soundgarden I know ("Black hole sun", "forgot the name but it sounded very similar to pearl jam"), which doesn't mean much, since I just have one of their CDs, and it's a 'best of', which I refuse to listen to on principle.
But it was pretty cool.
Well, look at it again cause Dethklok is actually in the video, perverted seal-raping panda. Soundgarden commissioned the people who make Metalocalypse to make the music video. The song itself is actually an older song they never released until last year, it was created during the time of the Badmotorfinger album (1991) but they didn't like how the song was coming along so it got canned. Recently though, they decided to rework it and finally release it for their compilation album Telephantasm, which came out last year. If you think the song doesn't sound like Soundgarden, then I recommend you listen to some more Soundgarden, preferably Badmotorfinger, Superunkown and Down on the Upside.

This is Jesus Christ Pose from the album Badmotorfinger, which I think is more akin to Black Rain.
dialdfordesi
I live in a giant bucket.

Post by dialdfordesi »

Most hip-hop that people get exposed to is the vapid pop music stuff. Outside of the mainstream hip hop has a lot more lyrical rhythm and groove than any shit that sounds like Lollipop. Equating the rap on the radio to all that hip-hop is would be like basing all rock on "Stacy's Mom Has Got it Going On."

I do enjoy those jams at parties and at the club, but when it comes to music for solely listening purposes, Nothing can beat the lyrical wordplay set to a beat.

I don't mind rock but for the most part, there's no groove in the music so I just can't get into it.
Trust me, I'm a doctor!
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

tsubaimomo wrote:Atom Heart Mother and relays are cool, and shine on you crazy Rolos. I have nothing to add.
Nothing to add to the wall? It seems to me you have a saucerful of things to add, don't you? Perhaps you lack the time to do so? May be it's a money thing?
*wink wink*
I wish you were-
Ah, fuck it.
I can't do it.

That Soundgarden song sounded really cool, by the way.
I should probably download some of their stuff, see if it's worth buying. I do buy music, by the way, but only on album format, with a physical back-up.
I bought a vinyl disk player exclusively for that. It's awesome (I'm particularly proud of a "Jimmi Hendrix Experience" disk I found on an antiquary, an european-only release featuring the nude, supple bodies of many, many young ladies of all races, classes and origins as its cover).

Dialdfordesi, I hereby name you Rap Chancellor of Rolosnia.
Could you recommend me any good Hip Hop albums, so I might expand my musical horizons without having to use much lube (a surprisingly expensive commodity)?

MUSIC!
What's it good for?
I don't wanna fall into that philosophical swamp that is aesthetics (as in, the attempt to explain art and the artistic experience through reason, not that pop art bullshit people usually associate with the word), but I think an extremely short reflection is necessary in order to properly define what I like and what I don't like about music:

Music is like a sandwich. A purely sensual pleasure.
The main difference between music and a sandwich does not lie in music itself, but on the method through which we type the 'input' that is music into our brain-box.
It's a non-exclusive, mostly passive method that doesn't exhaust the source material, sort of an endless sandwich, and as such, it is superior to all other art forms in terms of mobility and availability.
Also, lyrics are bullshit, and cannot be part of music.
The moment you add lyric it becomes poetry.
There's a test I like to songs through in order to determine their nature:
Replace every word in the song with the words "Wobbly penis" and see if it still instills your brain with awesomeness.

Poetry:

Music:

I hate elvis Presley.
I hhhhhhhhhhhhhhate him.
So much.
So very, very much.
Death to the king, baby!

P.S. Dethklok rules!
P.S.S. Chancellor, quick, define 'groovy'!
~Diogenes of Sinope
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

Music + Lyrics = Song

Any of the terms already mentioned can be considered Poetry in my opinion.
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

Awww, but that's no fun!
It has to be convoluted, vague, counter-intuitive and most likely nonsensical!
For example, I hereby define life as the property of matter that allows energy/information processing, self-replicating systems to ingest vanilla-flavored pastries.
Everything else is dead, or in a strange state of faux-life that resembles life in every way, but is most definitely not.

Also, I love this song. Nothing like it to break one's concentration.

~Diogenes of Sinope
dialdfordesi
I live in a giant bucket.

Post by dialdfordesi »

Binary Star-Masters of the Universe. I can't say enough about how classic album is.

If you don't mind gangsta rap, I would recommend the old school shit: Dr. Dre's The Chronic, Nas' Illmatic, Mobb Deep's The Infamous, all of those albums are fucking hard as hell.

Also this:
Trust me, I'm a doctor!
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

Poor Barrett.
Gave us timeless classics (Jugband Blues), and crap like this.
Poor, dead lunatic.
Shine on.
(True awesomeness demands explicitations, tsubaimomo!)

Also:

What are your thoughts on Radiohead?
(I always read Alan Moore's stuff with that song as background, by the way)
~Diogenes of Sinope