Guin Saga, anyone?

Way off-topic, and allowed! General discussions on anything and everything.

Moderator: EG Members

RanShi
imanewbie

Guin Saga, anyone?

Post by RanShi »

Seriously, I can't stop reading it.

On the train an bus on my way to uni, in the changing room at the gym, while I'm microwaving my food, while I'm eating my food, while I'm takin a shit.

I'm obsessed.

And I'm halfway through the fourth volume, and I've got the first 5 volumes (like 300 pages each) (the only ones translated to english).

Has anyone else read anything from the series?

Just the fact that you hardly find anything when you google guin saga is a joke.

even silmarillion < guin saga

Feels like there's no one outside of japan who knows anything of the series.
And that's sick.
But, there's an anime comin out in spring =) so we have something 2 look forward to. And I haven't checked out the 3-volume manga yet.
"And now Guts, by some alien logic, I own you."
lon3vvolf
n00b Smasher

Re: Guin Saga, anyone?

Post by lon3vvolf »

I've been trying to look into it but I cant find anything on it! After reading that it was an inspiration for Mr. Berserk creator I want to get in on that boat too..
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Hm, what's it about? Who's it by? Can I get some more info here? :P

Shouldn't this be in the manga forum? I'm gonna move it if that's cool.
RanShi
imanewbie

Post by RanShi »

Uh, actually, no.

So move it back.

The Guin Saga is a series of novels, like, books, you only read, no pictures. Some versions have illustrations though, but they're more "books" and not "comics".

Well it's basically about Guin, this leopard headed warrior who wakes up in a strange place not knowing anything about himself, who he is, what he's done, nothing. And well...the story gets interesting pretty quick, and it NEVER gets boring (I've read the first four volumes now, gonna start reading the fifth tonight) very epic, great language (it's been translated and it still kicks tolkiens ass an infinite amount of times) and everything just feels real, and breathing, every character. And the world, you really get into the world after a while, and suddenly when someone in the book makes a joke about a fictional thing that only exists in the guin saga world, you're so into it that you get everything and that really makes the world feel ALIVE. It sounds corny when I try to describe it on the internet, but trust me, this is some good shit.

I don't wanna give away too much though;

Here's an execerpt from the beginning of the first book if u're interested:

http://www.vertical-inc.com/guinsaga/excerpt01.html

Just order it as soon as you can. This shit is the new drug for me, and I wanna pass it on :D
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

RanShi wrote:Uh, actually, no.

So move it back.
Uh, you could say please, bossy. I could move it to the fuck-it bucket if you'd rather.

It was an honest mistake. :?

So when you say leopard headed, you mean he's a cat person, or a human with a leopard's head?
lon3vvolf
n00b Smasher

Post by lon3vvolf »

Take straight from the ultimate source of info, wikipedia:
Guin Saga (グイン・サーガ, Guin Sāga?) is the title of a best-selling heroic fantasy novel series by Japanese author Kaoru Kurimoto, in continuous publication since 1979. A record 100 volumes were originally planned,[1] but as of 2008 the total stands at 123 volumes and is the longest continuing single-writer's work in the world with total circulation exceeding 28 million worldwide. [2]

American publisher Vertical has released the first five volumes, translated into English by known game translator Alexander O. Smith. The English editions have drawn praise comparing the series to The Lord of the Rings and Conan the Barbarian. [3]

A series of soundtrack CDs composed by Goro Ohmi have also been released in Japan. [4]

Berserk creator Kentaro Miura has stated that Guin Saga was a large influence on his work.
I think I've actually heard him talk about it on one of the DVDs. He says he wants to make Berserk as long as Guin Saga. Which is sad news for us all... Guin Saga stands at 123 volumes.
In addition my favorite artist, other than Kentaro Miura, has done the illustrations for the series... I'm talking about the dude I played paper rock scissors with. Yoshitaka Amano.

And wiki says there is some talkings about turning this into an anime. woot.

So RanShi... ummmmm do I have to go and BUY these books? I like free things better. :D
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

The only thing I know about it is that King from Tekken is based on the main character of Guin Saga and the aforementioned influence on Miura's Berserk.

I started reading the first book at the peak of my Berserk high.

Pretty generic stuff.

Won't bother with it again.
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

Femto wrote:Pretty generic stuff.

Won't bother with it again.
While I found the genre interesting (humanoid animals and stuff), it wasn't my cup of tea either. I read the first book as well without knowing it's influence on Muira, and it immediately reminded me of 12 Kingdoms (the anime, not the book it was based on). I know it's kind of comparing apples and pears, but I liked the Witcher better (I stopped reading Guin Saga for Witcher). This was a couple of years ago though, I might re-read it again once I find it. I actually tried reading it because the cover looked cool, and I was interested in anything remotely resembling Lord of the Rings at that time.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
RanShi
imanewbie

Post by RanShi »

Eldo wrote:
While I found the genre interesting (humanoid animals and stuff), it wasn't my cup of tea either. I read the first book as well without knowing it's influence on Muira, and it immediately reminded me of 12 Kingdoms (the anime, not the book it was based on). I know it's kind of comparing apples and pears, but I liked the Witcher better (I stopped reading Guin Saga for Witcher). This was a couple of years ago though, I might re-read it again once I find it. I actually tried reading it because the cover looked cool, and I was interested in anything remotely resembling Lord of the Rings at that time.
It's a weird thing, I just read the Witcher (the first collection of shortstories) and I'm in love. The world is alot easier to "get into" than Guin Saga, but not more or less interesting, just different in my opinion.

I also recently finished reading the first volume of Vampire Hunter D, the film (from 85) gives us like..half of the story that's told in the book. The book's amazing. I think Kikuchi writes better than both Sapkowski and Kurimoto.

Read. Read.
lon3vvolf
n00b Smasher

Post by lon3vvolf »

Thought I'd give this another post as I'm a huge fan of VHD.

Here you go:
Kikuchi and Amano:
Just part of the swag I got signed. Yes, I am awesome, I played paper rock scissors with Amano.
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

lon3vvolf wrote:Thought I'd give this another post as I'm a huge fan of VHD.

Here you go:
Kikuchi and Amano:
Just part of the swag I got signed. Yes, I am awesome, I played paper rock scissors with Amano.
Isn't there a Vampire D manga/ graphic novel(s) out there for Vampire D? I recall reading advertisements for one in the back of one of my recent DH Berserk volumes.
Let's put a smile on that face...............
lon3vvolf
n00b Smasher

Post by lon3vvolf »

The Prince wrote:Isn't there a Vampire D manga/ graphic novel(s) out there for Vampire D? I recall reading advertisements for one in the back of one of my recent DH Berserk volumes.
Yeah, I actually asked them about that. Well, there was talk about making an actuay VHD comic too, so I asked in general how they feel about their work expanding and what not...
They both think its a good thing because the world of vampire hunter is so large that it can fit other forms such as comics/manga.

However... I looked through the first issue of the manga. Shit is garbage. D talks a lot, and the artists turned him into a freaking fairy. I had to wash my hands after reading it. Guess I just didn't like how they changed the artwork from amanos style to whatever it is now. 3 volumes of the manga are out, you can check them out http://www.vampire-d.com/home.html

As for me, I'll stick to the novels thank you.
titogod
Found the Edit button

Guin saga

Post by titogod »

Well today I watch it for my first time, All i got to say is this.

guin saga >>>>> vinland saga >> berserk
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Blasphemy! Nothing is greater than Berserk.