Last.fm - Evil_Genius Radio Station and Music Aggregator

Way off-topic, and allowed! General discussions on anything and everything.

Moderator: EG Members

psi29a
Godo

Last.fm - Evil_Genius Radio Station and Music Aggregator

Post by psi29a »

The Group: http://www.last.fm/group/Evil_Genius

Would you like to listen to music while reading Berserk, Biomega and more? Yes? Then here is the plan, we are trying to build up a last.fm community that aggregates what everyone listens to. Should we get more than 15 active members, then I can integrate flash widget in the forums and blog that can play back some of the most popular tracks that everyone is listening to.

Yes, we can put in block to prevent... crap from being played back.

It is free to join. To help with the project you need to download a 'Scrobbler' that uploads the tracks you play via iTunes or Windows Media Player. The download is here:

http://www.last.fm/download/

Both killfile and myself have been on for awhile so feel free to join us @ EG.

note: we tried this with mindwerks, but it fell by the wayside. since the forums is wholly EG now, figured we could make it work and get a radio station for everyone to participate in.
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Re: Last.fm - Evil_Genius Radio Station and Music Aggregator

Post by War Machine »

Is any song I scrobble going to be added to Evil_Genius radio? Or do I have to configure something to do so? All I did was sign-up as a member of the group.
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

War Machine wrote:Is any song I scrobble going to be added to Evil_Genius radio? Or do I have to configure something to do so? All I did was sign-up as a member of the group.
You have to download their application, it installs a plugin of sorts to itunes or wmp.
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

Yeah, I already did that too. Whenever I listen to anything on iTunes it scrobbles it, I just wasn't sure if it was being added to the group.
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

War Machine wrote:Yeah, I already did that too. Whenever I listen to anything on iTunes it scrobbles it, I just wasn't sure if it was being added to the group.
There is typically a time limit on scrobbling, you have to listen to the song about 1/3rd the way through before it can be scrobbled. What happens is that after a week, it comes data of tracks and we can use that create a playlist that fits the majority of people who join the group.

For example, killfile and I leave our iTunes playing over the weekend. What happens is that it builds up a list of things you like and matches you (and the group) to other people and groups with the same musical taste. It also allows you to listen to a last.fm radio station that plays your kind of music while you don't have access to your collection.

For me this is perfect if I'm on the road or when I was at class hopping from lab computer to lab computer.
Selrahc
imanewbie

Post by Selrahc »

Hey Guys,
Seems like a cool idea. I am DLing the plugin now.

Could not use my forum nick, so if you want to get in touch I am sunkenrlyeh on Last.FM
guywildman
imanewbie

Post by guywildman »

So em... hello again. I know I'm not exactly part of the active users of the forum or anything but I saw this and it looks like a nice idea so I'm in. man this is kind of awkward :?
any way just to remind you I'm the guy from Israel so I really have like zero home time, I'll keep posting when I have the time, any way hope you enjoy my music.
See you next time I have the time to post and a reason to do so. :D
Buuhan1
Mastered PM

Post by Buuhan1 »

Is there anyway for the plugin to be used for winamp? I'm sorry, but using anything else to play music is just not my thing.
I think Guts is a pretty cool guy, eh kills shit an doesn't afraid of anything.
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

The last.fm program is really crappy, it actually conflicts with my NES and SNES emulators (disabling several keyboard buttons), so I can't play while that thing is on. Which sucks because I do like to listen to music while I play.

Anyway, there's a plugin for winamp and other programs here:

http://www.last.fm/forum/34905/_/135053
Buuhan1
Mastered PM

Post by Buuhan1 »

I uninstalled it. After 15 songs something happened....my sound died, like it didn't exist. This was a problem with my computer before it got wripped back in February, but the wrip seemed to have fixed it. If this thing is gonna bring the problem back, then I'm sorry, no can do.

Hopefully my first 15 songs I listened to can be useful.
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

I seriously doubt this had anything to do with your 'wripping' problem.

However, there are other 'scrobblers' out there other than the last.fm client. Just google for scrobbler, as there are plugins for iTunes, WMP, and winamp.

edit: heads up, i've added the last.fm widget so we can listen to EG's radio! congrats on getting this far and i hope more join in the fun.
Buuhan1
Mastered PM

Post by Buuhan1 »

I got the plugin working. Before I wasn't sure if it was. But it is! So, here's to the music!
MrFelony
E-Thug

Post by MrFelony »

well i need to play almost all my music in order to redownload copyright permission to play the songs anyway...so i'm going to scrobble away ;). of course i ahd to start with Mastadon, the only metal on my computer.
jistanidiot
imanewbie

Post by jistanidiot »

Is this some plot to alert the copyright police about what we have on our harddrive? :pwned:
Buuhan1
Mastered PM

Post by Buuhan1 »

Dammit, my sound problem is back. And downloading that program had to have been what triggered it. Shit.
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

Buuhan1 wrote:Dammit, my sound problem is back. And downloading that program had to have been what triggered it. Shit.
If that is the case, then try one of the other scrobblers out there. You don't necessarily need to use last.fm's.
Buuhan1
Mastered PM

Post by Buuhan1 »

No point really. I don't have a large variety of music, and the music I do have I only tend to listen to some of it out of all of it. All the songs I really listen to have put logged into last.fm, and then some. And last night before I uninstalled...I noticed it stopped logging my songs. Like it just stopped.
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

We currently have 76 members, most of which are fans of EG who already had last.fm accounts, so I would count this as a success! Lots of good music coming in to.
Tonbo
Mastered PM
Location: I am the one who lives in the darkness, and shatters it.

Post by Tonbo »

What happened to the last.fm plugin? It no longer appears when I load up evil-genius.us. I was really digging it.
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

Should still be there, it loads for me on http://www.evil-genius.us
Tonbo
Mastered PM
Location: I am the one who lives in the darkness, and shatters it.

Post by Tonbo »

psi29a wrote:Should still be there, it loads for me on http://www.evil-genius.us
Thanks, it's back for me now too after a couple of days AWOL.
My flash engine had probably crashed at some point and I hadn't rebooted in a while... perhaps.
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

*shrugs* I've done nothing, I assume some craziness with either last.fm or flash. :mrgreen:
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Wow, this is the most excessive bot yet. I'm gonna delete all the posts it's made all over the board. Arke, if you could deal with this spam-bot, we'd all appreciate it I'm sure.