What are you reading?

Way off-topic, and allowed! General discussions on anything and everything.

Moderator: EG Members

Libaax
Of The Abyss

What are you reading?

Post by Libaax »

I mean books that is.

For me i have just finished my first Michael Connally book. He is apparently big in crime books.

Its the series about the LA cop Harry Bosch. I liked how the character wasnt a super cop with action moves,he was a more of a guy that thinked through things,he felt more of privat eye than a cop.

This thread is about what you are reading right now or gonna start reading.

Its not a recommendation thread like the other one but of course you can hail a book ig you want.
The ink of a scholar is worth a thousand times more than the blood of the martyr- The Quran
ryusenka
This is my new home

Post by ryusenka »

Right now I'm trying to finish Dune, really awesome book and in school we're reading the odyssey in our textbooks.
"Understand that it's just a person - not worth devoting any nightmares to." - JTHM
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

How is Dune storywise? Is it like Foundation, an epic sci fi story? I have always wanted to read Dune but always forgets.

The Odessey? You cant mean all of the book?

Can you believe that i borrowed that book for myselt not for school, it was cool how the story is so much about the Gods than the movie,tv versions. How Athena cares about Odesseus.

The translation was 100 years old and in very tough swedish and the book was too hard to read in its prose form. It took 30 mins to read one page :P The only book i gave up cause it was too hard to read.

One day when i dont have school taking alot of my time, i will finish it, its my mission impossible :P
The ink of a scholar is worth a thousand times more than the blood of the martyr- The Quran
ddem1
Augh! Bright sky fire burn eyes!

Post by ddem1 »

Libaax wrote:How is Dune storywise? Is it like Foundation, an epic sci fi story? I have always wanted to read Dune but always forgets. :P
Epic indeed :wink:

Awesome book, with many memorable characters and events. Dialogue is killer. Definitely Frank Herbert's best work. Part 3 also comes close though... If you'll like the first, then you'll certainly want to pick up the other 5 :wink:

The movie and mini-series don't do them justice :x
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

Forest Mage, the second book in Robert Hobb's Soldier Son trilogy.

I've been meaning to get out of the ill-smelling Fantasy swamp for some time now, but Hobb keeps dragging me back.

Her writing is good, goddamn it.
"I love a buz" - LordMune, 2012
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

ddem1 wrote:
Libaax wrote:How is Dune storywise? Is it like Foundation, an epic sci fi story? I have always wanted to read Dune but always forgets. :P
Epic indeed :wink:

Awesome book, with many memorable characters and events. Dialogue is killer. Definitely Frank Herbert's best work. Part 3 also comes close though... If you'll like the first, then you'll certainly want to pick up the other 5 :wink:

The movie and mini-series don't do them justice :x
Movies never do the books justice.

Even Godfather one of the best movies ever isnt even half as good as the book. I was suprised to see that when i read the book.
Tempest
Dirty Sennin

Post by Tempest »

I'm finishing up the The Ultimate Hitchhikers Guide which consists of:
Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy
The Restaurant at the End of the Universe
Life , the Universe and Everything
So Long, and Thanks For All the Fish
Mostly Harmless
Young Zaphod Plays it Safe. Awesome reading, plus the book is all leather bound so I feel all dignifed when I'm reading it.
ImageImage
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Isnt it funny and great?

I have never read a more genius books. It had everything great characters,story,fantasy,the comedy of a lifetime.

The only book i luaghed out loud when i read them.

Douglas Adams was genious.

My fav book series of all time for sure.

Too bad Adams didnt have the time to write more books. He must be the best writers to have written so few but so many golden books.
arke
Beware my tactical spam

Post by arke »

ddem1 wrote: Awesome book, with many memorable characters and events. Dialogue is killer. Definitely Frank Herbert's best work. Part 3 also comes close though... If you'll like the first, then you'll certainly want to pick up the other 5
Dune is a good read, but pales compared to God Emperor or later. That is when the story gets interesting.

Right now, I just started Chapterhouse: Dune. And please, don't tell me how good it is, I already know; I'm reading the series again for 7.
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

Sophies World. Its a novel and a history of philosophy in one.
A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.
-Sir Francis Bacon, Of Atheism <---Did I make this my sig? This shits gay as fuck.
ryusenka
This is my new home

Post by ryusenka »

Libaax wrote: The Odessey? You cant mean all of the book?
Naw, just a few passages from the book, but it's still 30-40 pages long, and that's pretty long for a textbook story.
Libaax wrote: The translation was 100 years old and in very tough swedish and the book was too hard to read in its prose form. It took 30 mins to read one page :P The only book i gave up cause it was too hard to read.
Aren't there translations of the book in english? It would be less of a pain to deal with, it being english and new and all. You would still be continuing it too.
Libaax wrote: Even Godfather one of the best movies ever isnt even half as good as the book. I was suprised to see that when i read the book.
Holy--Godfather was a novel? And here I thought it was just some cheasy action film that I never really got to watch, I'm gonna have to check out godfather sometime when I don't have a shitload of homework.
"Understand that it's just a person - not worth devoting any nightmares to." - JTHM
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Yeah the old swedish langauge was what stopped me from finishing it.

Still out of principle i refuse to take the easy way, i am gonna finish the book even with ancient language :)

Godfather book is amazing, Puzo is a master of writing maffia stories. He has written several good maffia books other than Godfather.
Sortep
n00b eater

Post by Sortep »

I just finished reading Lamb, The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal

anyone who is faintly a zealot shouldn't read that book because they will scream sacrilige... otherwise the book is hilarious..

here's an incomplete and possibly paraphrased quote of a conversation from the book

Biff: We think it would be really bad if Balthasar fell in love with you.
Jesus: I know.
Biff: I mean really bad.
Jesus: Don't you think sodomizing the son of god is probably the worst thing you can do?

i laughed every few pages to that book
christopher moore really is a genius in humor
Bow to Golbez
ryusenka
This is my new home

Post by ryusenka »

Just finished Choke by Chuck Palahniuk after ignoring it for so long. Good book, but misleading, sorta. Crazy book, but very good.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Is sort of like Fight Club?, i have been wanting to read his books since seeing that movie.

Anyone read Barry Eisler's John Rain books?
swallow
notanewb

Post by swallow »

arke wrote:Dune is a good read, but pales compared to God Emperor or later. That is when the story gets interesting.
Are you kidding? I've also read all of Dune several times and I find God Emperor the hardest to get through, probably because I find all the main characters painfully annoying. However I do like Heretics and Chapter House.
ddem1 wrote:The movie and mini-series don't do them justice.
I'm not sure if you meant the Patrick Stewart, Sting movie - I know it was terrible enough to warrant David Lynch considering Alan Smithee-ing it, but watching it just for laughs is still good.

For any sci-fi buffs I do recommend David Zindell's The Broken God (I know it sounds pretentious as hell but it's pretty good) which I recently finished again.

I'm also on a quest to broaden my reading patterns at the moment, so I'm currently reading Stephen Hawinkg's On the Shoulders of Giants, John Saul's Voltaire's Bastards and Giles Milton's The Samurai Knight (this guy's pretty good for interesting snippets of history).

Thanks for the tip Sortep.
Procrastination at its finest.
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Re: What are you reading?

Post by LordMune »

IM IN UR THRED REDIN UR TEXT
Libaax wrote:I mean books that is.
Oh.

(+1)
"I love a buz" - LordMune, 2012
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

I'm currently reading Interface by Neal Stephenson and J. Frederick George.

Not one of Neal's best work, but still a fun read. It is definently easier than my previous book Guns, Germs & Steel, however I recommend that to.
Arngrim
Mastered PM

Post by Arngrim »

Libaax wrote:Is sort of like Fight Club?, i have been wanting to read his books since seeing that movie.
Survivor is his closest book to another fight club, also being made into another movie (was delayed due to 9/11 I believe)

I'm re-reading Mastering Eishen Ryu Swordsmanship (For when I resume MJER in the winter, need to relearn crap now @.@) Stranger in a strangeland and um...Batman: Child of Dreams...ok the latter isn't even a novel/book, but whatever. I don't care :X
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Ah good to see people took to the thread :)

I have read 220 pages of the second Harry Bosch book, i didnt want to finish it so early wanted prolong the enjoyment but i got hooked cant stop reading it.

Lucky me my bro has third book in the series.

After this the third book i have read 6 spy/crime books in a row which means i will look into if there are some good fantasy people recomend.

I want to try diffrent genres and the only genre i havent read anything of is fantasy.

So far some genres i enjoy much more than others.

Its like this:

Sci Fi
Spy/action thrillers
Crime
Comedy
History fiction
raziel
This is my new home

Post by raziel »

reading short stories from lovecraft and sherlock holmes
Khelegond
Flexing spam muscles

Post by Khelegond »

Pattern Recognition, by William Gibson. Sometimes it's too weird, the way he describes things...but the man is a genius...it's a great book (Neuromancer it's still better, anyway)
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

Khelegond wrote:Pattern Recognition, by William Gibson. Sometimes it's too weird, the way he describes things...but the man is a genius...it's a great book (Neuromancer it's still better, anyway)
Getting drunk on vodka, in the summer swap areas of western russian looking at Nazi dive bombers.

I will never forget that part of the novel. :P
Gundam_Bobcat
Mastered PM

Post by Gundam_Bobcat »

Well currently I'm writing a book report on the novel "Promises to Keep: African-Americans and the Constituational Order, 1776 to the Present"

Its not a very fun book to read, I would much rather be out getting my party on.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

psi29a wrote:
Khelegond wrote:Pattern Recognition, by William Gibson. Sometimes it's too weird, the way he describes things...but the man is a genius...it's a great book (Neuromancer it's still better, anyway)
Getting drunk on vodka, in the summer swap areas of western russian looking at Nazi dive bombers.

I will never forget that part of the novel. :P
Ok that line got me intrigued, gotta look up the book.