What are you reading?

Way off-topic, and allowed! General discussions on anything and everything.

Moderator: EG Members

Khelegond
Flexing spam muscles

Post by Khelegond »

Libaax wrote:Ok that line got me intrigued, gotta look up the book.
http://www.williamgibsonbooks.com/books/pattern.asp

There's an excerpt at the end of the page. Read it, and you'll know what we mean.
Lungs
notanewb

Post by Lungs »

About to read China Mievelle's Perdido Street Station, which I've heard many good things about. A new breed fantasy writer who most likely has a grudge against people feeling happy or experiencing 'nice things'. Goes pretty graphic in the way of creating nightmare-like-realities.

Just finished reading Michael Moorcock's Count Brass! Great! Michael Moorcock is such an inspired author. Count Brass was a wicked trip into the psyche of Hawkmoon, who met the dead, became the dead, was the dead, then... ahh... it gets a bit complicated.
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

Lungs wrote:About to read China Mievelle's Perdido Street Station, which I've heard many good things about.
It's good, but that book requires a lot of determination, at least in my case. I'm a relatively experienced reader, and the only thing that got me through Perdido Street Station was knowing that I'd have nothing else to read if I put it down.
"I love a buz" - LordMune, 2012
Lungs
notanewb

Post by Lungs »

Haha, determination? Rats. I kind of need books to take me along, I've only been reading (while this sounds odd) for a year. Did you think it was worth the determination once you had finished?
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

Lungs wrote:Haha, determination? Rats. I kind of need books to take me along, I've only been reading (while this sounds odd) for a year. Did you think it was worth the determination once you had finished?
I doubt it was worth the effort, but I didn't exactly feel cheated once I finished it. Read the first hundred pages or so, and weigh immersion/appreciation against time and effort reading it.

The Da Vinci Code, if you've not already read it (I can't believe I'm recommending this book to somebody), basically reads itself. This says nothing of the subject matter or quality of writing, however.
Lungs
notanewb

Post by Lungs »

Nah, it's alright, haha... I spent the better half of my youth on the internet looking at far more exciting things than the past of Jesus. Haha, giants in Charthage, sunken temples of Mu, Dzopa disks...

Kind of into fantasy. The only books I've read, though, have been by Moorcock and Aldiss. Has anyone read Cryptozoic? It's extremely hard to find as an e-book! I haven't managed to find it as of yet. It's about... time. Haha, good book.
Psycho Wolvesbane
Mastered PM

Post by Psycho Wolvesbane »

I'm currently reading Raymond E Feist's "Flight of the Nighthawks", and once that's done I'll start the next book in the series that I got signed by the author himself as a competition prize!
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

Lungs wrote:Kind of into fantasy.
You need more Robin Hobb in your life. Fantasy as a genre has some pretty crappy writing, but she is an excellent storyteller. Start with the Farseer Trilogy (AKA 'assassin books').
Lungs
notanewb

Post by Lungs »

An excellent story-teller, you say? Great, I will definitely look into that. Thanks!
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

I am currently reading Looking for Jake, a collection of short stories by China Mieville.

You should definitely check this out, Lungs.

Lacking something to read, I decided to pick up said book, having read the first couple of pages and hurled it across the room months before (this was right after forcing myself through Perdido Street Station by the same author).

This time I read past the first two pages, and it blew me away. So far, all the stories (fantastical but set in everyday England, all mystery-horror in nature) have been excellent. Nothing revolutionary, but entertaining beyond the call of duty.
Psycho Wolvesbane
Mastered PM

Post by Psycho Wolvesbane »

If you're into fantasy then I have a few suggestions:

David Eddings (Start with the Belgariad saga, Pawn of Prophecy is the first book)

Raymond E Feist (Start with Magician)

Robert Jordan (Book 1 of the Wheel of Time series)
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

I have become addicted to the Harry Bosch series, so i cant do anything but order book 4 and book 5 in the series.

Connelly is a master of crime books.

While waiting for them i will finish the 5th and last book in the series of Foundation.
The ink of a scholar is worth a thousand times more than the blood of the martyr- The Quran
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

Psycho Wolvesbane wrote:Robert Jordan (Book 1 of the Wheel of Time series)
One does not recommend the Wheel of Time to anyone, ever.

The first three books or so are awesome, but by the end of the tenth you're in tears because nothing at all happened in that book. Fuck Robert Jordan.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Hehe harsh!

the Farseer Trilogy ? Is it similer to Assasin Creed story? Is it those assasin's or something else?
The ink of a scholar is worth a thousand times more than the blood of the martyr- The Quran
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

Libaax wrote:Hehe harsh!

the Farseer Trilogy ? Is it similer to Assasin Creed story? Is it those assasin's or something else?
Assassin's... Creed... what

That's a game.

Anyway, all (three) Farseer books have the word "Assassin" in the title. Assassin's Apprentice, Assassin's Quest, et cetera.

(Fantasy-medieval political assassin(s), not the original drug junkies.)
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Hehe just wondered if it was the same dudes. The same clan. Since it was near the same time as this Farseer books.

Doesnt matter really i like assasain books where it is modern day or in the past.

Have you read John Rain books? Its about the assasain John Rain that does work for whoever that pays and his troubles with the Yakuza and FBI.

Its a great series.

Hehe even called by some of the critics that its James Bond written by Tarantino style(when he was great that is )
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

LordMune wrote:
Lungs wrote:Kind of into fantasy.
You need more Robin Hobb in your life. Fantasy as a genre has some pretty crappy writing, but she is an excellent storyteller. Start with the Farseer Trilogy (AKA 'assassin books').

I have read her and she was the second fantasy writer i didnt like so far.

I have only read 3-5 fantasy writers so far.

Which other ones do you like?
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

I just finished the new Raymond E Fiest book, Into a Dark Realm. Yum, i love all his books, so this is no different.

I'm now 'bout 20 pages into Neal Stephenson's The Confusion which is volume 2 of the baroque cycle. So far I'm loving it.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

I have read his first two Magician books and i liked them alot. I took pause from him cause i am in a SF mood right now.

I am reading Hyperion by Dan Simmons. A really complex and poetic space opera.

have you read Gemmell?
Avulsion
imanewbie

Post by Avulsion »

Invisible Monsters, V (Thomas Pynchon), Vineland, A Scanner Darkly, back of my fucking hand.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

A Scanner Darkly?

Is it good ?
Avulsion
imanewbie

Post by Avulsion »

I don't want to form an opinion until I have completed it. But what I can conclude so far, is that it is worth reading.
ZoddsNo1Fan
This is my new home

Post by ZoddsNo1Fan »

Just finished reading Dragon Lance: dragons of winter night. Reading bullet proof/the total money makover/the will of god as a way of life. All good books.
MournfulWoods
This is my new home

Post by MournfulWoods »

I've recently finished Moby Dick and it's the best book I've read. I've started Jules Verne's voyage au centre de la terre and then I'll go with Mary Shelly's Frankenstein.
http://backalleybazaar.wordpress.com
arke
Beware my tactical spam

Post by arke »

Libaax wrote:A Scanner Darkly?

Is it good ?
I thought it was good if a bit depressing. The movie, IMO, does the book justice, if you like watching adaptations.