Superhero comics and other comics.

Way off-topic, and allowed! General discussions on anything and everything.

Moderator: EG Members

Femto
Devourer of Children

Re: Superhero comics and other comics.

Post by Femto »

Tempest wrote:This issue made me kind of hate Bart, he came off as a pretentious little shit.
A little.

But it also shows just how much respect he's gained for Wally.

His last line also leads me to believe that he's a little bitter because Barry made it back but Max Mercury, who was perhaps more of a mentor than even Wally, didn't.

I think Geoff Johns is writing Bart as if he were us, and by "us" I mean the people who grew up with Wally as the Flash and feel indifferent towards Barry. I love Barry but there's a part of me does want Wally to "stay on top" and I think Johns is using Bart as a vehicle for dealing with that issue directly. He did something similar with a few of Superboy Prime's lines where he talks like angry DC message boards dorks, i.e. "Aquaman doesn't have a sword, that's stupid." It's Geoff addressing his fans directly and I think Bart is meant to talk to that particular group of people, those who want Wally as the Flash. That Johns dude is a smart fellow like that.

My predictions?

Max Mercury escapes and suddenly Bart has no reason to be bitter towards Barry anymore. Then Barry does something awesome that gains Bart's full respect, along with the respect of all the fans that feel indifferent towards him.

That's Geoff Johns 101 right there.

He makes you fall in love with his characters.
Tempest
Dirty Sennin

Post by Tempest »

Femto wrote:
Then Barry does something awesome that gains Bart's full respect, along with the respect of all the fans that feel indifferent towards him.

But there's no Batman for him to knock down with one punch!
ImageImage
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

I have a theory on Flash: Rebirth.

Bare with me.

Geoff Johns has stated that, in Rebirth, he's finally going to define just what exactly the Speed Force is. We know that it's an extradimensional something that speedsters "tap" into to gain speeds around or faster than light speed. Johns has also said that he's planning to expand on this concept similar to what he did with the emotional spectrum in Green Lantern: Rebirth. I immediately assumed that he's going to introduce other "forces" to go along with the Speed Force and I've come to believe that he's going to introduce at least two more of these to the Flash mythos.

The first hint I got to support this was back in Rogues' Revenge. We know for a fact that the Modern Age Zoom, Hunter Zolomon, doesn't tap into the Speed Force (proven when Wally and Jay were unable to drain his speed during their first encounter with him), that his powers are time-based. Jay Garrick's theory from back in Blitz was that, while Zoom can only go forward in time, he's not locked down to any single speed and that's why, to us, he just seems to be moving really fast. I have come to believe that Hunter Zolomon taps into another force separate from the Speed Force, a "Time Force" if you will. I came to this conclusion when, in Rogues' Revenge, Zoom is training Inertia and he tells him to listen to his "internal clock" which Inertia manages to do successfully after which he gains powers similar to Zoom's. Zoom was teaching Inertia, perhaps unbeknownst to both, how to tap into this Time Force.

The second Force I think is going to be introduced is that of sound. I didn't initially have anything to support this "Sound Force" theory other than one of the lines in the very first page of Flash: Rebirth wherein a mysterious narrator (who seems to be omniscient) talks about "those who would shatter the speed of sound, light and time." I figured, you know, Johns doesn't throw shit randomly on the page so if light is Barry/Wally/etc. and time is Zoom/Inertia, then maybe sound is a third force that is being introduced here. I thought it was a plausible theory but I didn't really have any evidence to support it, not until I heard the newest Word Balloon with Ethan Van Sciver. John Siuntres, the interviewer, mentions how interesting the way Van Sciver has chosen to represent Barry and Jay's speed in different ways is and then Van Sciver says that, and this is not verbatim, there's some significance to Jay's retelling of his first meeting with Barry and that it will be expanded upon later on. Now, in the book, Jay says that he couldn't run faster than the speed of sound but that, after meeting Barry for the first time, he "ran twenty times the speed of sound." So yeah, Jay was tapping into a "Sound Force" at first and later learned how to tap into the Speed Force after meeting Barry. Van Sciver also points out that, when Jay's running at the speed of sound, there is no lightning around him but, when racing Barry at speeds faster than sound, the token Flash lightning is in full effect.

It could be that they're all different aspects of the same force but that's my theory: a Sound, a Speed/Light and a Time Force.

And I'm sticking to it.

Nobody will read this.

EDIT: I also just remembered that, when Bart took the Speed Force inside himself during Infinite Crisis, Jay was only able to run up to the speed of sound perhaps because, even though the Speed Force was gone, a Sound Force migth've still been in effect.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

I read it, but I only know a little bit about The Flash, but I like the concept of the flash a lot. I've always wondered, if the Flash can move faster than light (which I understand he doesn't do very often), is he able to travel through time? If so, can he only move forwards, or can he go back in time as well, and if so, how exactly does that work? Running backwards to go back in time sounds retarded, IMO. Finally, how can the flash move at light speed without destroying everything he touches? I know he can vibrate his atoms or whatever to phase through matter, but wouldn't the ground still be destroyed in his wake? Well, I heard the Flash ignores some real-world physics. Is that all it is? I'd prefer that they try to give at least some explanation for these types of things, but it's a comic so I guess it's whatever. *shrugs*
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

The Flash can time travel if he runs fast enough but it's not an exact science and, without the help of the cosmic treadmill, those running faster than the speed of light can end up decades or even centuries before/after their target time, just like Professor Zoom did in The Return of Barry Allen (he wanted to get to Barry's time but arrived when Wally was the Flash).

As for relativistic effects taking place when the Flash runs at the speed of light?

"The Speed Force keeps everything in check."

That's verbatim.

I think Wally said that.

It's a bullshit answer but it's better than nothing.

The Flash is awesome because a man running faster than the speed of light is an almost abstract concept that can only work in comic books.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Yeah, the fact that he can move that fast makes him stronger than Superman even. I mean, can you imagine the force behind say, a lightspeed punch. It's absurb. Anyway, thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. As for the Speed Force keeping things in check, I can deal with that I guess. I read lots of manga, I've gotten used to these kind of things, heh. Yeah, it's better than no explanation at all at least.

Another question, does anyone traveling faster than the speed of light always travel through time, or is it something you have to do on purpose? I would assume that breaching light speed would automatically trigger time travel, but I don't know how the comic works.
Tempest
Dirty Sennin

Post by Tempest »

Starnum wrote:Yeah, the fact that he can move that fast makes him stronger than Superman even. I mean, can you imagine the force behind say, a lightspeed punch. It's absurb.
Some Dude, Somewhere wrote:Now, I don't know how many of you dogs of the scurviest sea read comics, but I do a big pile of comics. One thing that blows my mind is how completely insane the powers in the DC universe are. Look at Superman. This guy has more powers than French restaurants have ways to say "your taste in wine is atrocious". He has powers to do with every part of his body and then some. He forgets powers sometimes. He can shoot heat rays out of his eyes, frost breath from his mouth and red son radiation from his ass. He's that sort of crazy dude. All because he absorbs solar radiation.

Look at Batman. His power? The anti-power. Sure, he should be some tame, kung fun master of not much, but instead he's the hottest shit to ever shit on a plate. You got a power? He'll find your weakness and give you seizures or heart attacks. He'll light you on fire when you're sleeping or make you recharge your green lantern ring in the power outlet. Ten thousand volts of fuck you batman. That's Batman.

But the fucking Flash, my god, my FUCKING GOD, this man has the greatest powers of all. If Superman's powers are being sucked off by twin super models and batman coming home to discover your wife is not only bisexual but has two friends she wants you to 'get in on' then the Flash is an orgy with a thousand women who also want to pay your World of Warcraft billing. And click the mouse for you. This man is just that fucking hot. They have to power him down in the comics half the time just to keep him from doing everyone else's job.

Ok first off, he can travel at lightspeed. Mother fuck! Not only does he travel at lightspeed, but time slows down for him. So he feels like he's having a casual jog or reading the paper, meanwhile, his feet are moving so fast you can hear him coming from Montana while he's already gotten to Arizona. That's fucking fast. But wait! The ability to move at Lightspeed just isn't fucking enough!

I know! Christ this guy can punch you so many times in a second you've been hit five times in the cock and two times everywhere else. You think you're about to fight the Flash and then it hits you, for the last split second he's beaned your beanbags with more blows than you had sperm. But no, there's more!

The Flash can also vibrate through walls. Now last I heard, you can not move so fast you can vibrate through walls, so what actually happens is the Flash is so fast he can pick and choose the movement of his individual molecules and move them through other solid objects, phasing through solid matter like it ain't no thing. I mean you think a guy who runs at lightspeed would run into shit but no, the Flash just goes right through them. To top that with a cherry and some whipped cream (which the Flash made in like a millisecond, fucker) he can selectively choose to cause objects to be "okay" afterwards or FUCKING EXPLODE. That's right. He can run through you and make you blow up by transfering kinetic energy into you. Like Jesus. IT's bad enough you can't hit this guy, but he doesn't even have to punch you. Now your testicles have exploded and you're thinking you're about to hit him. Jesus? Just give it up. He's the fucking Flash.

Now imagine that somehow there's someone who can get around the Flash blowing your balls up secret ninja technique. Ok. He can also control the flow of energy between objects. This power makes no sense but basically he can throw a rock at you, and you think it's going slow and then he's like WHOOHOOO WIZARDLY FLASH POWERS and bam it's going at lightspeed. So he can throw seven million rocks at you in a second then make them all goes different speeds thus striking your nads with seven million rocks one after the other.

But wait! There's more! He can also take energy from the very power of speed and make clothes out of it. Yes. Flash makes his pants out of GOES FAST. The man is so fast he can make Flash pants that GOES FAST go right into. I don't even start to understand the physics of that but basically SPEED == REALLY TIGHT UNDERWEAR AND COOL LIGHTNING THINGIES OVER THE EAR. You would think this is the end of it but ok let's say Flash is fighting Superman and shit he's going to lose and FUCK how is Superman THIS fucking strong? I don't know he must be Superman fused with Batman into some sort of guy with tons of plans on how to punch you far harder than anyone else ok to end it off the Flash can GO BACK OR FORWARD IN TIME ON COMMAND.

How do you beat this dude? You're thinking you're hashing him good, laying down the beatdown, missing your balls and suddenly BAM YOUR MOM FELL DOWN THE STAIRS TWENTY YEARS AGO and there's a dent in your forehead and Superman not thunk so gud no more. Actually she didn't fall down the stairs the Flash put speed into them so they fell up her! Fuck you Flash! You moved the stairs to Soviet fucking russia! RUSH-A! Bitch.

Oh, and lastly his greatest power is he isn't fast in bed. He takes it slow and gets all the ladies with his superpowers then actually satisfies them in the sack. Who the Hell is this guy? You'd think he could AT LEAST be a premature ejaculator since his penis is moving at lightspeed but NOOOO he's even good in bed.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is why Wolverine sucks cock and should go die in a freak greasefire.
Starnum wrote:
Another question, does anyone traveling faster than the speed of light always travel through time, or is it something you have to do on purpose? I would assume that breaching light speed would automatically trigger time travel, but I don't know how the comic works.
Essentially, yes, a speedster can travel faster than light and still stay in our time if he chooses because of the Speed Force. Essentially if you have any questions about physics or time or anything related to super-speed in the DC universe, the Speed Force has, at least until now, been an kind of umbrella term/concept to explain it easily.
ImageImage
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

That post is why I love DC.

A huge chunk of their characters are extremely overpowered.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Heh, yeah. I've seen that before but it's still awesome.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

The last issue of 100 Bullets comes out today.

I'm gonna cry.
MournfulWoods
This is my new home

Post by MournfulWoods »

Black Summer by Warren Ellis : Cool. Warren Ellis, you know.
A Drifting Life by Yoshihiro Tatsumi: One big book of 800 pages, autobiography of a manga artist who's said to be the grandfather of alternative comics. Good but would rather suggest reading his other 'Drawn and Quarterly' releases (The Pushman and other stories, abandon the old in tokyo and Goodbye)

The new Punisher serie with the guy from Fear Agent is fun.

WHAT the fuck is going on with Squadron Supreme since Howard Chaykins took over writing duties ??!?1!? Damn you Straczinsky for leaving on a Cliffhanger.
http://backalleybazaar.wordpress.com
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

So that's it.

100 Bullets is over.

The end of an era.

It was an amazing last issue.

Most characters met their poetic ends.

I'm gonna miss this series.
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

I'm rereading 100 bullets.

Anyone else liking the way dark reign is going so far? I checked out the june and july solicits and it looks like some really big things are about to take place. I really dislike how spidey is unmasking himself again, to the avengers and the Fantastic 4 and what not. I was kinda happy with that tidbit of the Mary Jane retcon, you know that no one knew who he was. * sigh* Cant win em all i guess. I do like that deadpool is getting more rotation. Marvel really knows how to milk their popular characters. I want to see BKV work on some more marvel stuff and Niel Gaiman for that matter. The "logan" miniseries by BKV with Eduardo Risso art was crackalackin, and I just reread 1602 which is "Gaimazing"(copyright pending).

Also I'm in love with Simone Bianchi's covers. I have a little bit of a collection of his work (mostly posters) I'm planning on getting some signed this upcoming comicon, and maybe buying a print.

Femto is gay

Dc is gay

That is all.
A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.
-Sir Francis Bacon, Of Atheism <---Did I make this my sig? This shits gay as fuck.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Buzkashi wrote:crackalackin
Buzkashi wrote:Gaimazing
Hahaha.

Probably my favorite member.

1602 is OK.

It is a work that was conceived more by necessity than artistic pursuit and that ultimately hurts it.
Death&Rebirth
Mastered PM

Post by Death&Rebirth »

Buzkashi wrote:I'm rereading 100 bullets.

Anyone else liking the way dark reign is going so far? I checked out the june and july solicits and it looks like some really big things are about to take place. I really dislike how spidey is unmasking himself again, to the avengers and the Fantastic 4 and what not. I was kinda happy with that tidbit of the Mary Jane retcon, you know that no one knew who he was. * sigh* Cant win em all i guess. I do like that deadpool is getting more rotation. Marvel really knows how to milk their popular characters. I want to see BKV work on some more marvel stuff and Niel Gaiman for that matter. The "logan" miniseries by BKV with Eduardo Risso art was crackalackin, and I just reread 1602 which is "Gaimazing"(copyright pending).

Also I'm in love with Simone Bianchi's covers. I have a little bit of a collection of his work (mostly posters) I'm planning on getting some signed this upcoming comicon, and maybe buying a print.

Femto is gay

Dc is gay

That is all.
Deadpool is twitching my funny side. Since Cpt. Marvel (Genis/R. Jones "team-up" era) that i didn't find a marvel title so provocative funny. Dark Reign isn't starting bad, but still, i finding once again lost in this maze of super-arcs upon super-arcs. And in the end we will learn that this was also premeditate. Until now, only World War Hulk (being Planet Hulk awesome in every level) make me happy and eager to follow. All the rest was slow and futile.
Marvel has a few titles worth follow, the rest you can browse and turn away. Also the constant swapping on the creative team it's a turn-off. It's fun on one-shots or mini-series, but on a long and established title it's distracting and affects really the flow of the storytelling and character-wise.
Never liked The Ultimates. Ultimate Spider-Man was good, but lately it's loosing it's power. The same with Ultimate X-men (becoming more emo than goth kids seeing Death Note). Ultimate FF it's average at most. Ultimatum it's brain damaging (Thank you Marvel).

By the way, not Hero-like and a bit old, but marvel released a comic adaptation of Hedge Knight (II) by George R. R. Martin. And, although it isn't comic, following religiously Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire and Simon Scarrow's roman epic Eagle Series.

Need to get me some 100 bullets. Anyone knows when the TPB vol13 comes out?
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Death&Rebirth wrote:Need to get me some 100 bullets. Anyone knows when the TPB vol13 comes out?
It's dated for July on DC's website.
Tempest
Dirty Sennin

Post by Tempest »

So apparently, for free comic day DC sent out "Blackest Night #0" which was to introduce people to the different corps, their important members, the powers/weaknesses of their rings, etc; and apparently they fucked up on the symbol on for Sinestro Corps, putting the Blue Lantern symbol (Which was on the very next page) in it's place.

Strong work there, fellas.

I guess only Femto would find this even remotely interesting.
ImageImage
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

I actually don't find that interesting at all.

Barry Allen's shirt changed from white to red halfway through Flash: Rebirth #1.

Oohh! Mistake!

Who gives a fuck?

Seriously.
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

Shut down :kekeke:
A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.
-Sir Francis Bacon, Of Atheism <---Did I make this my sig? This shits gay as fuck.
MournfulWoods
This is my new home

Post by MournfulWoods »

I aggree with you, Buzkashi.

Much Love to BKV, Simone Bianchi (warren Ellis +Simone Bianchi on Astonishing X-Men, need to read that soon) and Gaiman. I think I liked 1602 Fantastic Four better than 1602. But that's because of Dr.Doom.

I ordered the Logan HC by BKV ages ago and it still hasn't arrived at the comic book store, my cousin ordered it two weeks ago in softcover and he already received it. Can't wait to read it. Y The Last Man Vol2 Deluxe HC should arrive soon too and his RUNAWAYS run is good. Molly punching Wolverine was awesome.
http://backalleybazaar.wordpress.com
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

You guys should check out the Popgun volumes.

Like, actually go out and buy them.

It's thirty bucks for about 450 pages of 1-10+ page short stories of whatever the hell each creator wants to make it about.

It's advertised as a graphic mix tape and it contains everything from robots and zombies and lucha libre and comedy and pretentiousness to the whimsy and detectives stories and ninjas and death and silent stories, etc, etc, etc, each done in a completely different art style.

Not every story is a winner but the sheer variety here will blow your mind.

Go out and buy it.

Seriously.

I'd also like to take this opportunity to wax poetic on the cover of Green Lantern #44 (here) which features Barry Allen and Hal Jordan fighting Black Lantern Martian Manhunter over Bruce Wayne's grave.

Here we have two heroes who have come back from the dead fighting a 3rd hero who is dead (who also happens to be powered by the color of death) fighting over the grave of a 4th hero who everybody thinks is dead but might, in reality, still alive be somewhere or sometime.

As I try to wrap my head around all the symbolism in that cover and how heavy the ultimate concept of death behind it is and how it still manages to be exciting and tense and how those serious themes contrast with the two brightly colored heroes on the cover I come to the realization that this is why I love superhero comics.

No other medium can pull this kind of shit.

It's my new wallpaper.
Tempest
Dirty Sennin

Post by Tempest »

I just read Final Crisis: Legion of Three Worlds #4...

ImageImage
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

I guess Geoff Johns is using Legion of 3 Worlds to fix all the bad decisions that have been made after Infinite Crisis.

Still awesome though.
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

I hope doom becomes the sorcerer supreme.
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

Femto wrote:I guess Geoff Johns is using Legion of 3 Worlds to fix all the bad decisions that have been made after Infinite Crisis.

Still awesome though.
I do agree. So Geoff Johns overturns all the bad editorial decisions. How does DC editorial work?

Also, while I do like seeing Connor and Bart, how does actually recruiting them help with fighting Prime? Bart I can understand to some extent, but Connor? Hmph. Not too logical, but anyway, still fun.

It would be quite interesting if Doom becomes Sorcerer Supreme. That would be quite a twist, since the current story is focused on the Hood. I wouldn't mind if it was a completely new character though, gives the writer more room to maneuver (but with Bendis, everyone has the same template characterisation).

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am