Superhero comics and other comics.

Way off-topic, and allowed! General discussions on anything and everything.

Moderator: EG Members

Femto
Devourer of Children

Re: Superhero comics and other comics.

Post by Femto »

Apparently, Barry Allen was supposed to resume the mantle of the Flash during Infinite Crisis but because of timing issues and what have you, they stuck Bart Allen in the role.

Either way, thank god they brought him back.

Can't wait for Flash: Rebirth.

Four generations of Flashes running around.

Awesome.
Tempest
Dirty Sennin

Post by Tempest »

Eldo wrote: Also, the last Final Crisis issue gave me a 'what the fuck' moment because I had no idea what the hell was going on. Same with Superman Beyond. Really, what is going on?
Grant Morrison is slowly and tenderly massaging your brain with LSD covered fingers.
ImageImage
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

I find it difficult to comment on Final Crisis #7 right now.

I want to read the whole story from beginning to end to see if I get a better grasp of it as a whole.

At this point, I'm thinking Grant Morrison is a great idea guy but not the best storyteller.

The last page was awesome though.
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

Because matter+antimatter=giant robot.

His style of writing is starting to get on my nerves a bit. Oh, that might be the LSD though.

I agree that Morrison has great ideas, and needs someone like Geoff Johns to distill them. Not every writer could get Morrison's ideas and write them out. But with Final Crisis, it was quite epic. I think it was because of that, the ending seemed all messed up. And since they replicated the Miracle Machine, isn't Superman a douche not to bring back Batman? I mean, the machine can do whatever Superman wishes, right? The problem with Morrison is that his writing is messed up, and sometimes things happen...abruptly, and without explanation. Or maybe it was explained, but in a one liner that absolutely makes no sense. But oh well, people will still lick his feet and say what a great thing he's doing and whatever. RIP to me, was quite ultimately inconsequential.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

So I went to the NY Comic Con today.

I shook Geoff Johns' hand.

Totally a nerdgasm moment.

I also may or may not spend $500 on an original piece of artwork of Johns' Flash run by Howard Porter.

There's a bunch of Ivan Reis stuff for sale too.

The George Perez stuff available is as recent as Legion of 3 Worlds #2.

They have the last page with Sodam Yat.

Bagley has a shitload of pages.

Decisions, decisions.
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

What do you guys think of Marvel Ultimate?

Are the Ultimate titles worth getting into? And if so where should i start off? I'm thinking maybe with spider-man.
A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.
-Sir Francis Bacon, Of Atheism <---Did I make this my sig? This shits gay as fuck.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Just get Ultimates 1 and 2 and then wait for Ultimate Wolverine vs. Hulk.
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

Ultimate Spiderman is probably the best Ultimate title that has maintained consistent quality throughout the issues.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

No x-men?
A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.
-Sir Francis Bacon, Of Atheism <---Did I make this my sig? This shits gay as fuck.
Tempest
Dirty Sennin

Post by Tempest »

Buzkashi wrote:No x-men?

It gets kinda flaky. There was some stuff about it I liked, but the teen angst and after school show approach to some of the themes (drugs are bad m'kay?) gets irritating.

I thought Ultimate Fantastic Four was pretty interesting, at least Millar and Carey's runs on it.

Never, EVER, under any circumstance should you read Ultimates 3 or Ultimatum. You will become physically ill. Feel free to read the Wikipedia pages on them or ask someone to give the highlights, that way you only have a little taste of the pure shit Loeb shoveled into these things.
ImageImage
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

I'm reading spider-man right now. I'm around issue 30 or so. Should I start reading ultimates?
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

I don't care how old it is, Preacher is awesome, I just finished reading it. Can't wait to find more stuff by Garth Ennis.
Audentis Fortuna Juvet - Virgil
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

I feel like I'm missing alot of info in the Ultimate. One second I thought Norman Osborne is dead the next hes attacking the Shield Base. I'm on the Symbiote Wars arch in Ultimate Spider-man. I've yet to read any ultimate crossover. Should I be reading Ultimates 1& 2 yet? Universe
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

Ultimates are pretty much self contained in terms of story. There are some other titles like Ultimate Origins and Ultimate Secret and other stuff that are an extension of some titles. There is a story about Osborn recruiting other villains to fight Spider-Man that happened in another mini-series and not in the main book, if I recall correctly.

And just a word on Ultimates, Millar's launch was pretty entertaining, and Brian K Vaughn's story is very enjoyable. I think it goes downhill when Robert Kirkman wrote the book. The guy's great at his own titles, but when it came to X-Men, it really didn't hit the mark for me. The Ultimate universe was a fresh take on the 616, introducing new concepts and ideas, but under Kirkman, it was more like a rehash of the old ideas in different clothing. And his writing style did not suit Ultimate X-Men at all.

I have to agree on Ultimates 3 and Ultimatum. It's horrendously bad.

nroejb
imanewbie

Post by nroejb »

Superhero Comics are not my expertise, but If someone wants to read really good European comics,
he should try either of these two:
Yoko Tsuno a comic about a Japanese electrical engineering technician living in Belgium, which includes realistic murder mystery, as well as timetravel and outer space Scince fiction storys. (the author was a assistant artist of The Adventures of Tintin, drawing machines, planes and stuff)
There are 23 volumes so far, and as the author is pretty old, I doubt there will be much more.
Sillage a comic about a jung woman raised by a robot and a cat of prey on an uninhabitated jungle planet until she joins a huge space ship convoy state of different alien civilisations, forced to deal as one of their agents with harsh foreign policy and political intrigues, searching for clues of her own origin.
10 volumes ongoing

But be cautious, both have rather mild violence compared to most of the Evil_Genius translated series.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Flash: Rebirth #1 comes out this week.

I will most likely jizz myself repeatedly upon reading it.
Tempest
Dirty Sennin

Post by Tempest »

Femto wrote:Flash: Rebirth #1 comes out this week.

I will most likely jizz myself repeatedly upon reading it.
The teaser image where Jay Garrick says "Barry Allen taught me how to be The Flash" kind of turned me off to it. I mean, I shrugged off the bitching about Johns doing character humping in Green Lantern: Rebirth and the latest volume of GL, but that line just goes over the top. I'm still looking forward to reading it, though.
ImageImage
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Jay was referring to Barry pulling him out of retirement.

Barry Allen in awesome.
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

DC is gay.

Anyways. When I found out that Scarlet Witch was loki... I jizzed .... in my pants!
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Marvel is boring.
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

Oh dear, not the whole Marvel VS DC again.

Let's make a compromise.

Image is quite interesting. Anyone read the latest issue of Invincible?

Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Eldo wrote:Image is quite interesting. Anyone read the latest issue of Invincible?
I just wait for the trades.

I think the last issue of 100 Bullets comes out this month.

I'll probably cry when it's all over.
fujinsan
Flexing spam muscles

Post by fujinsan »

Femto wrote:Marvel is boring.
Agreed, Dc till death, but the new hulk and iron man movies were good.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

So.

Flash: Rebirth #1 was awesome.

More of a setup issue and less action packed than Green Lantern: Rebirth #1 was but, then again, I read the latter as a trade so I may be talking bullshit.

Johns seems to be working Barry like he did Hal, i.e. expanding on the speed force, giving him a single strong, defining character trait (Barry's instinctual knowledge of right or wrong perhaps) and a tragic past. It's kinda weird when you think of just how long Barry Allen has been gone and how he missed most of what the others heroes went through during the modern age but it seems Johns is keen on getting him up to speed, or at least making that very issue a part of his character arc.

Theories/questions: Has Barry Allen been chosen to be the new Black Flash by the speed force? Was that an embodiment of the speed force at the beginning of the issue? It's sentient now?

Also worth mentioning is Ethan Van Sciver's art.

My god.

When I read the Comic Con preview for some reason I didn't think it measured up to his work in the Sinestro Corps Special.

Have I ever been wrong.

This guy is fucking amazing.

Best contemporary comic book artist.

And that's my mini review.

Read that shit, bitches.
Tempest
Dirty Sennin

Post by Tempest »

This issue made me kind of hate Bart, he came off as a pretentious little shit.
ImageImage