Superhero comics and other comics.

Way off-topic, and allowed! General discussions on anything and everything.

Moderator: EG Members

Libaax
Of The Abyss

Superhero comics and other comics.

Post by Libaax »

Instead of ruining the X-men trailer thread here we can talk about comics.

Talk about any comics you like or dont like or whatever.
The ink of a scholar is worth a thousand times more than the blood of the martyr- The Quran
Tempest
Dirty Sennin

Post by Tempest »

Anyone who knows X-Men or any comics in general will enjoy the work of this guy I found on Newgrounds:

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view.php?id=218160

The box in the upper left has all his info, and click on "Profile" and you can see a list of his work. Everything past this one is comic related.

What I really like about this guy's work is that not only is it funny to people who just know the basics about the X-Men or any comics (He does on on DC too), it also has jokes that readers can get (Like how in "Dark Phoenix Rising" when the X-Men split into 3 teams, Wolverine is put in all 3 and has to run between them, a play on the fact that he is in all the current X-Men incarnations, unlike any other X-Man). The actual Canadian accent Wolverine gets is priceless.
ImageImage
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Heh something to read when im not as noob in xmen.
The ink of a scholar is worth a thousand times more than the blood of the martyr- The Quran
halfnhalf
Conversation Killer

Post by halfnhalf »

Wild C.a.t.s. Dead pool, punisher, fantastic 4, spawn.. the list goes on. Just start picking up on the reading of where it is at right now, you wont miss too much, and going back for comics is pretty hard.

I love all the early 90's Image stuff. And if you havent yet, go read Sin City, and if you did go read Frank Miller's Dark Night.

for the X-men... its been around for soooooooooo long and old, so i doubt you get something from the beginning. Just go and get the Uncanny X-men and you'll be fine.
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

I tried to read Spawn once, leeched a quite large amount of issues. I liked it at first, but then the problem that plagues all western comics to an extent, and superhero comics to an extreme, became apparent; change.
Or rather, the lack of it. X-men and Spiderman, not to mention Superman and Batman have been running forever, and they are still essentially the same as they were in the first issue. The Phantom will always be the 21st in his lineage, et cetera. Even in Sandman, which basically revolves around Morpheus and how he changes/has changed, the pacing is a disaster.

While american comics have their charm, I prefer manga simply because of the narrative.
"I love a buz" - LordMune, 2012
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Halfnhalf:

I am reading Uncanny X-men right now its pretty good.

Spawn i like the old ones i have bought some new ones with the diffrent Spawn and everything i dont like it.

SC i have only The Yellow Bastard and To Hell and Back left to get.

Im a big fan of Frank Miller after reading SC,i plan to read his other work after SC.
Last edited by Libaax on Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Khelegond
Flexing spam muscles

Post by Khelegond »

I like the old comics. Everything drawn by John Romita Jr, like the beggining of Daredevil is great. Kingdom Come is awesome, and the very beggining of Spawn and Darkness is cool too.

Oh, of course, Frank Miller is a god. Simply put. Drawing or writing, everything the man touches is gold. Anyone read the "League of the Extraordinary Gentlemen"? (not sure of the spelling) Awesome work by writer Alan Moore - another genius.

Alan Moore + Alex Ross = perfect team (Kingdom Come is an example).

I never collected X-Men, Superman, or everything else. I rather enjoy small series. Oh, search around for "Fables". It's a story in our world, where all characters from the fairy tales are here, but with...let me say, diferent "aproach". The Big Bad Wolf is a werewolf, and they call him Bigby Wolf (Big B. Wolf) ;)
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Frank Miller and Mike Mignolia are the best in my eyes.

League of the Extraordinary Gentlemen i have seen in the store several times.

Hm this Fables sounds interesting.

I was about to download Kingdom Come before, what is about again?
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Mune is crazy for saying that Sandman has bad pacing.

Sandman Rules.

This is a good thread.
Messatsu
This is my new home

Post by Messatsu »

I kinda liked deadpool just for the fact that he was the only hero to be aware of the 4th wall. Ive also read Watchmen and the dark knigth returns. But aside from that i cant bring myself to read current comics or restart old series like x-men or spidey. Im currently trying to find sandman comics.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

You looking for torrents of Sandman? I can hook you with up one.

Femto: I thought it was time for a new thread that didnt die very fast or was only spam.
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

In terms of story, I think Marvel Comics does a terrible job at it's major titles, namely X-Men. The only thing that keeps me reading is, because they are FUCKING X-MEN. Oh, and it's a piece of entertainment as well.

I can name lotta of things that's lacking in the Deadpool plotline, and if it wasn't for the humour, I would have dismissed as the shit category already. The only things that I found interesting about X-Men is the discrimination between humans and mutants, the mutant relationships, and...well, not much really. Story's terrible.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

I havent read much Xmen yet so i dont know about the story but as you said the fact they are X-men makes me wanna read the books even if the story is sometimes terrible as you say. There are so many characters that interest me.

The racism thing beteween Humans and Mutants is what drew me to reading the comics after i saw the movies.

Its interesting in The Uncanny X-men people adore x-men,that will change in the future to say the least.

The best thing about X-men and Marvel in general is that the world is very interesting plus so many interesting characters.
Tempest
Dirty Sennin

Post by Tempest »

The Top Ten Villainious Moments in Comics as done by IGN.

Note: There are some spoilers, so watch out. If anyone wants them listed in a kind of un-spoiling way (without explainations or worded differently) I guess we could do that.

There are some pretty good moments on here. I kinda call BS on it though for not even mentioning Infinity Gauntlet on there. Thanos killed half the fucking universe. That's pretty evil if you ask me.
Last edited by Tempest on Wed Dec 14, 2005 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

I think you should mention that there are spoilers on that link, Tempest.

But yeah, I would've cried if they hadn't put Watchmen on that list.

Infinity Gauntlet was alright.

It was all show and little substance.

It was cool up to a certain point, but how Thanos lost the Gauntlet left a bitter taste in my mouth and the explanation for that even more so.

I never read the last chapter because of that.
Tempest
Dirty Sennin

Post by Tempest »

Well, I thought that anyone who was reading it would either:

a.) Have read or known most of those moments anyway
or
b.) Assume that there would be some spoilers, since naming the incidents themselves is a pretty big spoiler.

I enjoyed Infinity Gauntlet, but yeah, I did think how Thanos lost it was kinda weak. But it proved entertaining nonetheless for me.
ImageImage
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

I was just mentioning that spoilers thing because of Watchmen.

I get the impression that a lot of people haven't read it and it'd be a shame to spoil that.

But yeah, most of the stuff on that list is pretty common knowledge.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

I hadn't even heard the name Watchmen before you mentioned it.

Infinity Gountlet is it X-men or a Marvel comic or something else?
halfnhalf
Conversation Killer

Post by halfnhalf »

Libaax wrote:I hadn't even heard the name Watchmen before you mentioned it.

Its beyond what most people could comprehend, seriously i mean it.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Watchmen?

Really is that so, i have to check whats its about without reading spoilers or read the first book.
Tempest
Dirty Sennin

Post by Tempest »

halfnhalf wrote:
Libaax wrote:I hadn't even heard the name Watchmen before you mentioned it.

Its beyond what most people could comprehend, seriously i mean it.
:LOL: It really is.

Infinity Gauntlet is pretty much an entire Marvel thing. It continues Infintiy Quest, which documents how Thanos got the Gauntlet. The Infinity Gauntlet series deals with how he uses it and then the way all the Marvel heros try and stop him.
ImageImage
halfnhalf
Conversation Killer

Post by halfnhalf »

Adam Warlock...

that is all i have to say.
isse-pisse-päron-pung
Beware my tactical spam

Post by isse-pisse-päron-pung »

carl barks \/
~\\¨~¨ ;;-_x
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

I am currently reading Watchmen. After all I've heard about it (well, Femto has mentioned it on at least a couple of occasions), it'd better be good.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Remember to let me know what its about without telling too much.

Im so curious about it.