Superhero comics and other comics.

Way off-topic, and allowed! General discussions on anything and everything.

Moderator: EG Members

Femto
Devourer of Children

Re: Superhero comics and other comics.

Post by Femto »

Holy shit, it's been Bruce Wayne's skull Black Hand's been holding all this time.

The Flash: Rebirth #2 = I called it.
Tempest
Dirty Sennin

Post by Tempest »

Femto wrote:Holy shit, it's been Bruce Wayne's skull Black Hand's been holding all this time.
What? Where?

Femto wrote:The Flash: Rebirth #2 = I called it.
'Sho enough you did. Should I be giving two shits about the guy with the mask and his disciple who were killed? I never really read much of The Flash, so I don't know if they were big villains or not.

Also, there is a definite lack of Rogues in this series so far. I mean, I know it's all about learning the how and why of Barry and the Speed Force, but I should hope that we get to see some more of Johns' writing the Rouges because Rouges' Revenge was so awesome.
ImageImage
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Tempest wrote:What? Where?
Blackest Night #0.

After Hal and Barry leave Bruce's grave, Black Hand says "Yes. This one." and proceeds to dig up a skull from an unmarked grave (Bruce's grave was unmarked according to Barry) that looks exactly like the one next to Thomas and Martha Wayne shown in the first page.

The second issue of Rebirth was rather slow.

Johns is obviously trying to flesh out Barry's background but I hope the series picks up after the next issue because not much happened in the last one.

I think Savitar is from Morrison and Millar's run on Flash.

I never read it (someday though) and I don't really care about him either.
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

Femto wrote:I think Savitar is from Morrison and Millar's run on Flash.

I never read it (someday though) and I don't really care about him either.
Hm, I think it's actually in Waid's run. That's the one where all the speedsters team up to fight against him. Johnny Quick became a part of the speed force as a result of that run, or was running towards the speed force or something. He always believed his formula gave him speed. Max Mercury tried to convince him otherwise. But at the end...

But Savitar was portrayed as a bad arse in Waid's run. And if I recall correctly, as a result of defeating Savitar, Wally learned some neat things about the speed force, including new ways to utilise it.

As for the Rogue's, I bet they're coming back probably in Rebirth, knowing Geoff Johns it's probably going to be in the last page of the issue as a cliffhanger.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

The alternate cover to Flash: Rebirth #3 is fantastic as is the cover to Rebirth #5, which is an awesome take on the Flash of Two Worlds cover by Infantino.

http://dcublog.dccomics.com/wp-content/ ... -cover.jpg

http://dcublog.dccomics.com/wp-content/ ... eviews.jpg

I love you, Ethan Van Sciver.

I downloaded a bunch of Silver Age Flash comics (though I'm thinking of getting those Archive editions, shelf space be damned) and I'm about to purchase the first trade of Morrison/Millar's run.

Flash fever is running high over at my end of town.
MournfulWoods
This is my new home

Post by MournfulWoods »

Ho My god. Issue number 12 of Squadron supreme by Chaykin. I feel like I've been raped. I'm so glad this is over.
http://backalleybazaar.wordpress.com
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

I've neglected this thread for a while.

I just read I Kill Giants on the subway and I nearly cried.

I also read all of Promethea and the artwork just blew my balls away.

Probably one of the few books where the artwork overtook Alan Moore's script.

Flash: Rebirth #3 kinda let me down just a bit.

[spoiler]I mean, come on. Professor Zoom? Again?[/spoiler]
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

I just read Blackest Night #1.

My god.

Half the issue is set-up but when shit starts moving it's awesome.

I've known for months that Black Lantern Martian Manhunter would be fighting Barry and Hal (it's the cover to next month's Green Lantern issue after all) but when he finally showed up it was still awesome.

[spoiler]And Johns handled Hawkman and Hawkgirl's death a gazillion times better than Morrison did.[/spoiler]

A little slow at first but we're off to a good start so far.
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

At my local library I found a compendium of X-MEN comics from the Age of Apocalypse, and now I'm hooked (again, but the last time was with the tv show so that doesn't count). I got a few questions:

1. What's the difference between Cable and Nathan Grey?
2. Is Sugarman from the realworld timeline or fucked up Apocalypse timeline?
3. Does anyone know any good X-MEN torrents or online reading sites?

My favorite part is that Magnus and Rogue get married, which would make absolutely no sense in the real timeline or in the movieverse (actually, the latter would be especially fucked up :lol: ). Also, the fact that Quicksilver is a main character has made me very excited, I was so pissed he wasn't in the movies.
Audentis Fortuna Juvet - Virgil
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

1) In the AoA universe, Nathan Grey was a product of Sinister's genetic experiment to use the material of two 'perfect' specimen (being Jean Grey and Cyclops) to create essentially a test tube baby brought up to adulthood artificially. He's essentially an analogue of Cable in the 'main' universe. There are a bunch of differences that I can't be bothered to type out, but Nathan Grey would be what Cable should have been (powers-wise) if Cable didn't have the techno-organic virus that's keeping his powers in check (it's been suggested that Cable is keeping the virus at bay subconsciously with his powers). Ironically, that might be what's keeping Cable alive, because Nathan Grey burned up and died because of his immense powers.

2) I think he was introduced in the AoA universe and then bought to the 'main' universe, along with Dark Beast.

3) Hah, nope.

As for Magnus and Rogue getting married, some writers had played around with that fact later on the series, including with a younger 'Magnus' clone called Joseph.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

From the San Diego Comic-Con:

"Another clever fan asked Johns if Krypto the Super Dog would battle Dek-Starr, the ultra-violent feline of the Red Lantern Corps. “It was supposed to be a secret, but yes,” Johns confirmed to huge applause."

Blackest Night = Greatest crossover ever made.

The ending to Legion of 3 Worlds = Also awesome.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Im trying to catch up to Batman comics, i was bored and stopped reading GM Batman run just before RIP. Any who can in few words explain how Batman died,black han or glove something,RIP stuff.

I only understand the third Batman thing since i enjoyed reading Azrael mini,new character Lane. Fabian and Frazer Irving was a very nice ,surprisingly good combo.
The ink of a scholar is worth a thousand times more than the blood of the martyr- The Quran
Tempest
Dirty Sennin

Post by Tempest »

Libaax wrote:Im trying to catch up to Batman comics, i was bored and stopped reading GM Batman run just before RIP. Any who can in few words explain how Batman died,black han or glove something,RIP stuff.
I was about to, but honestly, it would take about the same time to actually read it than to try and explain it all.

Legion of Three World's ending officially blew my mind.
ImageImage
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Tempest wrote:
Libaax wrote:Im trying to catch up to Batman comics, i was bored and stopped reading GM Batman run just before RIP. Any who can in few words explain how Batman died,black han or glove something,RIP stuff.
I was about to, but honestly, it would take about the same time to actually read it than to try and explain it all.

Legion of Three World's ending officially blew my mind.
Nah i tried reading Batman death,arc and everything but i didnt understand anything when it was in the middle or end of a long story.

I have to wiki it up, i enjoy some of the new book of Bat family.

Funny how i dont care about Batman so called important story while i enjoyed reading Cap America volume where he died and i actually cared,felt his death. I wasnt even a fan before Brubaker,Winter Soldier thing.

Morrison in superhero form is ruined for me, he will be the guy that put me off Batman for two years....
The ink of a scholar is worth a thousand times more than the blood of the martyr- The Quran
Tempest
Dirty Sennin

Post by Tempest »

Libaax wrote: Morrison in superhero form is ruined for me, he will be the guy that put me off Batman for two years....
Bah, start reading "Batman and Robin" and he'll quickly become the guy who turned you on to Dick

...Grayson.

On Blackest Night:

[spoiler]I don't know why, but seeing Ralph and Sue Dibny as Black Lanterns really threw me for a loop. I mean, I knew they were both dead, I just didn't think they were going to be used anymore. And that being BLs would make them such total assholes.[/spoiler]
ImageImage
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Thats only reason i will try Batman and Robin. Dick is as big fav of mine as Batman. When he has a cool series like Dixon/MacDaniel days i can even like him more than Batman.

But im not in a hurry im enjoying new series like Greek Street,Unknown Soldier. Mini series like Incognito, I AM Legion,The Killer.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Tempest wrote:[spoiler]I don't know why, but seeing Ralph and Sue Dibny as Black Lanterns really threw me for a loop. I mean, I knew they were both dead, I just didn't think they were going to be used anymore. And that being BLs would make them such total assholes.[/spoiler]
[spoiler]Elongated Man taunting Hawkman as he beat the crap out of him was so horrifying.[/spoiler]
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

I'd just like to say that this week's Flash strip in Wednesday comics was fantastic.

Definitely the best strip on it followed by Hawkman, Kamandi and Strange Adventures.