Movies

Way off-topic, and allowed! General discussions on anything and everything.

Moderator: EG Members

Sandman
Dirty Sennin

Re: Movies

Post by Sandman »

Grahf wrote:Was a beautiful movie that visually was faithful to source material. The plot however couldn't raise it above the white washing controversy. Hell it played into it ... But what do I know the Japanese audiences like it.

Kong and Skull Island was good. I've always been a Godzilla fan but this movie might have shifted the scales a bit. It was better than the US version of the Godzilla reboot.

Resident Evil Last chapter was trash!!!
Agree beautiful movie awesome 3d good enough acting how can you say it stayed faithful to the source material they botched the ending so that if there is a sequel Scarlet Jo could play the role again :evil: Not that I am against that just that is not how the anime played out... So I was like the manga must have been what they were basing it off, read some of the manga and that is a big no...

Kong!!!! cant wait to see the monster battle royal... I hope it works out to be amazing.

And yes I gave up hope for that series long time ago, cant believe that someone thought it would be a good Idea to finish it... maybe reboot it or something but it was fucked up from the beginning anyway... the only part I liked was that they got all the major girls together Claire, Alice, and Jill. god to see that three way would have been epic :twisted:
Thank you sir, may I have another :twisted: :whip:
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Sandman wrote:Which one was your favorite?
That's hard to say. They were all pretty good. Maybe the one about the gamer.
Grahf wrote:Resident Evil Last chapter was trash!!!
Oh man, no joke. It was down-right atrocious. I had pretty much given up on the series as well, but I figured I'd watch it online since I've already seen the rest of them. I think this was the worst one, and that's saying something. The camera-work and editing during the so-called action scenes was horrendous. Hopefully they really are done running this series into the ground. Hell, even Capcom has moved on to a new format.
Sandman
Dirty Sennin

Post by Sandman »

Starnum wrote:
Sandman wrote:Which one was your favorite?
That's hard to say. They were all pretty good. Maybe the one about the gamer.
Ah the one with the spinal nano chip thing that makes augmented reality that was pretty freaky... spider with your enemies face yeah fuck that... I would have tried to imagine a gun and shot my self :evil:

Season 4 still doesn't have a drop date as far as I know but it says later this year.
Sandman
Dirty Sennin

Post by Sandman »

So getting this Summer off with a bang:

Guardians of the Galaxy 2 was good but not better than the first one :( Funny yes but I didn't like the production of the film or that Chris Pratt's character was not as funny this go around... could have watched a whole movie of Baby Groot and Yondu thought :twisted:

Alien: Covenant was awesome.... I know I am going to get some flack over that one but I thought it was great, hope the next one ties in the other stuff they left out but all in all great film... should have been in 3D but whatever.

Now for Pirates 4... 5.... 6 I don't know I lost track :D
Texanian
notanewb

Post by Texanian »

Sandman wrote: Alien: Covenant was awesome.... I know I am going to get some flack over that one but I thought it was great, hope the next one ties in the other stuff they left out but all in all great film... should have been in 3D but whatever.
I liked the movie for not being about aliens, but more about the existence of creators and those who was created
"Then you will come to think of things in a wide sense, and taking the Void as the Way, you will thee the Way as Void.In the void is virtue, and no evil. Wisdom has existence, principle has existence,spirit is nothingness."- M.M (TBO5R)
Sandman
Dirty Sennin

Post by Sandman »

That was pretty cool although short lived... how much you wanta bet there are more of them out there looking for the black goo or still seeding worlds... military bases of them... After I watched that movie work buddy told me that an engineer ship was in the first alien movie and I didn't believe him so I had to re-watched it and sure enough there it was, so I re-watched all of them even started watching AVP to see how that all went down... hope they link the AVP world with Prometheus world so you can see the battles that take place in Life and Death or Fire and Stone comic series... here is to hoping :twisted:

Edit: Watched Wonder Woman last night and not to bad, didn't like a few things: Actress doesn't have big enough boobs :twisted: , The bad guys was poorly casted and did not like the portrayal, Her attitude during the end was lacking emotion or something, no teaser for the next installment of Justice League :evil: ... good parts: Chris Pine was great, Lasso of truth was great, time period was awesome, the beginning was good but started to drag during the end of the second act :evil:

Edit: Pirates Dead men tell no tales was ok better then the mermaid one but Johnny Depp played Jack Sparrow differently, Reminded me to much of Mad Hatter, although he was drunk thru the whole movie seemed like... Watched Mummy with Tom Cruise not bad but don't see how it will all tie together in the dark universe, boy Russell Crow got fat :twisted:
Last night watched Transformers Last Knight, I thought it was good then it took a turn for the worst at the top of the third act, no regard for continuity to the other films but still not bad, way better than Age of Extinction in my eyes... funny, way better animations, and Anthony Fucking Hopkins... there is going to be another one which from the end of this one I will probably not watch... fucking Unicron is so retarded :evil:
Grahf
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Grahf »

Sandman wrote:Alien: Covenant was awesome.... I know I am going to get some flack over that one but I thought it was great, hope the next one ties in the other stuff they left out but all in all great film... should have been in 3D but whatever.
Me being a huge fan of the franchise. Anything is better than Alien vs Predator. So yeah I liked this movie a lot. I'm interested to see where they go from here to get to right before Alien.

Wonder Woman was great. The best movie in the DC cinematic universe. Though that isn't saying much and I don't want that to take away from the movie at all.

Transformers: The Last Knight was laughable bad. Too long, horribly edited, terrible writing... etc... The only thing that was decent you was able to follow the Transformer fighting........... for once!!!!!!
"Context is for Kings"
Sandman
Dirty Sennin

Post by Sandman »

Watched Spiderman Homecoming and it was great, from an entertainment perspective from a comic book perspective not so much... well at least what I know of the comic... Funny, great animation, no melo-drama, no sappy with great power stuff, aunt May is younger than I ever thought they would have gone, Michael Keaton did a great job cant wait to see the sinister six :twisted:

Edit: Finally watched Fate of the Furious (FF8) which was better than all the other installments of the franchise... except maybe the first one... but of course the realism is out the window but still funny and lots of twists and turns... some of the impossible stuff was hilarious :twisted:

Edit: Watched Valarian and I really wanted to like it, but there was something off... I think it was the theaters fault due to the fact that the movie was in stereo and not surround sound :evil: but it wasn't just that it lacked pacing and actors that were suited for a action sci-fi role. The best action was the beginning sequence when they are fighting over a drink on the beach, Riahnna scene was cool but not the greatest, story line about the aliens surviving in space was interesting but way not plausible... fuck man it was like M Night Shamulan was part of this movie and wanted it to fail. (Name mistakes are meant to be)

Edit: Watched Dark Tower and I liked it, of course I have never read the books, except the Gunslinger Graphic novel which was pretty bad ass... of course Roland was white in those but I didn't care. Matthew McConaughey was great as the man in black (devil) and the CGI and other aspects of the movie I thought were great... Now I know why the dark tower looks like that :twisted:
Also watched Rouge Night which I went into with low expectations and was pleasantly surprised that the movie didn't suck as bad as I thought it would, funny and entertaining but I would have waited till it came out on DVD if sony wasn't doing a promotion where if you watch all the sony films that come out this summer and you get the Digital versions of the movies when they come out... so Spider man, Dark Tower, Rough Night and Baby Driver I will have digital copies of when they are released... not like I wasn't going to buy physical copies of at least Spider man and Dark Tower... ok maybe just spider man, still to good of a deal to pass up :twisted:
Sandman
Dirty Sennin

Post by Sandman »

Double post :evil:

Watched Thor Ragnarok and it was funny.... not something you would want to hear about a Thor movie but it is true. Story line was shit, if I had read more of the comics I would have been more disappointed but I have not so I limp through. Acting felt forced at times and most of the dialogue was just dumb... Some of the 3d effect was great other times it was like they were trying to do to much, hurt my eyes and made it hard to focus, also Imax 3d glasses suck someone needs to fix that... Funny thing is that there was a scene where the 3d went out totally and I complained and got re admission tickets, so $90 well spent :evil:
Gaiseric
Tastes like burning!

Post by Gaiseric »

I haven't seen Thor Ragnarok yet, but I think I'll enjoy it. Going into it knowing it was directed by the guy that did What We Do In The Dark and Hunt For The Wilderpeople helps set my expectations. I think if I went in thinking it would be similar to the first two, I might be thrown off a bit.

I did see Blade of the Immortal at a local art house theater. Awesome samurai flick, lots of action and countless killings. It's not as crazy as some of Miike's other movies, but if you enjoyed 13 Assassins, you'll love it.
"We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing all-powerful God, who creates faulty Humans, and then
blames them for his own mistakes." - Gene Roddenberry
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Yeah I thought Blade of the Immortal was pretty good. The manga is way better of course. Knowing what they were trying to do, the pacing felt off, but I still enjoyed it. As usual there's just way too much source material to fit into a 2 hour movie.
Gaiseric
Tastes like burning!

Post by Gaiseric »

I have the anime series of Blade of the Immortal, but haven't watched it yet. Do you know if it is a better adaptation of the manga?
"We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing all-powerful God, who creates faulty Humans, and then
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Yeah, not really. I watched about half of it and lost interest.

Watched Justice League last week. It's still got some issues, but I liked it. Probably the best DC film to-date. What'd you guys think?
Sandman
Dirty Sennin

Post by Sandman »

Justice League was good not great but good. Wish they would have done a back story for Aquaman and Flash before this. Aquaman's origin story is now ruined but there is still hope for a flash origin story... Flash was probably the best part of the whole show... Steppenwolf was one dimensional bad guy it would have been cool see him taking direct orders from Darkside, or just a little bit more set-up for his character... Stilll don't like Wonder women's actor, the lack of emotion from her kills me every time... one of the worst things I saw was the make up for Cyborg he looked like he had just come from a salon... But for all its faults Justice League has still very entertaining... got to love the slow-mo, they rivaled x-men days of future past for best slow-mo scence all they needed was a better song and it would have been epic... there were a couple of spots where slow-mo seemed like over kill, like the amazon scene during the beginning.
Sandman
Dirty Sennin

Post by Sandman »

Anyone see Last Jedi yet... I have and let me tell you Luke was not kidding when he said it wasn't going to end the way you think... hell it didn't even start the way I would think... I will save my critics for when more people have watched it and want to talk about it... which I hope is soooon :evil:
luciferian
Mastered PM

Post by luciferian »

seen it.
[spoiler]I liked the movie, and yes, i grew up with them. But I absolutely despised the entire Finn and Rose arc. Also seemed to push feminism far to much; Ie resistance being mainly "female in high ranks, and they dont need to tell you jack."
or the fact that the entire patriarchy that is the first order is filled with idiots... seriously, did no on think to hyperdrive a split second to be in front of the entire resistance? Or rose destroying Finns sacrifice. God. But, overall, i did like the movie, just not the morals that they tried to fist you with no lube. Loved every scene with luke, rey, and most with kylo[/spoiler]
Sandman
Dirty Sennin

Post by Sandman »

Cool glad you watched it... I didn't want my opinions to spoil it for others even if they were not bad :twisted:

[spoiler]Pros: Luke finally speaks, Porgs were a good little creature to have all over the place, Luke as a hermit, Light sabers and force stuff was awesome, CGI and 3d effects were Awesome, some of the funny stuff was well done, Yoda!!!!, snoke's ship looked awesome, Rey and Luke's fight in the rain, Carrie Fisher did a lot better in this one, and Light speed battering ram (FUCKING AMAZING, like once she turn the ship I was she going to ram them... then it was light speed holy fuck... although the animation after was a little over the top and cartoony towards the end of the scene.

CONS: You turned Star Wars into a comedy (some comedy is needed but really almost every scene had something funny in it), Killed Snoke without any back story or reveals about the character, did the same thing to Phasma, Hux was idiotic Light Saber duel with Rey and Kylo was poorly choreographed (didn't use the force till the end and the fight looked like a theater play production style, I did like how Kylo used his light saber with the cross guard and the crimson guard's weapons were cool although would have like to know how they stood up to light sabers), they animated Luke's light saber when Kylo and Rye were fighting over it stupid they could have made this a practical effect or something, Rose was ok when she was guarding the escape pods but after that it was like "well Finn cant be with Rey cause she is going to get with Kylo, so we have to give him a female to crush on", the hole animal and child cruelty message was unneeded oh and they freed the animals but not the children :evil: , Poe seemed way to flustered all the time, bomber scene defied physics, Carrie Fisher dies and Mark Hamill lives but in the movie Leia lives and Luke is force suicided (the force suicided part really got to me its like fuck you and your shit Disney don't want Luke in the movies any more give him a great death not a fucking disappearing into the wind FUCKING BULL SHIT or set it up with Yoda telling him about the final training), and Rey's parents are no bodies (sure fine that was the take away from this film you don't have to have special parents to be special. Whatever someone didn't want to make any of the theories right so he made them all wrong)

Still not a bad movie but would have love to see some urgency instead of the fuel will last for 2.5 hrs like this movie. Would have liked to see the full extent of the First order like how big it really was or is, where were the Knights of Ren what is the order of Ren were they the Crimson guard?? Also if you read the Journey to the Last Jedi you learn how Luke became a non combatant and just projected himself, as how did he make the light saber tangible so that Kylo was hitting something don't blame Daisy for not wanting to be Rey anymore who would :evil: they better make up for this one with the next one. Wish they would have just added on to Luke's Cannon story line but made this the end of the road but nope Luke will not have children and a wife or successful students just force suicide[/spoiler]

There are my opinions take them for they are worth :evil:
luciferian
Mastered PM

Post by luciferian »

Sandman wrote:Cool glad you watched it... I didn't want my opinions to spoil it for others even if they were not bad :twisted:

[spoiler]Pros: Luke finally speaks, Porgs were a good little creature to have all over the place, Luke as a hermit, Light sabers and force stuff was awesome, CGI and 3d effects were Awesome, some of the funny stuff was well done, Yoda!!!!, snoke's ship looked awesome, Rey and Luke's fight in the rain, Carrie Fisher did a lot better in this one, and Light speed battering ram (FUCKING AMAZING, like once she turn the ship I was she going to ram them... then it was light speed holy fuck... although the animation after was a little over the top and cartoony towards the end of the scene.

CONS: You turned Star Wars into a comedy (some comedy is needed but really almost every scene had something funny in it), Killed Snoke without any back story or reveals about the character, did the same thing to Phasma, Hux was idiotic Light Saber duel with Rey and Kylo was poorly choreographed (didn't use the force till the end and the fight looked like a theater play production style, I did like how Kylo used his light saber with the cross guard and the crimson guard's weapons were cool although would have like to know how they stood up to light sabers), they animated Luke's light saber when Kylo and Rye were fighting over it stupid they could have made this a practical effect or something, Rose was ok when she was guarding the escape pods but after that it was like "well Finn cant be with Rey cause she is going to get with Kylo, so we have to give him a female to crush on", the hole animal and child cruelty message was unneeded oh and they freed the animals but not the children :evil: , Poe seemed way to flustered all the time, bomber scene defied physics, Carrie Fisher dies and Mark Hamill lives but in the movie Leia lives and Luke is force suicided (the force suicided part really got to me its like fuck you and your shit Disney don't want Luke in the movies any more give him a great death not a fucking disappearing into the wind FUCKING BULL SHIT or set it up with Yoda telling him about the final training), and Rey's parents are no bodies (sure fine that was the take away from this film you don't have to have special parents to be special. Whatever someone didn't want to make any of the theories right so he made them all wrong)

Still not a bad movie but would have love to see some urgency instead of the fuel will last for 2.5 hrs like this movie. Would have liked to see the full extent of the First order like how big it really was or is, where were the Knights of Ren what is the order of Ren were they the Crimson guard?? Also if you read the Journey to the Last Jedi you learn how Luke became a non combatant and just projected himself, as how did he make the light saber tangible so that Kylo was hitting something don't blame Daisy for not wanting to be Rey anymore who would :evil: they better make up for this one with the next one. Wish they would have just added on to Luke's Cannon story line but made this the end of the road but nope Luke will not have children and a wife or successful students just force suicide[/spoiler]

There are my opinions take them for they are worth :evil:
Fully agree with almost everything.

and before you say something like that, we all know luke went to every damn planet, and seeded up the entire galaxy with little bastards =D
Sandman
Dirty Sennin

Post by Sandman »

Watched Black Panther last weekend and it was amazing, better than most Marvel movies I have seen... had kind of a lion king vibe to it but was still an awesome movie... Nick Canon did great, Andy Serkis did great, Bilbo did great, all in all great acting through out... GCI was well done, Made for 3D effect was minimal which is what I like cause when you watch it at home without 3D that shit just gets annoying... Story was well done, great comedy to drama ratio... if you have one movie to see this month I would watch this one. :twisted:
Gaiseric
Tastes like burning!

Post by Gaiseric »

Finally got around to watching a few new movies:

Thor Ragnarok: loved it, easily my favorite Thor movie and one of the better Marvel movies. I really enjoyed the humor and lighter feel of the movie, probably why I like the Guardians movies so much too.

Black Panther: I had high expectations but was rather disappointed. The action was good and the story was okay, but I didn't like the music and didn't really care for any of the characters.

The Last Jedi: One of the worst Star Wars films, it's at the bottom with Episode 1 and Force Awakens. I felt like they just copied parts of the original trilogy and threw it all together without explaining shit. Also, what the fuck was that whole 'fuck the 1%/alien horse stampede bullshit' in the middle? Also, I thought Leia using the force to fly through space was fucking stupid until I read that Darth Bane created a force bubble to fly from one moon to another on the back of some pterodactyl. Though Leia was knocked out, so fuck that bitch.
Sandman
Dirty Sennin

Post by Sandman »

Glad to see you are catching up ;P

Since my last post I have watched all the block busters:

Pacific Rim Uprising: blah although Finn does a great job I thought... but the first one was better... did like all the sword fighting though :twisted:

Ready Player One: Awesome concept but missed out on the wide spectrum of the situation of the world, loved the animation... you could tell that Nintendo wanted to much money to render there likenesses :lol:

Avengers Infinity War: Very good but don't rush out to see all your favorite super hero's d... if you haven't watched it please do at your own risk :twisted: Didn't like how they portrayed Thanos it was a mission of love for death not because of what he stated in the movie :evil: made you hate a lot of your favorite super hero's as well so there is that... Still pretty good cant wait to see what they do for part two...

Deadpool 2: This was released on my birthday and it was not as good as the first one but still had its merits, loved the whole comedy of Deadpool but too many 4th wall breaks and other movie references for me kind of took me out of it... cable sucked I liked the costume and gear but not the acting or why he was there... stupid time traveling robots :twisted:

SOLO a Star Wars story: It was good, not quit as good a Rouge One but pretty damn close... Loved the Han and Chewie meeting for the first time scene and the Lando and Han relationship you could see how and why they are frien-emies :twisted: the Falcon was good not sure I liked the circular flat dish antenna but its better than the one they have on the LAST JEDI... but it made me feel like it was to advanced compared to the earlier version which are set later in time... But all in all good movie make you realize why Han is so Han. I wish woody would have played his role a little more guy from zombie land-ish lovable asshole but he was in love already so I guess that made him soft-ish.

Edit: watched Ant-Man and the Wasp which was better than the first one... 3d effect awesome, action awesome although some of the fight sequences were kinda blurry but it was forgivable, Music was good, acting was good, they even out did themselves with the Spanish guy narrated story telling... the only thing that was not as good as the first one was the bad guy, you couldn't hate the bad guy... also they could have gotten someone else to play old wasp but whatever... not like I have to tell you but stay till the end :twisted: oh and watch infinity war first :roll:
Sandman
Dirty Sennin

Post by Sandman »

Double Post :twisted:

Its like a ghost town here so I guess I continue to talk to myself :evil:

Catching up on some of the movies I have watched...

My Hero Acidemia two hero's: Not bad love the series but the movie was a little blah on developments, learn a little more about All Might, could not hate the bad guy, plot twists were predictable, still would watch it again :twisted:

Venom: Didn't like it all that much Tom Hardy was good, but the story and plot were not. The humor was good but was missing something... also the whole eating bad guys thing was not something I remember Venom doing... I still bought the movie in 4k which did make the dark scenes more better but not a whole lot of improvement from the theatre.

Crimes of Grindalweld: I had so much hope for this movie and it let me down... [spoiler]Dumbldor is gay[/spoiler]... literally so there is that... then they take away every thing I liked about the first one... I will still watch the next one cause I got to see it thru to the end :twisted:

Spiderman Into the spider verse: Loved it not a huge Spiderman fan but loved what they did with this one. 3d was great when it was in sync with the art style but when it wasn't it hurt my eyes and I had to like look away or move my head to make sure it wasn't just me... Penny Parker was my favorite, spider Gwen was alright, peter porker was under used but pretty funny, Noir Spider was ok but not my style, glad I got the see the prowler gives you a precursor to when or if they make a live action Miles Morales movie with Donald Glover, got to love the movie making fun of it self and other editions of Spiderman or and the Stan Cameo was great as well... pretty sure they will make another one.

Still haven't watched Bumblebee or Aquaman but I will get to it... I will let you know :twisted:
Grahf
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Grahf »

Since I've joined the AMC A list I've seen a few more movies. $20 a month and I can get up to 3 reservations per week. Including IMAX in NYC its soo worth it!!

I've seen 'Glass' and Dragon Ball super Broly. So far and plan to see soo much more in the next few weeks.
"Context is for Kings"
Sandman
Dirty Sennin

Post by Sandman »

And then Covid happened :evil:

Well I have braved the theaters for a few movies… signed up for Regal unlimited and Cinemark reward plus (no AMC in Alaska)

It’s been nice getting all the movies streamed and on HBO but there is something about a big screen and loud ass speakers :twisted:

Loved ghostbusters, now that is how you continue a classic pay respect to those that have come before

Spider man no way home fucking loved it… watched in 3D and imax both enjoy able 3D only shined in a few spots so don’t feel left out if you don’t get the chance.

Anyway stay safe out there but don’t forget to keep struggling
Sandman
Dirty Sennin

Post by Sandman »

Double Post... well I am used to it by now... talking to myself that is :D

Watched all the summer movies and I have got to say my favorite by far is:

PREY!!!!!! It needs to be in theaters it is that good. Now I am a little biased seeing how I am Native American and Alaska Native but all in all seeing how it was set up and all the things I know about the Predators and what not just clicked in this one. CGI was a little wonky at times but not bad.

Nope was pretty good. They subverted expectation on that one and that was cool.

Thor love and thunder was alright they kinda need to go back to the comic book roots and do like unworthy Thor or something... watched this one in 4DX it was like a roller coaster ride with 3D!?!?!?! I have not laughed so much in a movie before just the sudden jolts made me laugh... think I got whiplash from it though :lol: and digital simulated snow was supper trippy :twisted:

Bullet Train was pretty good. Tried to watch it in ScreenX but the effect was not turned on so did get any special feeling from it. The movie was good liked that every thing had a back story and Brad Pitt was pretty likable. A lot of British but it wasnt that bad.

Lightyear was pretty cool, cant believe one girl on girl kiss got it boycotted :eyeroll: love the cat.

Jurassic world was OK but had to much of a good thing plus the out stretched hand thing got over played :evil:

Top Gun was great too although they didnt name the enemy and some of the end was unbelievable but all in all I enjoyed it.

Any way that is my two cents if anyone else is coming back to EG because of Berserks re issuance I hope they read this and comment.