No smiling allowed

All the news that's new and approved. We want your opinion, no matter how wrong it is.

Moderator: EG Members

arke
Beware my tactical spam

No smiling allowed

Post by arke »

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/200 ... nses_N.htm
The serious poses are urged by DMVs that have installed high-tech software that compares a new license photo with others that have already been shot. When a new photo seems to match an existing one, the software sends alarms that someone may be trying to assume another driver's identity.

But there's a wrinkle in the technology: a person's grin. Face-recognition software can fail to match two photos of the same person if facial expressions differ in each photo, says Carnegie Mellon University robotics professor Takeo Kanade.
I'm a bit surprised people smile at all.
In Illinois, photo matching has stopped 6,000 people from getting fraudulent licenses since the technology was launched in 1999, says Beth Langen, the state head of Drivers Services.
In 2000, Illinois had 12,419,293 people. That works out to 0.048% of all people in the state. Granted, not many people smile anyway but this is a ridiculous policy to catch such a tiny amount of people.
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Re: No smiling allowed

Post by War Machine »

And all that just to use security software that fails with apparently any facial gesture. Forget smiling, all you have to do twitch your face a little to get away with it. And what about twins?

I'm betting they wasted shitloads of money on this new technology, what makes them think it's worth it? The fact that it has a very serious flaw or that it catches practically nobody?
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

1 is still more than 0, and that matters to the American government.
Audentis Fortuna Juvet - Virgil
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

What is the percentage of people trying to commit fraud though, that's the real question. Surely it's not everyone, so maybe it's a bit more effective than we're giving it credit for, but I don't know. It still sounds silly to me too but I don't really know enough about it.
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

Starnum wrote:What is the percentage of people trying to commit fraud though, that's the real question. Surely it's not everyone, so maybe it's a bit more effective than we're giving it credit for, but I don't know. It still sounds silly to me too but I don't really know enough about it.
In Illinois, photo matching has stopped 6,000 people from getting fraudulent licenses since the technology was launched in 1999
I think it's much worse than arke made it look, that's not 6,000 people caught in 1999, that's 6,000 people getting caught in a period of 10 years (give or take a couple of years depending on when that statistic was taken). So yeah, nobody.
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel