U.S Successfully Hits its Satellite Target.

All the news that's new and approved. We want your opinion, no matter how wrong it is.

Moderator: EG Members

The Prince
Tastes like burning!

U.S Successfully Hits its Satellite Target.

Post by The Prince »

Preliminary reports indicate that a missile fired off of a Naval Battleship in the Pacific hit its target. Though at this point, it will take some time to fully assess the extent of impact.

Its pretty amazing to think just how difficult hitting an object traveling at tremendous speeds outside our atmosphere would have to be.
Let's put a smile on that face...............
psi29a
Godo

Re: U.S Successfully Hits its Satellite Target.

Post by psi29a »

They had to hit it about 150 miles up, a large amount of fissile material will burn up on reentry, but it will still cause some environmental problems west of Hawaii. Out of mind out of site I guess.

I've been keeping up on this over the past couple of days. Apparently it was a failed US Dep. of Defense sat that was deployed Dec of 06. There is so much junk up there as is, I'm glad that they are able to bring it back down. I guess it was to much of a risk to bring back via shuttle.
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

I doubt the shuttle would have been an option considering the satelite was filled with a highly hazardous fuel, and the possibilty of it leaking would have been dangerous. Not to mention doing so would be expensive and difficult as hell, while shooting it down with a missile would not only be relatively cheap, but a "fortuitive" oppurtunity to conduct a balistic training exercise (that under normal circumstance would be condemned by the international community). In addition, a successful hit would surely be a strong statement and reminder to the rest of the world to what our military is capable of. Similar to what China did several years ago.

Who knows....Maybe we intentionally employed a malfunctioning satellite as an excuse to conduct a missile test in the first place? Naaah only a crazy person would ever consider such a thing......

*Speaking of which, in an interesting/bizarre twist, Putin is claiming that the Russians had already shot the satellite down over a week ago..........CHECK THIS SHIT OUT!
Vladimir Putin wrote: "We are pleased to lend a hand to the Bush administration," stated Putin through interpreters. "I have gazed into his (President Bush) eyes before, and I have seen a man in real trouble. With the American economy doing as badly as it is right now, we were happy to save Mr. Bush the expense of a missile."
:wtf:

http://www.unconfirmedsources.com/index.php?itemid=3035

What fucking nerve this guy has!

I'm curious to know what other people on here think of Putin, in regards to being someone who for all intents and purposes is either insanely delusional or insanely sharp?
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

The Prince wrote: Who knows....Maybe we intentionally employed a malfunctioning satellite as an excuse to conduct a missile test in the first place? Naaah only a crazy person would ever consider such a thing......
Yep, I bet that's what it was.
fujinsan
Flexing spam muscles

Post by fujinsan »

so thats what that light in the sky was earlier. Well just goes to show dont leave space exploration to the government.
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

It is just posturing, Russia has always done this, not only to taunt but to give Russians something to laugh about as well. To us, it is a bit of a slap in the face but it has been that way for a long time now and should be shrugged off. I remember Cuba doing the same thing when Katrina and Rita hit, Castro wanted to know if he could help send foreign aid to the US knowing it would refuse.

Political dance and posturing.
fujinsan
Flexing spam muscles

Post by fujinsan »

It's simply because everyone hates us that they said that.
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

fujinsan wrote:It's simply because everyone hates us that they said that.
Having had the experience of going to several other countries over the years, yes... we are Ugly Americans.

They make like is individually which is cool, but you have to be careful at pubs. ;)

So far in my travels, I've not been treated rudely (overtly so) but I do get questioned a lot. I've never claimed to be Canadian either.
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

I'll admit, this statement comes as quite a surprise for me.

In that it implies English to be your native language.

psi29a wrote:
Having had the experience of going to several other countries over the years, yes... we are Ugly Americans.

They make like is individually which is cool, but you have to be careful at pubs. ;)

So far in my travels, I've not been treated rudely (overtly so) but I do get questioned a lot. I've never claimed to be Canadian either.
Speak for yourself pal, I'm a damn good looking American. And why would you ever want to claim yourself a Canadian?

EDIT: I have nothing but love for Canadians.
Last edited by The Prince on Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ugly_American
Ugly American is an epithet used to refer to perceptions of arrogant, demeaning, thoughtless behaviors of Americans at home or abroad. The term originated as the title of a 1958 book by authors William Lederer and Eugene Burdick, The Ugly American. The film adaptation of the novel came out in 1963, directed by George Englund and starring Marlon Brando. Englund was nominated for a Golden Globe award as director of the film.

In the context of this novel, the title alludes to both positive and negative attributes of its characters. The authors state that one of the "good" characters is "ugly" looking to create a contrast with the "bad" characters who were "handsome". In the book, the authors' "good" characters used their skills and resources to make a positive change in the lives of villagers in Southeast Asia and the "bad" characters used their skills and resources for other purposes. For example there is an "ugly" engineer who helps villagers with an irrigation system, and a "handsome" Ambassador who does not care about what happens to the people on the village level. The novel weaves many separate stories with these kinds of counterpoints of an "ugly American".[citation needed]

The best-selling, loosely fictional account included descriptions of blundering, corrupt, and incompetent behaviors of Americans in Southeast Asia that were involved with American foreign aid. The book led to a move by President Dwight Eisenhower to study and reform American aid programs in the region.

In the book, a fictional Burmese journalist wrote, "For some reason, the people I meet in my country are not the same as the ones I knew in the United States. A mysterious change seems to come over Americans when they go to a foreign land. They isolate themselves socially. They live pretentiously. They're loud and ostentatious. Perhaps they're frightened and defensive, or maybe they're not properly trained and make mistakes out of ignorance."
Tis a good read. I highly recommend it.
Speak for yourself pal, I'm a damn good looking American.
You've just proven the whole point and lost the humility award at the same time. A gulf clap to you good sir. :)

As for the Canadian bit, it is a running joke that you never admit to being an American but rather Canadian while abroad so that you will be treated with less contempt. I've never had to and I felt welcome. However, I also don't exclaim myself to be "damn good looking" either. ;)
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

psi29a wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ugly_American
Ugly American is an epithet used to refer to perceptions of arrogant, demeaning, thoughtless behaviors of Americans at home or abroad. The term originated as the title of a 1958 book by authors William Lederer and Eugene Burdick, The Ugly American. The film adaptation of the novel came out in 1963, directed by George Englund and starring Marlon Brando. Englund was nominated for a Golden Globe award as director of the film.

In the context of this novel, the title alludes to both positive and negative attributes of its characters. The authors state that one of the "good" characters is "ugly" looking to create a contrast with the "bad" characters who were "handsome". In the book, the authors' "good" characters used their skills and resources to make a positive change in the lives of villagers in Southeast Asia and the "bad" characters used their skills and resources for other purposes. For example there is an "ugly" engineer who helps villagers with an irrigation system, and a "handsome" Ambassador who does not care about what happens to the people on the village level. The novel weaves many separate stories with these kinds of counterpoints of an "ugly American".[citation needed]

The best-selling, loosely fictional account included descriptions of blundering, corrupt, and incompetent behaviors of Americans in Southeast Asia that were involved with American foreign aid. The book led to a move by President Dwight Eisenhower to study and reform American aid programs in the region.

In the book, a fictional Burmese journalist wrote, "For some reason, the people I meet in my country are not the same as the ones I knew in the United States. A mysterious change seems to come over Americans when they go to a foreign land. They isolate themselves socially. They live pretentiously. They're loud and ostentatious. Perhaps they're frightened and defensive, or maybe they're not properly trained and make mistakes out of ignorance."
You've just proven the whole point and lost the humility award at the same time. A gulf clap to you good sir. :)
Haha.....pwned. :sweat:

No fair I hadn't read the article yet!

- As homage to what was once a promising thread (bright-eyed and full of wonder) and its violent and untimely demise......THUS before I respond to your post, let me get something off my chest........

Though I appreciate your insight (well informed as always), I honestly don't see the value of acknowledging what amounts to a very rudimentary (at best) comment of limited relevance (f...ji....san *cough*), other than to lead the topic of the discussion astray.

It does get rather annoying how no matter what the issue or topic is, it seems things always come down to an excuse to act out our impulse to denigrate ourselves as Americans.

- In response to your post.....Athough I have observed some of these qualities among certain fellow americans abroad, I also found that as an american while traveling being subject to more scrutiny than normal. Where any aspect (or characteristic) to identify or make me stand-out as an american, had the potential to be considered and/or taken as brash (or rudeness) in itself. In those times when there are people looking to reinforce preconceptions, they will always find what they are looking for.

As for the Canadian bit, it is a running joke that you never admit to being an American but rather Canadian while abroad so that you will be treated with less contempt. I've never had to and I felt welcome. However, I also don't exclaim myself to be "damn good looking" either. ;)
Unfortunately I am straight, so I can't make that determination one way or another.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

The Prince wrote:
I'll admit, this statement comes as quite a surprise for me.

In that it implies English to be your native language.
:lol:

:pwned:
fujinsan
Flexing spam muscles

Post by fujinsan »

The Prince wrote:
I'll admit this statement comes as a surprise to me.

Implying that english is your native language.
Your a rat bastard aren't you?
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

fujinsan wrote:
The Prince wrote:

Yup. 8)
MrFelony
E-Thug

Post by MrFelony »

fujinsan wrote:
The Prince wrote:

this is even funnier after the poor grammar remark.
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

psi29a wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ugly_American

Being the other side of the coin in this matter, I can assure you that most people don't hate americans.
We just don't feel comfortable with your backstabbing foreign policies and the way your government preaches about human rights while at the same time holds people in Guantanamo without letting them have a fair trial, just because they are "suspected" of being terrorists.

If you ask an average south-american about what he/she thinks of the US, he/she will rant for an hour about how much he hates your country. Curiously, if confronted with an average american, he/she will treat him/her like he/she treats any other person (except for the fact that he/she will try to get as much dollars as he can from this "gringo" he/she just met).

As ridiculous as it may sound, the world hates america, not americans.
One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings.
~Diogenes of Sinope