Scientology protests start across Australia

All the news that's new and approved. We want your opinion, no matter how wrong it is.

Moderator: EG Members

Do you support the Scientology protest?

Yes.
52%
No.
48%
I'm a scientologist.
No votes

Total votes: 21

Eldo
Of The Abyss

Scientology protests start across Australia

Post by Eldo »

http://www.news.com.au/technology/story ... 39,00.html

My opinion on this is...

Well, I'm atheist, and have always treated scientology as a joke. So I really have no sympathy for the scientologists. But are the protesters wasting their time protesting? Is it really right to protest a religion in particular? Is this different from protests against Muslim or any other religions and how does it make it different? Is this bigotry and intolerance? I find this incredibly interesting, as I do not care about both sides. I've always disliked religions, but am captivated by it.

What are your thoughts on this?

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
psi29a
Godo

Re: Scientology protests start across Australia

Post by psi29a »

People can believe whatever they want to believe... but don't force it on me please. :)

I heard about this earlier, and so it begins...

Shaka Zulu
Buzkashi wannabe

Post by Shaka Zulu »

Its pointless to protest, counterproductive . But its NOT bigotry to be against a blatant financial scam that takes advantage of the mentally challenged or needy. Their spineless founder says quite upfront in their holy shitbook that the whole point of it all is to make money, maximize their money making and so on and on.

I urge you to read even one paragraph of what they believe in (not just South Park spoofs even if they are actually spot on), and then tell me its bigotry to be against it. Though bit weird reaction to protest so vehemtly (free PR even if bad one). I would think one would be too busy LOLing as fuck after reading about the awesome Xenu (seriously must have been a 2buck dare between the founder and a friend after a trippy acid party night, to see if he can dupe someone in the party to believe this, and then...).

Pointless to protest it (even if they may be afraid its going to brainwash a family member or whatever), but not really intolerant. You can say its directly harmless to you (though it is a financial scam that is dangerous if allowed to foster), but its so insanely retarded bullshit thats a given you object to sheer idiocy.
Until the lion learns to speak, the tales of the hunt will be(weak) told by the hunter
MrFelony
E-Thug

Post by MrFelony »

I think the whole anonymous thing is kind of cool
Tempest
Dirty Sennin

Post by Tempest »

That is a kick ass V mask. I wonder if you get one as a part of membership?

As far as Scientology is concerned, I am not about to argue about their religious views (I mean, I'm a Christian and I admit that from a purely speculative standpoint an omnipotent being who lives in the sky and breather life into man sounds only less psychotic than an alien overlord and DC70s with jet engines) but if any of what I've heard about their detoxing programs is true (such as the Lisa McPherson case) they need to be shut down.

An abridged version of what is truly wrong with Scientology can be found here (While the site is a YTMND, the site is not humorous in nature)
ImageImage
MsNomer
Mastered PM

Post by MsNomer »

A religion is never fully legit till some one protests against it.
How IS a Raven like a writing desk? [/b]
MrFelony
E-Thug

Post by MrFelony »

from my understanding, they are not protesting the religion of scientology, as in the beliefs, but the institution and formal leaders of the religion. My guess is that this was probably started by ex-scientoligists or people who have "lost" loved ones to it.
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

Scientology is not just a financial scam, it's a psychological scam, too (incidentally, as is every other religion). The combination of financial and psychological scam makes them seriously fuck people up.

I don't know if protesting will ever achieve anything, though. Protests tend to rather over-simplify things, and IMHO education and information are far more important. But if anything raises the awareness about how fucked up scientology really is, then it's good in my book.
Brainpiercing
"Beer cures poison" - (almost) Guts.
Winnowill
imanewbie

Post by Winnowill »

In Brussels a few people of Anonymous protested on Sunday. They wanted to remember the death of the American woman and member of Scientology, Lisa McPherson. She died in 1995 because of the treatment other members of Scientology gave her after she'd been in a car accident (newspaper article in Dutch):
http://www.demorgen.be/dm/nl/989/Binnen ... eren.dhtml
So 20-30 young people bothered to spend their Sunday afternoon shouting and handing out pamphlets in the streets of our capital. Not really impressive, if you ask me, but looking at the rest of Europe, or the world, there is indeed more to it.
To me this is all over the top. I still believe Scientology is nothing more than another obscure, probably corrupt and possibly even powerful sect, such as there are (and were) so many in this world. So why focus on this one in particular, and why so hostile? Seabound's lyrics come to mind here, saying "Exorcize - Raise your voice not to deceive". I'd hoped we were past witch hunting in the 21st century, even if the witches aren't all that innocent... or does this phenomenon fit in nicely in the trend called creating mass hysteria?
seductive but deadly
MrFelony
E-Thug

Post by MrFelony »

they originally did it for the lolz, but now it's evolved
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

meh.....its just another religion.

At least these guys don't burn people on the premise they don't share the same beliefs.
One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings.
~Diogenes of Sinope
fujinsan
Flexing spam muscles

Post by fujinsan »

MsNomer wrote:A religion is never fully legit till some one protests against it.
Exactly thats why they should stop, scientoligest are getting free pr out of this.

Btw: "The easiest way to make a million dollars is to make your own religion" -secret diary of Elron Hubbard
Tempest
Dirty Sennin

Post by Tempest »

Rolos wrote:meh.....its just another religion.

At least these guys don't burn people on the premise they don't share the same beliefs.

No, they just torture people who do share the same beliefs with them.
ImageImage
elric le tueur d'amis
Mastered PM

Post by elric le tueur d'amis »

the cops are too busy counting their bribes to react to those petty things, tempest; no proof, no crime
That guy won''t give up!!
Kill him!!
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

No proof no crime huh.

I guess o.j really didnt kill his wife then.
A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.
-Sir Francis Bacon, Of Atheism <---Did I make this my sig? This shits gay as fuck.
elric le tueur d'amis
Mastered PM

Post by elric le tueur d'amis »

right : if he was scientologist and judged in Clearwater, he really wouldn't have killed her.
That guy won''t give up!!
Kill him!!
fujinsan
Flexing spam muscles

Post by fujinsan »

Buzkashi wrote:No proof no crime huh.

I guess o.j really didnt kill his wife then.
Haha I guess too much proof could get you off too. Bribe money will also do.
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

As far as protests go, I don't like the idea, for whatever reason, unless it's against something obviously wrong like genocide or something. In this case, if people want to believe in the hugely corrupt and materialistic religion that is Scientology, I say let them. In my opinion religion is there to be questioned, so question it all you want. I am personally a Christian and all of my studies in science and humanity has only affirmed my beliefs, no matter what arguments people throw at me. What I don't like is when people say that I'm stupid or wrong for believing what I do. Christ, and Buddha, and Ghandi, and even Martin Luther King to an extent taught that people should respect each other and their beliefs, unless those beliefs cause other harm. I do not agree with Jehovah's witnesses who go and bother people on the street with their damn little pamphlets, or Catholics and their past ways of dealing with 'heretics', and especially not with any crazies in any of these religions. I completely disagree with many factors of the muslim faith, which people read in a certain way, which allows them within their own morals to cause young people to blow themselves up and for women to belong completely to men. Each religion goes through phases, in my opinion, where they have golden ages and low points. Scientology is very difficult for the rest of the world to accept because of the way the people who believe in it go about their worship. They're almost as annoying as Jehovah's witnesses. At least they allow little kids to get blood tranfusions to save their lives.

Anyways, my point being, let people believe what they want, and let people come into belief on their own. If they're forced it won't work because then they'll just be scared and that opens a whole new can of worms.
Audentis Fortuna Juvet - Virgil
Nakadai
imanewbie

Post by Nakadai »

I'm absolutely amazed there is a following for this. I realize people often need something cling to, but fucking Christ, Scientology appears to be downright lunacy.

Yay for broad generalizations about something I have no first hand knowledge about! :D
Infini-Tropolis.com