Free Rice

All the news that's new and approved. We want your opinion, no matter how wrong it is.

Moderator: EG Members

War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Free Rice

Post by War Machine »

A word definition game that donates 10 grams of rice to the needy for every right answer:

http://www.freerice.com/index.php

For realzies:

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/charity/freerice.asp
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
MrFelony
E-Thug

Re: Free Rice

Post by MrFelony »

raised 1120 grams of rice and hit level 38. this is a game that makes you feel good about yourself :D
MsNomer
Mastered PM

Post by MsNomer »

I know lots of words. O_o
How IS a Raven like a writing desk? [/b]
Shaka Zulu
Buzkashi wannabe

Post by Shaka Zulu »

Yeah same here :o Thought my grasp of english was generic/shallow but I apparently unconsciously know alot of hard words (even with options, pretty tough/obscure/text book words).

It was a fine test to upgrade ones vocabulary, but also when I was unsure of words, I was tempted to look them up simply because this test gives donations. Bit freaky, for once I felt 100% comfortable with almost cheating (who am I fooling? :lol: ).
Until the lion learns to speak, the tales of the hunt will be(weak) told by the hunter
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

The weird thing is that I knew several obscure words only because they're a lot more common in Spanish. "Granger" for example sounds a lot like "granjero" (farmer in Spanish), and surprisingly the answer is farmer (if you wanna see for yourself type "granjero" into any translator and you'll get "farmer"). Even weirder, they had the word "frijole", beans in Spanish are called frijoles (and yes, the answer is bean).
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
Shaka Zulu
Buzkashi wannabe

Post by Shaka Zulu »

Yeah good ol' latin/Greek connects alot of the western languages quite deeply regardless of how elvoved the national words have become. I also managed to guess on alot of words I never seen in print/read before because of the very small and faint similarity it has with some swedish word.
Until the lion learns to speak, the tales of the hunt will be(weak) told by the hunter
MsNomer
Mastered PM

Post by MsNomer »

ADDICTIONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNWWWWWWAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
How IS a Raven like a writing desk? [/b]
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

And instead of calling you an addict or a maniac, we will call you a heroine who's altruistic endeavor we hope will continue, and consequently inspire our youth on helping this noble cause you have so virtuously taken upon yourself. 8)
dialdfordesi
I live in a giant bucket.

Post by dialdfordesi »

War Machine wrote:And instead of calling you an addict or a maniac, we will call you a heroine who's altruistic endeavor we hope will continue, and consequently inspire our youth on helping this noble cause you have so virtuously taken upon yourself. 8)
Haha, looks like the vocabulary game is having an effect on you. It's a good find and I'll be sure to share the link with others.
Trust me, I'm a doctor!