MPAA cracking down on torrents

All the news that's new and approved. We want your opinion, no matter how wrong it is.

Moderator: EG Members

Arresty
Conversation Killer

MPAA cracking down on torrents

Post by Arresty »

http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/1581.html
The Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA) representing Hollywood's major film studio has won a very important case against movie pirates. They have brought down LokiTorrent.com.

LokiTorrent, which was owned by Edward Webber, directed people to downloadable copies of copyrighted movies. Webber is finned $1-million in a judgment issued by a Dallas court. An MPAA notice has replaced the home page of the site.
-- added by psi29a
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

More info here (as in, real info, not media spin):
http://news.netcraft.com/

outage:
Arresty
Conversation Killer

Post by Arresty »

Cool.
Damien
Dirty Sennin

Post by Damien »

Arresty wrote:Cool.
WHAT??? How is this COOL?

ANd it wont be long before the MPAA goes the way of the dinosaur like the RIAA did eventually it will happen, you cant Stop piracy...

http://zeropaid.com/ go here for lots of good news articles and keep up on the Piracy WAR

NARUTO + BLEACH doesn't even come close to the BEST MANGA= ONE PIECE
Arresty
Conversation Killer

Post by Arresty »

Sorry cool was for the link. Not saying I condone there actions. I like better information vs normal media slant.
Damien
Dirty Sennin

Post by Damien »

Im against big coperations mostly.

Arresty
Conversation Killer

Post by Arresty »

I am too, especially walmart, especially since they changed there return policy. That was there only saving grace. Ripping them off.
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

I'm mostly against insurance companies :wink:

Yes, it's sad how corporations lose millions of dollars because of piracy from the trillions of dollars they earn. It's really terrible :roll:

They should really stop making imaginary figures to lost sales.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
Arresty
Conversation Killer

Post by Arresty »

Yeah, cause most of the stuff I pirate I wouldn't pay for so its not like they are loosing anythign off of me.
dos.azn
the_Gook_of_EG

Post by dos.azn »

as long as they haven't tracked down the torrents for "24", im good :D
Damien
Dirty Sennin

Post by Damien »

I personally dont think its right that actors/actresses get pain 20 million dollars to act when they should be only getting paid 2 million for a film, I dont think its right for directors to turn out crap movies and expect the public to be happy about it.

Arresty
Conversation Killer

Post by Arresty »

I agree thats why the 90s had that great surge of Indie films. But with the death of grunge so died the slacker, generation X and the whole Indie community. There are still great Indie films, but they aren't the same as the old ones. Some still great though. But I generally stick with independant films, old movies, and foregn films.
Lucky-7
imanewbie

Post by Lucky-7 »

It's a scam I tell you.
I wont go into all the details but loki got like 40K in donations to fight this in court and threw the towel in an out of court settlement, basicly walking away with the wad.

I dunno about you but that smells DAMN FISHY TO ME!
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

Lucky-7 wrote:It's a scam I tell you.
I wont go into all the details but loki got like 40K in donations to fight this in court and threw the towel in an out of court settlement, basicly walking away with the wad.

Hehe!

Shareconnector's another P2P site that got shut down by BRIEN. It sucked, right after their donation (it was several ten thousand or near it, can't recall) they closed the site down, and got 'arrested' and servers seized. Funny thing is the investigators don't know squat about filesharing, how it functioned and stuff.

http://www.shareconnector.com

Who can forget the famous Sharereactor that closed down. That was an epic battle, I tell you.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
halfnhalf
Conversation Killer

Post by halfnhalf »

Lucky-7 wrote:It's a scam I tell you.

Do you have source on this? Because if that is true, then damn....
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Hm, interesting… I don’t know about any scams. Unless of course you count all of the “legit” ones all of the major industries are running. Like Damien was saying, actors make too much anyway. Eldo made a good point too, these companies make tons of money, and yet they still complain. I think people who have the really shitty jobs should be the ones making ridiculous kind of money. I can understand doctors getting fat paid, but you don’t even need to graduate high school to be an actor, and it’s not that hard to do. Find someone who shovels shit or something. That guy deserves at least twenty bucks an hour. I mean, he’s freakin shoveling shit! The world is just a corrupt and ass backwards place *shrugs*.
Arresty
Conversation Killer

Post by Arresty »

Eldo wrote: Funny thing is the investigators don't know squat about filesharing, how it functioned and stuff.
No they don't. Which is why they won't ever put an end to it. In fact they are almost conterproductive. Napster was not near as large as it was after it got covered in the media. Before that the majority of hte nation did not even know what an MP3 was or that you coudl even download music to play on your computer. They brought it upon themselves.

Besides we always have IRC that will always be safe. I hope *Prays to whatever is out there.* Well its been around for as long as I can remember and has always been one of the best sources to really find what you want.
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

Starnum wrote:Find someone who shovels shit or something. That guy deserves at least twenty bucks an hour. I mean, he’s freakin shoveling shit! The world is just a corrupt and ass backwards place *shrugs*.
:lol:

LMAO!

Yeah, don't know why the 'big star actors' need more money then they should or already have. It's not like they donate some to charity or anything :roll: .

Corporations should stop adding extra zeroes to the end of the expected sum that they should earn. Stop making trash and expect everyone to enjoy it. A movie ticket isn't all that expensive. If you make a good movie, people would flock to see it (I flocked out to see LOTR), but if it's some dodgy shit like Elektra, don't even bother counting lost sales.

Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Eldo wrote:It's not like they donate some to charity or anything :roll: .
Is that sarcasm? More importantly, is that sarcasm aimed at me? I ask, because sometimes they do contribute to charity...but still. Some actors can make like a million dollars an episode, and we're talking TV! A MILLION DOLLARS AN EPISODE! That's fucking ridiculous. That shit isn't hard. Hell, I can get up there and act for a while, and then go sit on my ass for the rest of the week. Pay the firefighters like that, and then they can donate to charity. I mean those guys risk their lives. I don't know, I'm just saying…shit don’t make any sense sometimes.
Arresty
Conversation Killer

Post by Arresty »

Thats why Indipendant films are so great. You can have any small little actor act. Just a director with a ton of talent and a small budget. Those stratch along ways. They actually care about a final product. Think Clerks. With the excpetion of jay and silent bob noone in that movie have done anything since, and jay and silent bob have only done more kevin smith films, and a cameo here and there. But clerks was great. Or Slacker which more just followed a bunch of people around through austin texas. Just seemed like normal people. Cool movie, Richard Linklater just kicks ass in general, Dazed and Confused.
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

Starnum wrote:
Eldo wrote:It's not like they donate some to charity or anything :roll: .
Is that sarcasm? More importantly, is that sarcasm aimed at me? I ask, because sometimes they do contribute to charity...but still.
No it's not sarcasm directed at you...not intended to be sarcasm altogether, sorry for the misunderstanding. Just used the wrong Emoticon. Hope this clears things up. Just saying that with the amount of money they make, they should at least do something that could benefit fellow humans, but no, they blow it up on drugs and alcohol. I was going for the wink.

They aren't like Jesus and donate every cent to the poor. They don't drive shitty cars that's about to explode. Yet they complain about their payroll.

Arresty
Conversation Killer

Post by Arresty »

Well in general they are stuck in there own imaginary world. Most of them though not insane, really have not concept on what reality is or what real life is like. Many of them do go and help out the poor in africa and stuff. Or fight for causes, but they do it thinking that is what they whdoul do, not cuase its right. Its more for publicity. And they still look down on these people they are helping. Most are very hypocritical. They think that them going over there will make these poor kids feel better, like some small kid without a TV knows who Angelina Jolie is. Besides I think we shoudl work on our own country before we start helping out other people.
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

Arresty wrote:Well in general they are stuck in there own imaginary world. Most of them though not insane, really have not concept on what reality is or what real life is like. Many of them do go and help out the poor in africa and stuff. Or fight for causes, but they do it thinking that is what they whdoul do, not cuase its right. Its more for publicity. And they still look down on these people they are helping. Most are very hypocritical. They think that them going over there will make these poor kids feel better, like some small kid without a TV knows who Angelina Jolie is. Besides I think we shoudl work on our own country before we start helping out other people.
Hey, I'm a hypocrite too. When I become a rich bastard, I probably won't spare change for the poor. :wink: :P

Yeah, it's sad how A-list actors are doing charity for the publicity, not from the heart. Some actors go tell the media they've been 'secretly donating to charity behind the scenes for many years'. Don't know how the low profile works. :roll:

Starnum: That million dollars an episode....you're referring to Raymond from Everybody Loves Raymond aren't you? Apparently the person who plays Robert from the show wants a payrise....

Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Actually I was thinking of Friends at the time.
Arresty
Conversation Killer

Post by Arresty »

Sienfeld was bad too. The cast acutaly turned down a multimillion dollar contract to continue the show. I don't know if I could turn it down.

If I am rich later in life I probably won't donate to charities, but that is cause I am an inconsiderate asshole, and woudl not say I was doing it, or do it for publicity. I woudl just say someone needs to do it, just not me. Cars, homes, planes, women, damn life woudl be nice. *Starts drueling*

*Snaps back to it and realizes he needs to hit submit*