Gangs Spreading In The Military

All the news that's new and approved. We want your opinion, no matter how wrong it is.

Moderator: EG Members

psi29a
Godo

Gangs Spreading In The Military

Post by psi29a »

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/07/ ... 7316.shtml
Evidence of gang culture and gang activity in the military is increasing so much an FBI report calls it "a threat to law enforcement and national security." The signs are chilling: Marines in gang attire on Paris Island; paratroopers flashing gang hand signs at a nightclub near Ft. Bragg; infantrymen showing-off gang tattoos at Ft. Hood.

"It's obvious that many of these people do not give up their gang affiliations," said Hunter Glass, a retired police detective in Fayetteville, North Carolina, the home of Ft. Bragg and the 82nd Airborne. He monitors gang activity at the base and across the military.
[youtube]Rkoo5jK3yuc[/youtube] [youtube]rUavioDoVbs[/youtube]

We have seen this before the rise of organized crime after WW1, WW2, and Vietnam. These men in uniform will come back to the states, and re-integrate, and now you have a gang banger who will not run from cops, but will likely be with others using tactics they learned overseas to over-power and possibly kill our law enforcement.

The FBI is so worried about this scenario that they have started surveillance on many military installations and personal.
MsNomer
Mastered PM

Re: Gangs Spreading In The Military

Post by MsNomer »

You can't just ban gang members from joining the military, hell, there are jurisdictions across the country that send these kids to the military instead of jail. It's not like no one knows there are gang members in the military. It would be easy enough to track them. The government will never ban them from joining the military. The government lets them and their families down by not providing a sufficient education to get them a good job in the first place, essentially creating a force of people with little other hope than enlisting in the military.

While there may be a million people in the military community, they are not all sitting together in one hard to keep track of city. They are broken up into smaller units of people throughout the world and monitoring them shouldn't be that hard. If signs show up on a base, you watch the tapes (yes, there are cameras everywhere on military bases), you alert your patrols and you raise awareness.

The trouble isn't that the military can't do anything about it, it's that they won't do anything about it. Banning gang members from joining decreases the pool of people you draw from for enlistees and tracking them implies there is a problem and as the article states... it's less then 1% of all reported crimes. No problem, right?
How IS a Raven like a writing desk? [/b]
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

Who said anything about banning them?

This is just about public awareness, in that we saw the same thing before in the past. Their right to be in a gang is protected, not illegal.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

I just hope that any of those gang members realize that once they're in the military, that's their chance to "get out". I mean, chances that they'll see active duty are pretty low, and the military gives them a chance to go just about anywhere they want. I mean, it's training them in more ways than one. I'm just saying, there's no reason they should ever have to go back to gang banging. I have friends in the military that are better off now than I am.
reiketsu
imanewbie

Post by reiketsu »

I belive the point here is: as long as those gang mambers doesn't use their military knowledge in favor of the gang's mischievous interestes, there's no problem in have gang members in the military corporation. Obviously, they can't be simply ignored, take them to the public awareness is nothing but the least that can be done in order to avoid unexpected inccidents. And, if you stop to think about, being in gangs or not, won't make much difference if the individual are inserted in a group with malicious intents, for the damage will be the same.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Once you make a man into a lethal weapon, you can't really just turn that off. :P