Changing diet might help you see infrared.

All the news that's new and approved. We want your opinion, no matter how wrong it is.

Moderator: EG Members

psi29a
Godo

Changing diet might help you see infrared.

Post by psi29a »

http://www.mindhacks.com/blog/2005/08/c ... ight_.html
Thanks to Eric Lundquis for typing this up and putting it on the internet. It's an experiment done by the army and cited by Rubin, M. L., and Walls, G. L. (1969). Fundamentals of visual science. Springfield, Ill.: Thomas, p. 546, which is in turn cited Sekuler, R., and Blake, R. (1994). Perception (3rd ed.). Springfield, Ill.: Thomas, pp. 62-63:
The following story dramatizes how photopigments determine what one can see. During World War II, the United States Navy wanted its sailors to be able to see infrared signal lights that would be invisible to the enemy. Normally, it is impossible to see infrared radiation because, as pointed out earlier, the wavelengths are too long for human photopigments. In order for humans to see infrared, the spectral sensitivity of some human photopigment would have to be changed. Vision scientists knew that retinal, the derivative of vitamin A, was part of every photopigment molecule and that various forms of vitamin A existed. If the retina could be encouraged to use some alternative form of vitamin A in its manufacture of photopigments, the spectral sensitivity of those photopigments would be abnormal, perhaps extending into infrared radiation. Human volunteers were fed diets rich in an alternative form of vitamin A but deficient in the usual form. Over several months, the volunteers' vision changed, giving them greater sensitivity to light of longer wavelengths. Though the experiment seemed to be working, it was aborted. The development of the "snooperscope," an electronic device for seeing infrared radiation, made continuation of the experiment unnecessary (Rubin and Walls, 1969). Still, the experiment demonstrates that photopigments select what one can see; changing those photopigments would change one's vision.
SWEET!
dialdfordesi
I live in a giant bucket.

Re: Changing diet might help you see infrared.

Post by dialdfordesi »

That's pretty crazy, but being Vitamin A deficient would have some serious side effects wouldn't it? I mean even if that alternative form could be used in photoreceptors, there must be somewhere where that the alternative could not be used.
Trust me, I'm a doctor!
MrFelony
E-Thug

Post by MrFelony »

i wonder if it changed how the soldiers perceived the world :shock: (just had to use that smiley lol).
Hyuri
imanewbie

Post by Hyuri »

dialdfordesi wrote:That's pretty crazy, but being Vitamin A deficient would have some serious side effects wouldn't it?
Funny thing is an overdose of Vitamin A can cause blurry vision.
Signature by HylianShroom, you can find him at www.Zeldauniverse.net/forums
MrFelony
E-Thug

Post by MrFelony »

I think you might be thinking of vitamin B-lurry.
Hyuri
imanewbie

Post by Hyuri »

I had completely forgotten about this topic :lol: .
MrFelony wrote:I think you might be thinking of vitamin B-lurry.
No, actually an overdose of vitamin A can cause blurry vision, along with some other more annoying side effects.

See Here.
uncempt
Buzkashi wannabe

Post by uncempt »

Maybe the "altered mentality" side effect could be one of the reasons this was dropped? You wouldn't want your well brainwashed soldiers to suddenly turn pacifist, would you?
Tonbo
Mastered PM
Location: I am the one who lives in the darkness, and shatters it.

Post by Tonbo »

MrFelony wrote:i wonder if it changed how the soldiers perceived the world :shock: (just had to use that smiley lol).

I imagine it would be like looking at the stars out of the corner of your eye. You can see stars in your peripheral vision that seem to disappear when you look directly at them because rods are more sensitive than cones and rod photoreceptors predominate in the periphery of the retina.
MrFelony
E-Thug

Post by MrFelony »

Hyuri wrote:
No, actually an overdose of vitamin A can cause blurry vision, along with some other more annoying side effects.

See Here.
it seems you also missed my joke :P
Hyuri
imanewbie

Post by Hyuri »

MrFelony wrote:
Hyuri wrote:

See Here.
it seems you also missed my joke :P
eh yeah...a couple of months late but whatever.

Yes I seemed to have missed the joke. Sorry I really am a Noob and I lack internet forums skills. Interpretation aswell as humour.

Wait a minute...did I just admit my noobiness on EG? Did I juts sign my death wish?