Creationist Museum Opens in Kentucky

All the news that's new and approved. We want your opinion, no matter how wrong it is.

Moderator: EG Members

EnglishJim
This is my new home

Creationist Museum Opens in Kentucky

Post by EnglishJim »

Guardian Unlimited wrote:The world's first creationist museum, which tells visitors the Earth is only about 6,000 years old, has opened its doors in the American midwest.

The Creation Museum claims dinosaurs such as Tyrannosaurus rex lived alongside ancient civilisations but were strictly vegetarian before the Fall of Man and that the Grand Canyon was created by Noah's flood.

Some 4,000 people visited the Kentucky museum on its first day yesterday while demonstrators protested outside and a plane towing a banner reading "Thou shalt not lie" circled overhead.

Critics say the $27m (£14m) centre, whose motto is "Prepare to believe!", will be the first museum in the world whose exhibits are almost entirely fake.

It is seeking to convince visitors of the truth of its belief in the account of the world's creation in the book of Genesis through a mixture of animatronic models and tableaux.

Mark Looy, a co-founder of the privately funded centre, said: "The guests were very happy with the museum experience.

"Of course, we had some naysayers come through and engage us in conversation, and that's fine - we want them." Lawrence Krauss, an author and physicist at Cleveland's Case Western Reserve University, decided

to view the museum first-hand.

"It's really impressive, and it really gives the impression that they're talking about science at some point," said Mr Krauss.

Awarding marks out of five, "I'd give it a four for technology, five for propaganda. As for content, I'd give it a negative five," he said.

The museum features hi-tech exhibits designed by former theme-park artist Patrick Marsh, including animatronic dinosaurs and a wooden ark at least two stories tall, plus a special effects theatre and planetarium.

Some exhibits show dinosaurs aboard Noah's ark and assert that all animals were vegetarians until Adam committed the first sin in the garden of Eden.

When Mr Marsh was asked to explain the existence of fossilised remains of man's ancestors, he replied: "There are no such things.

"Humans are basically as you see them today. Those skeletons they've found, what's the word? They could have been deformed, diseased or something.

"I've seen people like that running round the streets of New York."

Construction of the complex began with a prayer meeting for workers, all of whom signed a contract saying they agreed with creationism.

Ken Ham, the museum's Australian director, is equally defiant.

He revealed he had "skipped through" a copy of Richard Dawkins' latest book, but he said: "The thing is, Dawkins does not have infinite knowledge or understanding himself.

"He's got a position, too, it's just a different one from ours. The Bible makes sense and is overwhelmingly confirmed by observable science. It does not confirm the belief in evolution."
Source.

- "The Creation Museum claims dinosaurs such as Tyrannosaurus rex lived alongside ancient civilisations but were strictly vegetarian"
- "When Mr Marsh was asked to explain the existence of fossilised remains of man's ancestors, he replied: "There are no such things.""
- "The Bible makes sense and is overwhelmingly confirmed by observable science."

... Eh?
psi29a
Godo

Re: Creationist Museum Opens in Kentucky

Post by psi29a »

It was made out of private money, so I guess whatever floats their ark. Nothing we can really do about it.

However, if they start diverting my tax dollars into this place, then I'll be angry.

This sums up my thoughts:

MsNomer
Mastered PM

Post by MsNomer »

Some exhibits show dinosaurs aboard Noah's ark and assert that all animals were vegetarians until Adam committed the first sin in the garden of Eden.
Call me kooky, but I thought that

1. Eve commited the first sin according to the Bible and

2. Noah appeared long after Adam was dead... so that would make those dinosaurs carnivores on the ark... so.... ok, I'm confused.

If they are going to believe in fairy tales, could they at least get them straight? pls k thx <3
How IS a Raven like a writing desk? [/b]
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

*Sigh* Yep, stupidity can be found among pretty much any group of people, including Christians. :P
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

Found this little gem today, as they cover it in their farce of a museum. Of which, the more I read about, the more I want to visit because it just seems like an elaborate joke on creationists. Seriously? Photographic evidence of man causing the extinction of the Dinosaurs? O really? What of those poisonous frogs you have in captivity? Could the reason be that they are not poisonous have anything to do with their diet of non-poisonous mites and ants instead of the almighty?

[youtube]furcepFlfZ4[/youtube]

EnglishJim
This is my new home

Post by EnglishJim »

That video clip looks like it was pulled right out of the eighties. Still, it's a simple yet effective presentation that even a creationist could understand. Or maybe not, seeing as there are similar arguements happening today. "If it's too complex for me to imagine, then it couldn't have happened", what kind of logic is that?

Oh, and there's something I forgot to mention. Guardian Unlimited made a mistake in their article, which was later corrected; "The Creationist Museum in Kentucky is not the first, as we claimed in the article below. The website creationism.org lists 12 others". Great.
Albator
Hikikomori

Post by Albator »

Must I add, the director of that museum is said to be Australian. It tells you how devoid of shame these peoples are. Like if eating Kangaroos wasn't enough.
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

Albator wrote:Must I add, the director of that museum is said to be Australian. It tells you how devoid of shame these peoples are. Like if eating Kangaroos wasn't enough.
Meanwhile, the founder of the museum, Australian Ken Ham, is being investigated by a former Chief Magistrate in his home country for deceptive conduct and other wrongdoings in relation to the Australian church organization he was once affiliated with. This is hot on the heels of the incarceration of that other leading light of the creationist movement, Kent Hovind, who was recently sentenced to a decade in prison for tax evasion.
tiberius9876
imanewbie

Post by tiberius9876 »

Recently I was traveling to NY and saw a sign for the museum. I was very tempted to stop and see how laughable this place is, but decided that might actually only encourage them. I've spent a great deal of time fighting against creationists. If you ever find yourself stumped by a claim made by a creationist talkorigins.org can be very helpful particularly this page section http://www.talkorigins.org/indexcc/index.html

If you would prefer to watch a documentary there is a very good Horizon episode called The War On Science ( God vs. Science). http://www.tv-links.co.uk/listings/9/5252

bon appetite.
"Disneyland. Fuck, man, this is better than Disneyland." -Apocalypse Now