The Global Warming Swindle

All the news that's new and approved. We want your opinion, no matter how wrong it is.

Moderator: EG Members

MsNomer
Mastered PM

Re:

Post by MsNomer »

Brainpiercing wrote:I'll say another thing, though: In the documentary, there was an African guy quoted that it's the African dream to develop. And I call bullshit on that. There were millions pumped into Africa which immediately landed in the hands of some petty dictator or warlord, and each time one of those was displaced, a new one took his place. For the past 20-40 years at least, possibly longer, Africans have been causing the African demise. The colonization laid the foundations for that, which is why I say the western industrial countries still bear a partial responsibility for what happens.
This is only half true... the demise of Africa started when gold was found in the Americas prompting tribal chiefs to sell their fellows to make up for shortfalls in their economies due to the loss of trade with European nations.

As to Global Warming, whether we play a role or not, there is no harm in creating technologies that make the human race better stewards of the environment. If we can achieve our goals of mobility and commerce and pollute less, who loses?
How IS a Raven like a writing desk? [/b]
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Re:

Post by War Machine »

Brainpiercing wrote:But even with the scare, does that mean that whatever caused it is false? Usually not entirely, but just how much overblown is it? What I see is this: Chances are with the measures taken now to prevent a possibly unpreventable climate change, some environmental protection will take place. And as I see it that's not really a bad thing, as long as it doesn't just cost those that can't really afford it.
The problem is that when we take measures into fixing what's not broken we tend to make it worse, and these fixes will cost people a lot of money. There will always be someone who can't afford it, but the fact that so much money is wasted on measures that don't amount to anything is what bothers me. There may be some measures that are good for the environment, but they get lost in between all the mistakes and blatant lies.
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Re: Re:

Post by Brainpiercing »

War Machine wrote: The problem is that when we take measures into fixing what's not broken we tend to make it worse, and these fixes will cost people a lot of money. There will always be someone who can't afford it, but the fact that so much money is wasted on measures that don't amount to anything is what bothers me. There may be some measures that are good for the environment, but they get lost in between all the mistakes and blatant lies.
Well, ask yourself, is the what we're doing right now not broken? I say it is, because we ARE totally dependant on fossil fuel, and it's not likely we're going to stop that unless we REALLY put our minds to it. Fossil fuel IS a finite resource. It's not as finite as many people think, but it's finite nevertheless.

And a scare of this magnitude just might sway the minds of those people who are capable of making a change enough to actually do something. As it is we still have the resources to take the necessary steps now while they are comparatively affordable. If we wait until it's too late then people will suffer, and those that will suffer the most will be the poor people, you can count on that.

Don't get me wrong. I'm all against the scare. I don't share the apocalyptic views about global warming, if it indeed happens, well, I welcome it. But I do see that humanity is running against a solid wall if we don't change our energy supply strategy.
Brainpiercing
"Beer cures poison" - (almost) Guts.