Shootings at Virginia Tech (VPI)... again!

All the news that's new and approved. We want your opinion, no matter how wrong it is.

Moderator: EG Members

psi29a
Godo

Shootings at Virginia Tech (VPI)... again!

Post by psi29a »

http://killfile.newsvine.com/_news/2007 ... chs-campus
Several sources on Virginia Tech's main campus are reporting possible shootings on Virgina Tech's main campus. Emergency crews including fire, ambulance, and police are on the scene. This page will be updated as new information is made available.
Update 1

Emergency response began at AJ (West Ambler Johnston), one of Virginia Tech's dormitories and has now spread to the front of McBride hall. The Virginia Tech community is now under lock-down, including this office. There is, as yet, no indication that this is related to the string of bomb threats Tech has received throughout the last week.
Update 2

Virginia Tech has confirmed that "A shooting incident occurred at West Ambler Johnston earlier this morning." Police response has been swift and students on-site report a heavy police presence including officers armed with assault rifles. Students and faculty are urged to stay indoors and away from windows.

Wow, it is a hell of a year for tech, 2 shootings and crazies in one school year! It isn't over yet, killfile and I will keep you posted.

To you all at VT, stay safe and keep away from the people with assault weapons.
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

more updates...
Update 3

Virginia Tech has canceled all classes for the day.

Gunman on campus; all classes canceled; stay where you are; do not come to campus.

Virginia Tech has canceled all classes. Those on campus are asked to remain where there are, lock their doors and stay away from window. Persons off campus are asked not to come to campus.

Update 4

Reports indicate a second shooting and potentially multiple victims. These reports are unconfirmed as of yet.
Update 5

From WDBJ-7: A News 7 photographer on the scene has also reported seeing at least one person injured and coming out of another building on campus.

Rumors have circulated that a professor may have also been hit. No information is available as to the veracity of this statement or the severity of any wounds suffered.
Update 6

AP Reports one fatality thus-far and another wounded. No resolution to the case has yet been reported.

Other sources indicate that there are now seven ambulances at the Virginia Tech Drill Field (central campus), though if this is in anticipation or response remains to be seen.
Update 7

Rumors indicate that the shooter is now confined to a single building (Norris Hall) and that the wounded individual mentioned above was indeed a professor at the University shot in his arm. Tech has apparently canceled a press conference scheduled for 11.
Update 8

Shooter is apparently not alone in Norris. Reports are coming in of students/faculty attempting to flee the building through windows.
Update 9

Another shooting is being reported at Norris hall bringing the total to three potential victims. Students report that the victim in West AJ was female and (possibly) a Residential Adviser.
Update 10

WSLS Reports that police have one individual in custody while a hunt continues for a second suspect. A news conference is scheduled for noon.
Update 11

An ambulance has just pulled away from War Memorial Chapel (see above map).
Update 12

Reports from students on campus indicate that a drug raid may have been in progress in AJ when the first shootings occurred. 7 to 8 casualties (not deaths) are now being reported.
Update 13

From the Roanoke Times (emphasis mine):

At Pritchard Hall, a dormitory near one of the shooting sites, students were being pulled into the buildings and told to stay away from windows and off the phone.

Pritchard is across the quad from AJ. See the map above for details.
Update 14

From the Virginia Tech website: On Tuesday, April 17, classes will be canceled. The university will remain open for administrative operations.
Update 15

WSLS reports that there is now an FBI presence on campus. The Montgomery County Hospital is no longer accepting patients from the general public and is limiting its new admittance strictly to students. Reporters have been asked to evacuate the campus.
Update 16

Scanner traffic indicates that on-site officers are calling for all K-9 units in a multi-county area. Virginia Tech may be evacuating the campus though this report remains unconfirmed. Bomb threats throughout the week suggest that officers may fear some greater threat to the student body. This is unconfirmed and will be updated as more information becomes available.
Police Scanner: Campus Evacuation Underway

Update 17

Seventeen Students are now being treated at Montgomery Regional Hospital for gunshot wounds and injuries due to falling. MRH has enacted its "disaster plan" to deal with the influx of patients.
Update 18

High winds from the North-Easter which is dominating East Coast weather is preventing media outlets from getting an uplink from the news conferance.

According to WSLS, students report that some students that are not "near the scene," including McBride Hall are apparently being "let go" and allowed to go home.
Update 19

Among others, Major Williams Hall is now evacuating under orders.
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

http://www.wsls.com

at least 20 are now dead with 28 wounded
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

22 confirmed dead, 28 wounded

Kazure
This is my new home

Post by Kazure »

I Just heard about the story this morning.

That is really, really scary. This type of thing can happen to any campus. Makes me think about the safety of my own.

My condolences to the students that are being directly effected there.

Edit: 31 now..
Wolfranium
imanewbie

Post by Wolfranium »

Hang in there guys , I wish you all the best . Take care of yourselves , I hope this tragedy passes over as soon as possible with least casualties . May GOD be with the victims' families and give them patience and ease their sorrows .
Sandman
Dirty Sennin

Post by Sandman »

Ah men

Anyway WOW did the cops catch the killer or what?? this is crazy what is happening to the world?? I also what it is that sets people of to go crazy like this? I could understand Highschool shootings a little more then college shootings, I mean in high school your not really in control of the situation, but in college you have all the control... anyway I hope this a gets resolved... yeah psi and killfile stay safe huh.

Edit: 33 dead over twenty wounded, Gunner killed him self and I guess two Professors of engenering were killed. Wow the cops are stupid for not looking for the shooter after the killer hit the dorm.

psi killfile do you guys have class at Noris hall?
Thank you sir, may I have another :twisted: :whip:
halfnhalf
Conversation Killer

Post by halfnhalf »

Now i know this might sound weird, but i guess i am messed up...

Last night i just started writing my ideas down for a story that was about how people feed on the freedom that the US has, well enough it had to do with terrorists posing as students and bombing all major colleges in the united states at the same time....

i feel guilty for some reason.

This is bad news, been watching cnn all day about this.
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

no worries man, this is just sick, it really is and it is getting worse.

The press conference tonight was a complete farce, and I want to smack each and everyone of the f------g media pundents *ahem* journalists there for interjecting opinion instead of asking questions. Also, how many damn ways can one ask the same question?

I want say thank you personally to all our men and women in uniform for their help today. They did a very professional job and made the best decisions they could under the circumstances.

We are talking about 2600 acres of land of open campus in a free society, emphasis on free. Having more security will not make the situation better, nor will throwing more money at it make it better. We all need to grieve, cope, and support ourselves and those who help to protect us, not attack each other and our law enforcement.

*shakes fist in frustration*
Ayanami
Dirty Sennin

Post by Ayanami »

psi29a wrote:We are talking about 2600 acres of land of open campus in a free society, emphasis on free. Having more security will not make the situation better, nor will throwing more money at it make it better.
I completely agree with this statement. More security and money will not make this better. There really is not much you can do. Grieve for the losses and move on. Do not let it scare you and change the way you live. It is unfortunate that a few bad apples can some times ruin every thing for the majority of hard working good people.
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

Hm, I wonder if this will somehow be an influence in bringing gun control back in the spotlight. I don't live in America, so this event doesn't impact me as strongly as some of you guys. My condolences reaches out to the victims of this mindless onslaught.

EDIT: This event made it to the news here. It was a bit too late for newspapers to print the event, but the TV news covered it briefly.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
Kazure
This is my new home

Post by Kazure »

The first incident occurred around 7 am. The questioning of the president's choice to keep the school open was a major issue.

The president claimed that a good portion of the student body lived off-campus and were already commuting. He asserted that the safest place for these students would be the classrooms themselves.

If the school was shut down shortly after the first incident, they say that the second, more horrific one would have been evaded.

I really think that the school should have been closed down. The emails of notification were late, and largely not very effective. For crying out loud, a shooting took place. Tell the kids to lock the damn doors and stay inside.

And yes, I felt much dis-taste to the damn press. sigh. Nearly every student here at my school received phone calls from family regarding the incident. It affects us all whether we were or were not at tech.
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

Kazure: hard to notify 30,000+ people. I've talked to many tech students, and most of them where not aware anything had happened until the police nocked on their door around 10~11 AM. They turned their phones and computers off for the night.

The shear scale of the campus prevents an instantaneous lock down aside from a firealarm, and that would have been pandemonium.

I think they did the right thing and I stand by them on this.

Fuck the media.
MrFelony
E-Thug

Post by MrFelony »

I gotta say i was shocked that it wasn't a white person. I'm a little racist that way :?. after all havent all the other shootings been by white people?
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

MrFelony wrote:I gotta say i was shocked that it wasn't a white person. I'm a little racist that way :?. after all havent all the other shootings been by white people?
FBI profiles agree with you, most massacres in the US are done by oft crazy Caucasians.

One bit I'll share with you, each an every officer you see in the pictures where running to and from on campus to help those in need. When the gun-shots rang out, many officers rushed towards WAJ. We pay these men and women 26K USD a year to run towards gun-fire. Think about that.

In other news, the President of the US is flying here for the convocation.
Facade19
Mastered PM

Post by Facade19 »

You think going to college is a way not to get you killed.
Really sad what happened.
I feel really bad for the family members and friends of all those who are (were) involved.
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

I have tears in my eyes right now...

EnglishJim
This is my new home

Post by EnglishJim »

The coverage over here has been quite extensive, and I've just found out that one of the victims, a 76 y.o. teacher, was a holocaust survivor. *shakes head*

The lunatic was, as I'm sure you know, Cho Seung-Hui...

MrFelony
E-Thug

Post by MrFelony »

people are commenting all over the CollegeHumor picture comment areas :?
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

To put this in historical perspective:

With a death toll of 33, this is the deadliest single-perpetrator civilian shooting in United States history, surpassing the Luby’s massacre of 1991, in which 24 people were killed. Internationally, it is surpassed by the 1982 massacre of 57 South Koreans by off-duty police officer Woo Bum-Kon and the 1996 Port Arthur Massacre in the Australian state of Tasmania where 35 people were killed by a single gunman.

The incident is the deadliest school shooting incident in the United States, exceeding the 16 deaths of the University of Texas shooting of 1966; and as the second deadliest school-related killing in U.S. history, behind the 1927 Bath School disaster which claimed 45 lives through the use of explosives, including 38 school children.

Also, the attacks occurred four days shy of the eighth anniversary of the Columbine high school massacre, three days before the 12th anniversary of the Oklahoma City bombing and the 14th anniversary of the Waco siege.
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

Some of Killfile's pictures he shot are here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/TheGreatKil ... tion?pli=1
Sandman
Dirty Sennin

Post by Sandman »

I was just reading about how he took the two hour break so he could go mail a package of incriminating eveidence to NBC before he went back to school to finish it. Also read about how there were a lot of warning signs.

Read about it at yahoo.com
Thank you sir, may I have another :twisted: :whip:
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

Of course, and they are all trying to find ways to 'explain' the situation and find what 'failed'.

Sometimes, you just can't predict human behavior and fucked up shit happens.

There where warning signs, but we cannot violate civil rights because some asshat writes scary shit, has unhealthy obsessions, and etc.

It isn't until someone violates the code of conduct that the University can do anything about it.

As someone who is here, at Virginia Tech, the blame rests solely on the perp. The administration and the law enforcement did the best job they could given the information they had at the time.

Latest update to confirm above:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18169776

Warning, it contains pictures and pretty sad/sick shit.
Albator
Hikikomori

Post by Albator »

Yep, that's something, very out of his mind.

According to what people are trying to demonstrate with the killer's behavior, half of this forum should probably go to an institution, or be jailed because they are potential rampager..

Everybody and their mother "saw" something about that guy, that somehow meant he was going to a shooting rampage. Yah, right.

It's much more reassuring to try to demonstrate that he had an absolutely deviant behavior, while he was probably acting shy more than anything. It's much more securizing this way. Personally, I met countless people that acted that way or another, they didn't kill anybody (that I know of).

No, the system is not "crazy-proof".
dronedevil
notanewb

Post by dronedevil »

I saw on cnn that cho's family were receiving death threats and that a south korean diplomat wants to move them to somewhere safer.