Children turned into terrifying killers by warlords

All the news that's new and approved. We want your opinion, no matter how wrong it is.

Moderator: EG Members

psi29a
Godo

Children turned into terrifying killers by warlords

Post by psi29a »

Full Article
Warlords are forcing children in conflicts around the world to become killing machines -- nothing more than what one child advocate calls "cannon fodder."

Some children are kidnapped from their schools or their beds, some are recruited after seeing their parents slaughtered, some may even choose to join the militias as their best hope for survival in war-torn countries from Colombia, and across Africa and the Middle East, to south Asia.

Once recruited, many are brainwashed, trained, given drugs and then sent into battle with orders to kill.

There is no escape for what the United Nations and human rights groups estimate are 250,000 child soldiers today. These children, some as young as 8, become fighters, sex slaves, spies and even human shields.

Sometimes their guns are taller than they are. But the child soldiers can be frighteningly cold and effective, according to CNN Africa correspondent Jeff Koinange. (Audio Slide Show: Koinange describes coming face to face with gun-wielding children)

He said they take macho noms de guerre like "Col. Rambo" and "Brig. Chop Them Up."

"The saddest part is we, as adults, had to address them as such," he added. "Otherwise you just never knew what would happen." (Read: Koinange recalls how child soldiers killed his friend)

The children's very vulnerability makes them attractive to the men leading militias, according to Jo Becker, who has interviewed former child soldiers in Sri Lanka, Nepal, Uganda and Myanmar for Human Rights Watch.

They are easy to manipulate and will do the unspeakable without question or protest, partly because their morals and value systems are not yet fully formed, she said. In some cultures, child soldiers -- 40 percent of whom can be girls -- are considered expendable "cannon fodder," she said.
Albator
Hikikomori

Post by Albator »

THis remind me of that movie, Jesus Camp. Pretty much the same principle. THey just don't give them weapons (yet).
Devil_Dante
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Devil_Dante »

Well, In WW2 the germans also had children for soldiers. At first it was just a camp called "Hitler Jugend". But then things changed, especially the last week when all forces ran out. Lots of russians had to kill 10-12 year old children just for survival. Ok, that was approximately 60 years ago, it's no surprise to me that such stuff still happens.
newbified
n00b Smasher

Post by newbified »

Not overly surprising to me.

If you've seen Lord Of War with Nicholas Cage, you've seen a bit of this in Africa where the current dictator of the region had recruited children into what he called his Kalashnikov Kids, as they're armed with AK-47's.

It's a horrible practice, but from a standpoint of a leader who took the country forcibly, and may not have the troop numbers to keep the country, it may also be a choice they would have to make if say they're locked in some sort of rebellion with another faction.

It was said best in the movie:

"A bullet from a 14 year old is just as effective as a bullet from a 40 year old. If not more so."

I probably butchered that line since it's from memory, but you get the idea.
Steeples scrape the sky, Praising God.
Everything here exists for God, is sacrificed to God.
For those who have nothing to sacrifice,
It can be a very heartless city indeed.
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

A lot of people forget that in alot of places around the world children fight to protect there families as well.

In places like Afghanistan during the Soviet invasion there were plenty of 12 year olds doing all they could to stop the invasion. The U.S still supported them though. I guess in the west it (child militia) isnt looked down upon if it benefits you.
A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.
-Sir Francis Bacon, Of Atheism <---Did I make this my sig? This shits gay as fuck.
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

I would say that most of the west was ignorant of it. It isn't exactly common knowledge nor displayed on the idiot box.
Shisho
Augh! Bright sky fire burn eyes!

Post by Shisho »

Well that's mostly because we're mourning Anna.

There's another interesting component to their fighting that's effective. That's the drug usage. You'll have some of their soldiers fighting even after being shot several times.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Sadly this is a very common thing in parts of the world specially in africa.
ZoddsNo1Fan
This is my new home

Post by ZoddsNo1Fan »

Not only that but the number of homeless children in the world is sad as well. Between 30 to 170 million homeless children, the majority male, roam the streets without families.
Who are these children?

The usual image is of young homeless people who live and work on the streets. But it is better to think of street children in terms of their relationship to the street. Some come from street families. Others live mainly on the street but may go back to the family home in the evenings or make sporadic visits. Yet others sleep in night shelters. A proportion endure periods in jail or institutions or spend their days working in open air markets. Most are working children.

All are individuals first with their own unique, complex lives.

How many are there?

Nobody knows for sure. Estimates differ widely--anywhere from 30 to 170 million. Their mobility and the fact that they move in and out of street living make them difficult to count. They are not included in surveys and censuses. There are no global statistics and the most reliable national ones come from agencies on the ground.

Particular circumstances such as warfare, deteriorating economies and natural disasters can increase their numbers. Thus, prior to the 1991 Gulf War there were no reported street children in Iraq; with the ongoing conflict, UNICEF is alarmed by the growing numbers of orphans on the streets. (1)

Advertisement

Family ties (4)

* Only a minority have no contact with their family. In Brazil about 90% have either a home life or occasional contact with their family.

* Poverty and social vulnerability put pressure on families and drive children on to the streets. In Kingston, Jamaica, over 90% of street children came from single mother families.

* Family dysfunction, often fuelled by poverty, also pushes children out. In the United States poverty is not the main factor--a majority of the estimated 750,000 to 1 million street children have fled physical or sexual abuse.
http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/ ... _n13783810