Viral Marketing Campaign mistaken for Terrorist Attack

All the news that's new and approved. We want your opinion, no matter how wrong it is.

Moderator: EG Members

Did Adult Swim go too far?

No, this is just some idiots getting scared over nothing
90%
Yes, they should have notified the proper authorities beforehand to prevent something like this
10%

Total votes: 10

Tempest
Dirty Sennin

Viral Marketing Campaign mistaken for Terrorist Attack

Post by Tempest »

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,249110,00.html
More than 10 blinking electronic devices planted at bridges and other spots in Boston threw a scare into the city in what turned out to be a publicity campaign for a late-night cable cartoon.
Long story short: Adult Swim had set up a bunch of Lite Brite-esc planks featuring the Mooninites from Aqua Teen Hunger Force. Someone in Boston thought they looked like a bomb and set off a city wide scare. Care to hear the best/worst part?
They have been in place for two to three weeks in Boston, New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Atlanta, Seattle, Portland, Austin, San Francisco, and Philadelphia.

[Insert comment on Post-9/11 fear mongering Here]

ImageImage
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

same shit happened on the west coast, but didn't cause a bomb scare there.

The two guys gave a press conference talking about 70's hair styles which was hilarious.
MrFelony
E-Thug

Post by MrFelony »

you'd have to be dumb to mistake that for a bomb. though i guess if you had no idea what a mooninite was and saw some blinking thing flipping you off you'd get scared too. its always a good business strategy to give people notice imo, but for publicity this probably worked out much better for them

saw the press conference on collegehumor
http://collegehumor.com/video:1739538
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

seriously, you can't buy that kind of press and for ATHF, it is worth the money in court fees... notice how all the news outlets are trying SOOO hard to not say ATHF. NPR for example went 30 minutes on the subject without saying what the advert was for in the first place.

I'm laughing my ass off all the way to the courts.
MrFelony
E-Thug

Post by MrFelony »

I wouldn't be surprised if someone they knew didnt report it haha
Tempest
Dirty Sennin

Post by Tempest »

I think part of why Boston officals were in such a stink about this (as well as the media) is because they all got egg on their face. They look like a bunch of idiots, even more so when Turner came out and said "Yeah it was us, sorry." Nobody wanted to believe that we were all making such a bigh deal out of absolutely nothing. Anyone who has seen some of the videos about it can agree after seeing the governor (I think) talking and someone says "Turner Communication has said they aren't bombs and were part of a marketing plan of theirs." (Or somrthing similar) and he says that it's "A lead we are looking into."

Maybe it was high time something like this happened to get us to look back at the last five and a half years and chill the fuck out.
ImageImage
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

Please note that 10 other cities had these displayed throughout, and yet only Boston got national attention. It only takes one to screw up big, and look at the media circus!

I agree with Tempest, it is time for us to chill the fuck out.
dronedevil
notanewb

Post by dronedevil »

the media didnt help the situation any.

I thought journalists would at least know about aqua teen :lol: