Scientists cure cancer, but no one takes notice

All the news that's new and approved. We want your opinion, no matter how wrong it is.

Moderator: EG Members

psi29a
Godo

Scientists cure cancer, but no one takes notice

Post by psi29a »

Seeded on newsvine by me: seed

Scientists may have cured cancer last week.

Yep.

So, why hven't the media picked up on it?

Here's the deal. Researchers at the University of Alberta in Edmonton, Canada found a cheap and easy to produce drug that kills almost all cancers. The drug is dichloroacetate, and since it is already used to treat metabolic disorders, we know it should be no problem to use it for other purposes.

Doesn't this sound like the kind of news you see on the front page of every paper?

The drug also has no patent, which means it could be produced for bargain basement prices in comparison to what drug companies research and develop.

Scientists tested DCA on human cells cultured outside the body where it killed lung, breast and brain cancer cells, but left healthy cells alone. Rats plump with tumors shrank when they were fed water supplemented with DCA.

Again, this seems like it should be at the top of the nightly news, right?

Cancer cells don't use the little power stations found in most human cells - the mitochondria. Instead, they use glycolysis, which is less effective and more wasteful.

Doctors have long believed the reason for this is because the mitochondria were damaged somehow. But, it turns out the mitochondria were just dormant, and DCA starts them back up again.

The side effect of this is it also reactivates a process called apoptosis. You see, mitochondria contain an all-too-important self-destruct button that can't be pressed in cancer cells. Without it, tumors grow larger as cells refuse to be extinguished. Fully functioning mitochondria, thanks to DCA, can once again die.

With glycolysis turned off, the body produces less lactic acid, so the bad tissue around cancer cells doesn't break down and seed new tumors.

Here's the big catch. Pharmaceutical companies probably won't invest in research into DCA because they won't profit from it. It's easy to make, unpatented and could be added to drinking water. Imagine, Gatorade with cancer control.

So, the groundwork will have to be done at universities and independently funded laboratories. But, how are they supposed to drum up support if the media aren't even talking about it?

All I can do is write this and hope Google News picks it up. In the meantime, tell everyone you know and do your own research.
With my father and step-dad both diagnosed with cancer and receiving healthy doses of chemo and radiation currently, it makes me more aware of the type of studies currently being done. Obviously we should be weary of snake-oil sales men / scientists that want grant money, but this is deadly serious.

I'll be contact with my folks about this later tonight and get their doctor's medical opinion on this asap.
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

It seems a bit too good to be true, but if this works, it should be made public.

But then, you get those classic conspiracy theories that say there's been cures for cancer and aids LONG ago, but the pharmaceutical companies killed them :). In this case, they don't need to kill anything, it's enough to not produce it.

However, if it's used for other disorders, it should be simple enough to buy at a chemist's.
Brainpiercing
"Beer cures poison" - (almost) Guts.
Albator
Hikikomori

Post by Albator »

I read about that, it sounded ingenious. Targetting the mitochondria was a good approach. Don't they even mentioned that the compound could even be used as a vaccine, since it could also detect and act on cells at an early stage? They are probably going with a human trial right now.

The greasy scientist remark might hold some true. However remember a trial held in France couple of years ago, in order to cure cancer too (don't remember which type). I'll tell it to you the way I remember it, which might be inaccurate, but you'll get the big idea: they were using virus (retro or lenti, can't remember) as a tool to insert transgenes in the recipient's cells. They announced total recovery (edited for accuracy: remission 8)) for most of the patients, partial for some of them, went public big time, forst page of the news etc. Problem is, more than half of the patients later on developed leukemia and died. They stopped immediatly and looked like fools not because the study was crap, but because they open their mouth a little too early. Different method, different approach, but people in charge here might remember this still.

Or they might be too busy starting their own company.
Last edited by Albator on Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

Usually, they don't tend to glamourise these sort of news until all trials has been fully tested, which takes many years to do. I haven't read any sort of news regarding this article, so I can't really comment there. But right, it's discerning how the media placed no coverage over it. This is like the case with stomach ulcers, which used to be then-expensive medicines, replaced by a simpler and cheaper antibiotic.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
Tempest
Dirty Sennin

Post by Tempest »

I tried submitting this on Fark.com, but someone already did and they didn't greentlight the thread. The conspiracy continues...
ImageImage
MrFelony
E-Thug

Post by MrFelony »

I like how in the original article they provide all this hope only to put an editors note above the article claiming that that was not their intention.
ZoddsNo1Fan
This is my new home

Post by ZoddsNo1Fan »

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn1 ... ncers.html Here's another url explaining a little more about what the scientists found and their theory on how cancer forms. Its absolutely believable and if they have found the cure for cancer its a huge leap for human pharmaceuticals as cancer kills around 8 million people per year.
meeric
imanewbie

Post by meeric »

I actually go to the UofA and it's pretty exciting! I was reading in the campus newspaper all about this we had a big spread on it. It said the drug is no where near ready for distribution. I believe it is ready to get approval for small clinical testing or something along those lines.

This is all from my memory of reading about it about a week ago so I'll have to double check.

Ah yup I found the article: http://www.gateway.ualberta.ca/view.php?aid=7377

"

“I’ve had a whole bunch of people contact me, wanting to know about trials for their parents and for themselves,” he said. “But this is really early preclinical work. This is only one drug. There are dozens of good drugs around, and is this better than something else? I don’t know.”

The next step is to begin human trials—a long, complicated and expensive process. First, researchers must prove that a drug is safe, though that step won’t be as difficult with DCA. Then they begin testing for efficacy, experimenting on different types and stages of cancer with varying dosages of the drug.

“That stage is a million times harder,” Michelakis said. “You translate what you find in animals to human beings, and it’s far more difficult. If you do something in animals that never transfers to humans, it’s a big nothing; it’s big waste.

"

Yup I made an account just to say that (I read NHK too. . .)

It's extra exciting for me because my major is in biology (genetics/cellular)