Now NASA Says It's Getting Warmer

All the news that's new and approved. We want your opinion, no matter how wrong it is.

Moderator: EG Members

psi29a
Godo

Now NASA Says It's Getting Warmer

Post by psi29a »

Nasa Article

Well, despite the fact that the George Bush Gang has been shushing scientists who dare to disagree with his administration's fantastical world view, now an entire governmental agency has come out and stated that global warming is occurring.

Two studies were recently published, documenting changes in the Antarctic and Greenland ice sheets, confirming that climate warming is changing how much water remains locked in Earth's largest storehouses of ice and snow (Greenland pictured at top and right). As if there could be any doubt regarding their conclusions, NASA recently published a satellite study of both regions and goes so far as to directly tie these changes to global warming, describing the survey as "the most comprehensive" ever for both regions.

Based on satellite mapping of ice sheets, published in the peer-reviewed Journal of Glaciology, the survey validated computer models projecting the effects of global climate change on Earth. In the NASA press release, the study's lead author, Jay Zwally said of the data;
If the trends we're seeing continue and climate warming continues as predicted, the polar ice sheets could change dramatically. The Greenland ice sheet could be facing an irreversible decline by the end of the century.

The gains in thickness of the ice sheets does not make up for the loss around the edges. Good news is that we nave new real-estate on greenland.
Last edited by psi29a on Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gaiseric
Tastes like burning!

Post by Gaiseric »

Thats some beautiful looking water. I'd pay upwards of five dollars for a bottle of it.
"We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing all-powerful God, who creates faulty Humans, and then
blames them for his own mistakes." - Gene Roddenberry
Grahf
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Grahf »

In school I actually took an environmental chemistry class. Its really funny that they haven't been able to come to an agreement about global warming.

Though its understandable when you think that no ozone means more skin cancer = death. But increased temperature means over a period of time sea level will rise.
"Context is for Kings"
MrFelony
E-Thug

Post by MrFelony »

I want a bottle of that to carry around for good luck.

movie anyone?
Gaiseric
Tastes like burning!

Post by Gaiseric »

The Waterboy?
"We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing all-powerful God, who creates faulty Humans, and then
Skullkracker
Dirty Sennin

Post by Skullkracker »

Gaiseric wrote:Thats some beautiful looking water. I'd pay upwards of five dollars for a bottle of it.
That water might come around in a few years...scary thought
Devil_Dante
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Devil_Dante »

Ok something about global warming. Where I'm from, it should be around -10 to 0° celsius. It think it's +15° celsius right now. I haven't even seen snow yet. They say it's the hottest year in history ... EVAR!!!
Shaka Zulu
Buzkashi wannabe

Post by Shaka Zulu »

Where are you from? I'm from frigging Sweden, its supposed to be cold ass shithole for almost all year long, and this winter has been no winter at all. No snow at all for november and december...a two days of little snow around christmas day or so(magical huh) that melted away as quickly.

Been so far too, if there's snow, its barely any that would cover the ground or not melt away few days later(or even a day later like today, was little snow yesterday that made it all white, not a single white spot left the day after). Just been autumn wether all winter long.

People can call it whatever they like, but this FAR from the usual weather and circusmtances. Though in the US, its bizzare that they have snow blizzards and various other snow storms that either kill the unfortunate here or there, or just incapicitate the electricity and the general running of towns.
Last edited by Shaka Zulu on Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Until the lion learns to speak, the tales of the hunt will be(weak) told by the hunter
Devil_Dante
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Devil_Dante »

Shaka Zulu wrote:Where are you from? I'm from frigging Sweden, its supposed to be cold ass shithole for almost all year long, and this winter has been no winter at all. No snow at all for november and december...a two days of little snow around christmas day or so(magical huh) that melted away as quickly.

Been so far too, if there's snow, its barely any that would cover the ground or not melt away few days later(or even a day later like today, was little snow yesterday that made it all white, not a single white spot left the day after). Just been autumn wether all winter long.

People can call it whatever they like, but this FAR from the usual weather and circusmtances. Its bizzare though that they have snow blizzards and various other snow storms that either kill the unfortunate here or there, or just incapicitate the electricity and the general running of towns.
Im from belgium, right beneath you :P pls don't shit on me :P.

I have to agree on that autumn weather. Only been raining and heavy winds all the time. Thats super unnatural, especially for Sweden...
Gaiseric
Tastes like burning!

Post by Gaiseric »

Well for me, the past week has been freezing with the high being 16 F and the low -7 F. Averages for this time of year are 40 F high and 20 F low.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Lucky you!

Its depressing when the winter is gone and its twilight zone when you never know how the weather will be sometimes its a spring the next day fall, the next day summer.

It has maybe snowed ten times since november and the snow is gone before you wake up.
Shisho
Augh! Bright sky fire burn eyes!

Post by Shisho »

Why does that picture look photoshopped?
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Dont tell me you are on of those that think global warming is fantasy.
square-enix
imanewbie

Post by square-enix »

Nonsense. Pure nonsense. If it was getting warmer Europe wouldn't be going into an Ice Age.... you're all idiots.

Even when Bush's term is over, it's doubtful that precautionary measures will be taken to lighten the release of greenhouse gases.
We have several contributing factors, one being the Chinese growth. We also have those dammed cows and obese Americans with their jeeps.
Nuclear fusion and antimatter/matter would be wonderful sources of energy, that is if scientific research wasn't put on halt in America was the last few years.
Any news of what the Eastern hemisphere has planned?, I'm not caught up in current events.
There are some donators (sp?) like Sir Richard Branson but it's not really going to do much.
Grahf wrote:But increased temperature means over a period of time sea level will rise.
I'd wager that we would of heat strokes before cancer, starvation or water levels become a major problem.
Mind you, the rise in temperature isn't simply a rise in sea level. It screws up our fishing and agricultural industries. Can't really fish when they go extinct (in fact, some species have recently died off) and few crops can actually grow when the temperature starts reaching in the hundreds.
Albator
Hikikomori

Post by Albator »

We're all idiots huh? Well then I'm going to tell you you're a fucking idiot too since your post has no content, just opinions that have no ground (so far). Just a goddamn rant.

A cool down of the Earth as a result of the cooling of the major sea stream seems a reasonable hypothesis, backed up by reasonable datas. Why is it idiotic? Do you have anything to show your point? Or is this conclusion the result of your "common sense"?
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

I wrote this the other day on newsvine, figured it would work here as well. My sources are what I learned while at University about Western Civ.
Climate change is real, and it is happening and lots of people are going to die due to coastal flooding. Just means we will have to prepare for it, and move more inland. In recent history, we have experienced a small ice age, and a small 'global warming' phase. All we have to do is look at the history of Greenland.

The Medieval Warm Period (MWP) was a time of unusually warm weather around 800-1300 AD, during the European Medieval period. Initial research on the MWP and the following Little Ice Age (LIA) was largely done in Europe, where the phenomenon was most obvious and clearly documented.

Icelandic settlers found Greenland uninhabited when they arrived 982 AD. In 984 AD they established the Eastern and Western settlements in deep fjords near the very southwestern tip of the island, where they thrived for the next few centuries, and then disappeared after over 450 years of habitation.

After almost five hundred years, the Scandinavian settlements simply vanished, possibly due to famine during the fifteenth century in the Little Ice Age (LIA), when climatic conditions deteriorated, and contact with Europe was lost. Bones from this late period were found to be in a condition consistent with malnutrition.
As for Europe going into the Ice Age, well that has to do directly with the gulf current which brings warm waters to England, France, Spain, and etc. As more fresh water finds it's way into the oceans, the gulf current slows down and eventually stops. With the absence of that that warm water has a direct effect over England and a good portion of continental Europe causing temperatures to drop, crops to fail, people to die because of the change in climate.

It isn't 'what if', it has happened before, and we have evidence that the gulf did stop, multiple times in the past. So while we call this 'Global Warming', what we really mean is large scale climate change. We can perhaps slow it down, but we can't stop it. It is cyclic and we have survived it before in the past, but lots of people are going to die.
square-enix
imanewbie

Post by square-enix »

Boy, I should remember my sarcasm tags the next time I post.
The latter part of my post however does concern Global Warming and it's effects, which I'll be more then happy to back up.

http://www.enn.com/globalwarming.html - always a good site to keep track of environmental news.

As for Chinese's massive amounts of emissions and extinction of fish species because of a rise in temperature and increased fishing, I probably found it on bbc. I'll track them down tomorrow.

Edit: For the Europe's Ice Age, I already know the answer. Besides the comments at the Nasa Article explain it just fine.
Albator
Hikikomori

Post by Albator »

I didn't really see the sarcasm, but meh.

Is it possible that the Chinese problem is linked to pollution (read: rejection of chemicals in rivers, NOT greenhouse gas)? Increased fishing has nothing to do with a change in climate.

In the other thread (linked by Psi 1st post), it puzzles me that atmospheric greenhouse gas linked to human activity is about 0.28%. That makes 97.2% from natural origin. I have a hard time understanding that. Or as usual, we are smaller than we think.
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

Don't forget methane from cows. That is of 'natural origin' however those cows wouldn't exist in such numbers if it wasn't for the consumption of milk and beef in general. There was an article about that too somewheres....
Albator
Hikikomori

Post by Albator »

Yeah, I guess the trick is to really understand what "natural" encompass in this case.

My wife's mother is geologist, and she doesn't seems to be too concern about all these things. Her take is that it's nothing more than cyclic, and humanity's role is unclear (meaning unclear, not saying it doesn't do anything, as it surely does. It's just unclear).

However she's scared as hell by "super volcanoes". The history of Earth has records of such eruptions, and it seemed that it fucked everything up for a good time (meaning, massive climate change due to the cinders clouds and gas and of course species extinction). Also seems that there's a couple of those in America, amongst other places, that are sleeping (can't remember where). Such eruption would pretty much encompass the whole America, and seriously affect the capacity for the planet to hold life. I never investigated that further, so I don't know if it's really true or just a tale to have me get off her daughter. I don't think she would mess up with that though. Any idea?
Damien
Dirty Sennin

Post by Damien »

Good bye polar bears? I always seem to get depressed when I start thinking about global warming it wouldn't be so bad imo if so many people didn't drive hummers and SUV trucks.

NARUTO + BLEACH doesn't even come close to the BEST MANGA= ONE PIECE
Gaiseric
Tastes like burning!

Post by Gaiseric »

Albator wrote:Yeah, I guess the trick is to really understand what "natural" encompass in this case.

My wife's mother is geologist, and she doesn't seems to be too concern about all these things. Her take is that it's nothing more than cyclic, and humanity's role is unclear (meaning unclear, not saying it doesn't do anything, as it surely does. It's just unclear).

However she's scared as hell by "super volcanoes". The history of Earth has records of such eruptions, and it seemed that it fucked everything up for a good time (meaning, massive climate change due to the cinders clouds and gas and of course species extinction). Also seems that there's a couple of those in America, amongst other places, that are sleeping (can't remember where). Such eruption would pretty much encompass the whole America, and seriously affect the capacity for the planet to hold life. I never investigated that further, so I don't know if it's really true or just a tale to have me get off her daughter. I don't think she would mess up with that though. Any idea?
Supervolcanoes are awesome. There is one in Yellowstone park, a couple hundred miles northeast of where I live. I have heard that when it erupts it will take out the entire west half of the United States.
Devil_Dante
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Devil_Dante »

In approximately 10-20 years, the netherlands are overflooded... from what I have heard. And that is if the sea level keeps rising. Problem with the netherlands is that the ground is even below sea level at many places. Luckily for me I live in Belgium

Oh and here is something else. Warm temperature causes birds not to fly to southern countries in the winter. Meaning that predators that live from these birds are gonna die (many anyway). No more predators means a lot more other animals.... no more balance in the food chain.
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

Devil_Dante wrote:Oh and here is something else. Warm temperature causes birds not to fly to southern countries in the winter. Meaning that predators that live from these birds are gonna die (many anyway). No more predators means a lot more other animals.... no more balance in the food chain.
Interesting thing about balance is that things don't stay out of wack for very long, thanks to entropy systems like to seek equilibrium.

The predators may die off, or they may migrate north to seek more food, or they may find another source of food where they are currently. Same thing here on planet earth as a whole with the climate. There will be a tipping point, and we will start to see the Earth cool off again. Well, we may or may not see this, depends on if the human species lives on. :P
Grahf
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Grahf »

Albator wrote:My wife's mother is geologist, and she doesn't seems to be too concern about all these things. Her take is that it's nothing more than cyclic, and humanity's role is unclear (meaning unclear, not saying it doesn't do anything, as it surely does. It's just unclear).
Yeah I think thats the general conciesus on this issue. If it isn't cyclic by the time they figure that out it maybe too late. Then again what can we do?
"Context is for Kings"