New Viking Treasure Discovered in Norway

All the news that's new and approved. We want your opinion, no matter how wrong it is.

Moderator: EG Members

psi29a
Godo

New Viking Treasure Discovered in Norway

Post by psi29a »

http://www.bitsofnews.com/content/view/4578/2/
The unseasonably warm weather might make meteorologists, climate researchers, and even the odd man and woman on the street a tad nervous. But field archaeologists, digging through what would normally be frozen solid earth covered in a thick layer of snow in the middle of the Norwegian winter, might be excused for thanking God, or Odin, the king of the old Norse gods, for the helping hand.

On the second of January, scientists from the archaeological museum in Stavanger, Norway made a major discovery of what is believed to be a Viking burial site at Frøyland in the western parts of Norway. The grave sites excavated so far date back to the 8th and 9th century and are very well preserved.

When the scientists started the excavations a week ago they didn't need to dig to deep before they uncovered three graves not far apart.

In one of the three graves, a noble woman's grave, the archaeologists found amongst other things four pieces of jewellery, pearls, gilded glass beads, a knife and and a number of other household utensils.
"I'm surprised, no shocked and I have never seen anything like it in my 28 years as an excavator," said the senior archaeologist, Olle Hemsdorff, working at the site. "The very size, quality and craftsmanship of these jewelleries are stunning," he continued.
And a news clip to go with it. ^_^

Friggen awesome! Makes me want to go out there and help.
MrFelony
E-Thug

Post by MrFelony »

despite what people can learn about these ancient cultures, it still bothers me that people dig up grave sites...I mean what would the people think who were buried there :?
Shisho
Augh! Bright sky fire burn eyes!

Post by Shisho »

MrFelony wrote:I mean what would the people think who were buried there :?
Nothing.
MrFelony
E-Thug

Post by MrFelony »

It just depends because some cultures have taboo's about disturbing the resting places of the deceased.
Tempest
Dirty Sennin

Post by Tempest »

MrFelony wrote:It just depends because some cultures have taboo's about disturbing the resting places of the deceased.

Apparently, Norway is not one of those cultures.

Anywho, these excavation mean nothing unless they dig up Mjolnir and/or Megingjord. Why, you might ask?

That's why.
ImageImage
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

Sad, people who have no lobby always get picked on. Those poor Vikings, having their peace disturbed and all...

I hereby open the Viking-Zombie League, which will protect the rights of dead vikings.

Oh, by the way, it's pretty much habbit to dig people up after a few decades even on western christian burial sites, at least in Europe, because burial sites can only be so big, so, really, it's no big deal. Those people are DEAD. There aren't even any alive who can take offence at the disturbance of their cultural heritage.
Brainpiercing
"Beer cures poison" - (almost) Guts.
MrFelony
E-Thug

Post by MrFelony »

meh, i guess. it just seems wierd...but understandable. I never was sorta disturbed by it until thinking about it while i read the post.
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

MrFelony: No worries, killfile acted the same way when I told 'em about it.

I don't have a problem with it, I would probably be there with the trawl back in my home town of Fredericksburg digging up Confederate and Yankee graves and making sure what I found went to a Museum.

*shrugs* I'm more interested in the evidence could tell us than the customs of the people. Problem is that those graves are protected by the Forest Service and I would need federal government permission which is probably not going to happen unless a good case for it was presented.
Killfile
Flexing spam muscles

Post by Killfile »

Park Service Psi -- Dpt of the Interior runs the Park Service. Dpt of Agriculture runs the forest service.
Carthago delenda est!

--Killfile @ [Nephandus.com]
Skullkracker
Dirty Sennin

Post by Skullkracker »

what bothers me more is that they are digging where they previously couldn't
the winter was cold and icy where I live in the previous years, and this year winter and snow only lasted one fucking day! I hardly need a coat when I go out

your posts however gave me a great business idea: "the skullkracker stupid message boards for the dead in case of their tomb being disturbed".
what could the archeologists of the future read from the little metal plates that we were to be buried with?
- Is the leg bone still connected to the thigh bone?
- It's occupied asshole!
- My mother in law had three golden teeth! Three steps to the left!
- Kilroy was here
- Tell the police: if the gardener is innocent, it was my wife!
- Take my parts to the same museum plz!
- Go find a decent job!
- Is a little peace and quiet too much to ask for?

(I know, I need a rest)
MonkWren
notanewb

Post by MonkWren »

Cool. Unfortunately, they've already dug up a ton of information from Viking burial sites - I doubt this will add anything of significance. Still, new discoveries are always cool.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

I plan to become on these grave diggers so i dont have problems with digging up graves and stuff :P

I have already had a diggin field course,very interesting and very hard work.

My back felt like a old mans after a month of digging in hard mud.

There was a news like this a month ago or two where some lucky kid found huge amount of Viking gold in Gotland who is just outside Sweden coast.