Orders to Cater to Creationists Makes National Park Agnostic

All the news that's new and approved. We want your opinion, no matter how wrong it is.

Moderator: EG Members

psi29a
Godo

Orders to Cater to Creationists Makes National Park Agnostic

Post by psi29a »

http://www.peer.org/news/news_id.php?row_id=801
HOW OLD IS THE GRAND CANYON? PARK SERVICE WON’T SAY — Orders to Cater to Creationists Makes National Park Agnostic on Geology

Washington, DC — Grand Canyon National Park is not permitted to give an official estimate of the geologic age of its principal feature, due to pressure from Bush administration appointees. Despite promising a prompt review of its approval for a book claiming the Grand Canyon was created by Noah's flood rather than by geologic forces, more than three years later no review has ever been done and the book remains on sale at the park, according to documents released today by Public Employees for Environmental Responsibility (PEER).

“In order to avoid offending religious fundamentalists, our National Park Service is under orders to suspend its belief in geology,” stated PEER Executive Director Jeff Ruch. “It is disconcerting that the official position of a national park as to the geologic age of the Grand Canyon is ‘no comment.’”
This is fairly sad, there are a few Geology Professors and PhD candidates here at Va. Tech that are upset over this.
Artezul
Flexing spam muscles

Post by Artezul »

From reading this, I take it the NPS director of the park is a Creationist? The more I read about it, the more it sounds like a large smear campaign to promote false information.
"Don't you get it yet?! If she's beautiful, you'll die instantly!!" Chopper
Albator
Hikikomori

Post by Albator »

It's funny how the discussion(s) we had earlier take another dimension at the light of this.

This is why the question of "Would we be better of without religions" is legitimate. Not saying that the answer is necessarily yes, but it's a legitimate question. People that would rather elect and trust somebody based on faith rather than acts and record are dumbfucks, and that's how we get into situation like this where information is withdrawn from the public. Just because it doesn't fit their faith. Where is the education?

Now isn't the age of the Grand Canyon known already? They are just not allowed to display it at the site itself rigth? It's kinda hard to belieev, but I guess stupidity has no limits.

Still it's a shame.

Edit: I read the article, so it's allowed to sell books about how the Grand Canyon was created by Noah's flood ("A new perspective", right) but they don't allow scientific info to be released. Bunch of scared hypocrites, it's even worse than I thought.